Breastfeeding Moms

Options
Hello!
I'm new to MFP but I'm loving it already.
I'm nursing my six month old until he's a year old (at least that is my plan, we'll see if my heart breaks when he still wants to nurse at that point, I might find it easier to wean him completely when he's a bit older).
I wanted to know if there are any other breastfeeding mothers around here because I've discovered virtually no information on how to handle calories for weight loss and trying to get enough to maintain our milk supply.
I'd like to share tips/information since this is kind a specialized segment of the weight loss/fitness population. Unfortunately- I don't have a lot of info myself LOL!

Anyone?

Replies

• DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am also nursing my 6 month old till she is a year old :) I am trying to figure out the calorie thing as well so no help here, but I have been keeping it around 140... still making plenty of milk but I think I might have put my body into starvation mood because I have been working out all week and have not gone down in weight at all UGH.
    Hello!
    I'm new to MFP but I'm loving it already.
    I'm nursing my six month old until he's a year old (at least that is my plan, we'll see if my heart breaks when he still wants to nurse at that point, I might find it easier to wean him completely when he's a bit older).
    I wanted to know if there are any other breastfeeding mothers around here because I've discovered virtually no information on how to handle calories for weight loss and trying to get enough to maintain our milk supply.
    I'd like to share tips/information since this is kind a specialized segment of the weight loss/fitness population. Unfortunately- I don't have a lot of info myself LOL!

Anyone?
  • DTetz
    Options
    Sorry 1400***
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Many posts I've seen on this topic agree that you burn apprx 500 cals a day breastfeeding. So keep your current daily alotment and add these calories to your exercise diary. That way they will be combined with your daily alotment allowing you to eat more to allow your body to keep up with producing milk and losing weight at the same time. Hope this helps!
  • HHHodges
    Options
    Hi there,
    I too am a breast-feeding mother of a 2 month old - there should be a tracker for it on this site but i can't find it
    I know that if you are exclusivley breast-feeding your child without supplementing formula, you should be burning approx 500 calories per day.
  • HHHodges
    Options
    Hi there,
    I too am a breast-feeding mother of a 2 month old - there should be a tracker for it on this site but i can't find it
    I know that if you are exclusivley breast-feeding your child without supplementing formula, you should be burning approx 500 calories per day.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

You burn 200-500 calories per day nursing -- if he's not eating solids, you'll want to lean toward the higher end of that range.

Hope that helps! Kellymom is a reputable source for all things breastfeeding, so if you have a question, that site probably has the answer. :)
  • DTetz
    Options
    I have heard this as well but can not find it
    Hi there,
  • aryaw
    aryaw Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding too...I knew we burned calories while BF but didn't know how many...now I can add that to my calories burned section...

My doc said I just needed to keep my calories up around the 2,000 range and more if I am exercising (which I am going to be doing more of this next week).

I'm glad I'm not the only BF mama out there...YAY!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have heard this as well but can not find it
    Hi there,

You can find it at the link I posted.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm bfing a 3 YEAR old, but only 1-3 times a day, so I don't add any calories, but follow my hunger when necessary. I do wonder if some of my problems with supply in the early days were down to eating too little, so I will definitely track calories on mfp if I ever get pregnant again, to make sure I actually eat enough!