Kind of scared of obsessing over my weight loss.

Options
I am kinda just putting this out there as maybe a distress signal. I started dieting and excercise 21 days ago and have lost 16 lbs. (YEAH!) The problem is that when I eat more than 1400 calories in a day I become extremely overcome by guilt. I find myself wanting to push myself harder and harder to drop weight because it seems to be an easy thing to do. The problem I see arising is that when I miss a meal or begin to feel very hungry I see it as an oppurtunity to push myself further to see how long I can last. I stay pretty healthy with my diet by just eating right and excercising 30 minutes or more daily, however sometimes I will eat the bare minimum of calories for the day and make myself excercise harder (and I am beginning to like it). I think I may see the begining of a disorder forming and it scares me a little. I have made myself eat some normal foods for breakfast but am doing it in a portion controlled way, but am still racked with guilt if my meal is over 300 cal. I don't know if maybe it's just due to me not wanting to be back in the 270's or not, but I am down to 263 and I can see that my weight loss goal is attainable. I am very dedicated to dropping weight and possibly getting down to 220 and will not accept failure, but I want to be at my goal yesterday! Like I said myabe I am just rambling on but I suppose that even if no one reads this, at least I have put my thoughts in type so I guess that I am kinda admitting that there may be a problem. Anyway here's to a healthier me!

Replies

• hannahncakes
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I worry about this kind of thing too & although I'm afraid I don't have any answers feel free to add me & talk to me any time :smile:
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    I've felt this way a couple times. I feel like if I eat over 1300 I'm completely screwing up. I've also been confused about the whole eat-your-exercise-calories. I understand it now, and I've started working more on eating at least half of them, but if I get close to or over 1300 (sometimes it begins to scare me when I get close to 1250) I feel like I've messed up.

I think you/we just need to realize that starving yourself won't get you anywhere that you want to be. I was basically borderline anorexic in high school, and it made my health DROP! I want to lose weight the healthy way and I know that to do that I need to eat AT LEAST 1200, and thats including exercise calories. I got to pay attention to my net calories, not just what I've eaten.

I hope things get better for you. Just take it one day at a time and it will all come to you. You won't lose 50lbs overnight.
  • Soccerstar19
    Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty for eating. There's a very thing grey area between being healthy and an ED. I personally suggest taking a fews days break and don't count your calories just to remind yourself it's okay to eat.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Don't over worry about the calories then your body might start storing fat and not burn any off if you just eat the minimum and are still exercising. MFP gives you the calories before exercise and then after this is to maintain your calories so your body doesnt go into starvation mode. Sounds like you are already off to a great start with loosing 16lbs. Just remind yourself you did that and continue to loose the weight in a healthy way!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    If you think it's a possibility, you're probably already there. Please speak to a professional about this, before it goes further. I've been there and it is not healthy, not fulfilling, and not a happy place to be.

Here is a list of hotlines that can connect you with a professional.
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-help-today/
    http://www.something-fishy.org/other/hotlines.php
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i think you'll find a lot of people have been where you are. I step on the scale first thing every morning despite knowing that that is not the smartest thing. I can over eat and feel guilty to the point that my stomach hurts. Most folks on MFP are here to lose weight and change his or her life and as a result sometimes we get a bit obsessive.
    If you feel like this is becoming a pattern try to take a break from logging, or try to offset the calories by working out. This is a lifestyle change so while speed is nice figuring out how to live and sustain a longterm goal is critical. So relax and try a new approach if you can't find a balance with this one currently
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Dial back from "obsessed" to "concerned." The excitement of progress can sometimes cause us to be mentally off about our weight loss. What I kept in mind is that "It took me awhile to put the weight on, it will take me awhile to lose it." So I keep track of my exercise and calories, encourage others who on on this weight loss journey, help when I can, and lose pounds. I set mini-goals each week and celebrate when I reach them and don't stress too much when I don't. Your new lifestyle can't be enjoyed if you worry about every single thing associated with weight loss. I've been in that position before--I was 169 lbs, 10% body fat. I looked great, but was a pain in the butt to deal with because I was always obsessing over weight, exercise and food.

Shawn
  • chrislnicholson
    Options
    Yall sure are so good peoples! Thanx for your advice and concern. It is nice to know that I am not alone or crazy.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I seriously think that getting to a healthy & positive relationship with food is just as important a goal, and needs just as much attention, as losing fat.

You are quite right to be concerned, though being scared and obsessed isn't helping you right now. As a man, your calorie intake should surely be higher than what you're eating right now. Do you know who many calories you're currently burning a day, altogether (with or without exercise)? Have you calculated that number for your goal weight? If the two numbers are significantly apart (>500 cal, say), then simply starting to eat the maintenance amount for your goal weight -- that is, what you're GOING to be eating when maintaining your future weight -- could be enough of a deficit for you. Remember, fat loss doesn't come from obsessing, being committed or obsessing constantly, but quite simply from running a calorie deficit. (OK, SLIGHTLY simplified, but let's get the basics into place first.
  • danridge
    Options
    I find myself being concerned about my calories as well.
    I am afraid if I stray from the plan just a little bit I will lose control completly and gain all my weight back.
    First I told myself that if I got to 220 that would be good enough. Then I thought If I can get to 200 That would be better because I would have more room for weight gain and still be under 220.
    Well then I got to 200 and I am thinking what the heck I will shoot for 185.
    I am now at 195 pounds.
    Will it ever end?