How many calories do you aim to burn in a workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    As many as I possibly can! I give it my all and modify it to make it as challenging as it could possibly be!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    As many as I possibly can! I give it my all and modify it to make it as challenging as it could possibly be!
  • yana_o
    yana_o Posts: 2
    Options
    I usually try burning about 1000 calories each workout but sometimes this makes me so exhausted that I find it hard to do anything else in the day.
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    To be very honest with you I never though about setting an X amount of calories burned per workout. I think as long as I am working out it is already better than not working out at all. I always try to push myself harder so. This is why I love 30 day shred, it gives me a great burn and 25 minutes. My HRM usually says I burned around 500 but I think it is way too much so I say I burned 350! I dont eat my exercise calories though and the reason is b/c I workout at night when I have time. It is usually 8pm (Shred and 20 min of turbo jam, or 30 min of swmming and shred, except monday I have one hour with personal trainner) and after that I have to take a shower and go to bed. Too late to eat. I do drink a protein smooth after working out but I usually have at least 150 calories left still. If I need to eat my exercise calories it is never more than 100 calories. Except for yesterday I usually stay under 1300.
    I never did EAS workouts sometimes I do Wii fit but I do not count as exercise calories. I just do to play with my kids. Maybe you need a workout that will push you a little bit harder so you can start to see results?!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am more for quality and length than calories. They seem to balance out since I vary my time. My calories when I've looked on a day to day basis have been varied a lot too. But I am getting about 2000 calories burned a week. One week I did 3679 calories. no surprises I lost 2.4 lbs that week. But part of that was I walked for a good 2 hours at the zoo. We didn't stop for too long at each animal and saw pretty much everything. Relaxed or not I burned a lot a of calories without much work and it showed on the scale.

I go for time and at least for now its getting my calorie burn each week on the target. :) I'm sure when I'm closer to goal I'll have to work that much harder when I don't have my weight on my side. Of course I'm alternating strength via Jillian's 30 Day Shred so its not as fruitful on the scale as it is with the inches I've lost.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    My goal is 45+ minutes of having my HR at 80% of max every day. I'm currently running for an hour and walking abt 1/3 of miles run for a cooldown. HRM said 1253 cals burned this morning. Also the time of day is important. If I run in the AM (fasted cardio) I lose 2 pounds a week like clockwork. If I run in the afternoon, no matter how much, I just maintain.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I don't have a daily calorie nor a time goal for training really.

It just varies. It's generally never below 300 and not usually over 900. I average around 500-600 and train most days.

Obviously the cardio sessions will burn more than the strength training sessions but I value both equally.

I usually do at least 45mins and when I train twice a day it can come to 2 hours.
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I try not to go below 450...however my workouts vary across the board. I really like when I've surpass my weekly goal of calories burned.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I try to burn anywhere from 500-750 calories minimum when I do cardio. However, I never count my calories for strength training as I find it to hard to try and figure them out.

Most of my workouts though end up being around the 1,000 range though.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor (Polar FT7) and I set goals for calorie burn all the time. I usually go with the "if youre not sweating youre not working hard enough" attitude. I aim for 400-500 at the gym or combined with a class generally, although I try to have two or three days a week to peak up at 1000+ calories for cardio and weights days.
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually have been going for about 600-800 calories burned. I use the wii as well to burn calories (270 from thirty mins of just dance, and 230 cals from thirty mins of wii fit, and additional 100-200 with walking) but I'm aiming to increase my working out this week but this is what I've been doing this past week or two, went down about 6 lbs. lost 51 overall.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Short answer I don't.
    I'm attempting the C25K and different videos. Right now my goals are just to complete those.
    I don't think I ever will chose to burn a certain amount of calories. It'll always be how hard I can push my body, not how much I can burn.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I aim for 300-500 burn....if i burn more than that i dont get to a 1200 net everyday
  • SafariLara
    Options
    I usually shoot for 400 minimum. The better the burn the Better! and I try to stick with things like kick-boxing where with my hrm on, I usually burn 700 calories in an hour. Depends on how much time i have to work out in a day