Sportline HRM confusion...

Options
I just bought a new heart rate monitor with a chest strap because I was tired of having to hold my fingers on the buttons on the cheapo one I bought. This one is a Sportline SX universal combo ecg heart rate monitor. It has continuous-read + on-demand heart rate combination. I've read the manual forwards and backwards and I'm still having trouble using it. There's like a thousand functions on it.

Does anybody else have this model HRM? Are you having as much trouble using it as me?

I did figure out how to get the watch part working to take my heart rate without using the chest strap. And I wore it while cleaning out my closet to get the winter clothes out. I did the cleaning for two hours and my heart rate stayed between 85 and 115 most of the time. A few times I got it up to 130 doing some heavy lifting and stuff but it wasn't that often. When I was done I stopped the timer and after consulting the manual again I finally figured out how to get to the "calorie consumption" mode. Only to see the read out say 818 kC. I'm really confused about the kC part and about the 818. I don't think its possible that I burned that many calories in just two hours of cleaning out my closet. Anybody else have any thoughts?
Thanks for your advice guys, I really don't know what to input for my exercise today.... :ohwell:

Replies

• SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new heart rate monitor with a chest strap because I was tired of having to hold my fingers on the buttons on the cheapo one I bought. This one is a Sportline SX universal combo ecg heart rate monitor. It has continuous-read + on-demand heart rate combination. I've read the manual forwards and backwards and I'm still having trouble using it. There's like a thousand functions on it.

Does anybody else have this model HRM? Are you having as much trouble using it as me?

I did figure out how to get the watch part working to take my heart rate without using the chest strap. And I wore it while cleaning out my closet to get the winter clothes out. I did the cleaning for two hours and my heart rate stayed between 85 and 115 most of the time. A few times I got it up to 130 doing some heavy lifting and stuff but it wasn't that often. When I was done I stopped the timer and after consulting the manual again I finally figured out how to get to the "calorie consumption" mode. Only to see the read out say 818 kC. I'm really confused about the kC part and about the 818. I don't think its possible that I burned that many calories in just two hours of cleaning out my closet. Anybody else have any thoughts?
    Thanks for your advice guys, I really don't know what to input for my exercise today.... :ohwell:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Wow, there must be sumpn in the air today?! :wink: All these new threads about HRM's and such. I do have a Sportline, but it's the non chest strap variety. And hes, just like you sis, I'm gonna get one with a chest strap because having to hold down the button to get a heart beat is annoying. I had thought that wearing the chest strap (or belly band as Ezzie call's it :wink: ) would be a pain, but am convinced now that it's a necessity. :glasses:
    As for all those other functions that have no real use in the world? Why do they bother with bells and whistles that I don't need? Like a forwards timer, and a backwards timer? And a dual clock, and a whole other timer that is always at 8:00? Huh? :noway:
    So sorry that I can't help you, but hopefully re-reading the manuals will help. Also, try thier helpline, and tech support.
    ...think I'm getting a new Polar f11 tho. Reading the reviews of that model, mopst people are pretty happy. Good luck!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    A Kcal is a food calorie. We use the word 'calorie', but we should really be using 'Calorie', because a Calorie= a Kilocalorie (Kcal). 818 does sound high though. You might want to look for their margin of error, and don't forget to subtract your BMR calories and make sure it's properly calibrated to your height/weight/age/gender.
  • agurnsey
    agurnsey Posts: 5
    Options
    I just purchased one of the Sportline HRM and cannot figure out the calorie counter, which is the whole reason I bought one of these. If you can walk me through this I would appreciate it!
  • Pamphone
    Options
    Did you figure this out? If so, please let me know. Thanks!
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bought this thing today. The SX Universal. So far I've figured out most of it. Haven't quite figured out how to reset the calories burned ticker to zero. The chest attachment makes me realize that it must suck for women to wear a bra with an underwire.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    to reset press and hold start stop until it beeps twice, then press and hold the reset button until it beeps twice
  • shannonkk
    Options
    to reset press and hold start stop until it beeps twice, then press and hold the reset button until it beeps twice
  • shannonkk
    Options
    also I have the chest strap version and my calories seem low, jogging for 13 minutes is like 78 calories. elliptical for 45 minutes is 340 calories and I am working hard and sweating.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    make sure that you moisten the electrodes on the chest strap so that it will pick up a good reading. It worked better after I licked it... LOL
  • Marcus307
    Options
    Shannon...not much return for 13 minutes...look into Team Beach Body..Turbo fire or Insanity..you will never use a tread mill or eliptical again!!!!!! I do Insanity..you can burn up to 1000 calories an hour..I DO! Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Were you able to put in age, sex, height, weight and gender? If not, then it won't be accurate.

Also were you wearing the chest strap while doing these exercises? If not, then it only took your heart rate at the beginning when you touched the sensor, and thats what it went off of.

I'd personally return it if you can and get a Polar.. they really are the best HRM brand out there.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    make sure that you moisten the electrodes on the chest strap so that it will pick up a good reading. It worked better after I licked it... LOL

Isn't that what he said? I am sorry - someone had to say it!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    PS - I also bought a Sportsline and went the cheap route. Bought it two days ago and already set on putting it back in the box and taking it back to switch it out for the one with the chest strap.