work out calories.. eat em?

Options
Whats the proper etiquette here? Are you supposed to eat your calories back that you work off? Ive been eating some of them back but what are you guys doing?

Replies

• jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I am in maintenance mode and I eat most or all back everytime also did this while losing weight and never hindered my weight lost one bit, nor my weight now! I have been maintaining for over two months.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them.
  • vikkisue1
    Options
    I haven't been but I am a newbie and I wasn't for sure if I was supposed to eat them back either. :happy: :bigsmile:
  • drosenbauer
    Options
    If you've already entered that you want to lose a certain number of pounds, the site has calculated that you need to eat X calories per day. If you work out and burn 200 calories, you now need to eat (X + 200) calories per day to hit the original number.

So yes. You shouldn't increase your calorie deficit beyond what the site has already provided, especially if you've set that you want to lose 2 lbs per week.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    when you set your projected weekly weight loss the calories set by this program are less than you would need to maintain your current weight any calories you earnt by exercising are a bonus you don't have to eat them but you should still achieve you set weight loss even if you do I tend to log my morning walk and eat those but my evening workout are my bonus cals to hopefully increase my weight loss hope this all helps xx
  • sweetestthing
    Options
    Don't eat them, atleast not all of them maybe just a couple hundred. you lose weight faster and I had never heard of eating workout calories back on any diet, until I came on MFP. I try not to.
  • phyllisjean58
    Options
    i am new to this, and wondered the same. I just try to aim for my usual, but if end up using a portion of the
    excercize gained calories then o.k. but don't deliberately try to use them all;.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I eat them all and it hasn't hindered my weight loss one bit.

Eat them.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I am in maintenance mode and I eat most or all back everytime also did this while losing weight and never hindered my weight lost one bit, nor my weight now! I have been maintaining for over two months.

You are supposed to eat them because the more energy and calories you burn your body is going to require more to function. In a nutshell.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them, atleast not all of them maybe just a couple hundred. you lose weight faster and I had never heard of eating workout calories back on any diet, until I came on MFP. I try not to.

Faster does NOT = better. It usually just means less sustainable and unhealthy. Creating larger deficits (ie on top of what MFP has already given you) is not a healthy weight loss for most people.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    YES!!! you should have atleast 1200 net cals daily!! without that your body will hold on to weight
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey Misty :)

I am not really sure either, I try to stick with the calories I am supposed to eat if I am not exercising (1200), but if I happen to go over, or if I am dying to eat something, then I give myself permission since I have calories in the "bank" I could use.