Combating Flaccidity

Options
Hello everyone. I've been using the fitnesspal application ever since I got my new smartphone but this is actually the first time I've visited the site or forums. I'm a 25 year old male and have gone from weighing over 300lbs to 200lbs in a period of about one year. Unfortunately, now that I'm nearing my weight goal (180lbs) I've noticed everything is starting to hang and it's very discomforting. Does anyone have any tips on how to help my skin shrink? I've just started lifting weights and have been particularly focusing on my triceps but I'm just as worried about my lower abdomen. Any input will be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, at this point it's probably going to depend alot on genetics and how elastic your skin is. Weight training from the beginning can help reduce the amount of loose skin in many cases but not in all. I would definitely suggest extra water and maybe topical lotions to keep the skin hydrated but loosing large amounts of weight fast may leave you with that loose skin forever. There are some people that don't have that problem due to the elasticity of their skin...most of us don't fall into that category!

Good luck and be sure and let us know if you find something that works. I know I'm going to have this problem too when I get to goal! :smile:
  • MugetsuNoYoru
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. Although I'm a bit saddened about the possibility of this being permanent I would be more than willing to try the topical lotions you mentioned. Would you be able to recommend any off the top of your head? Thanks :smile:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't have any specifically...I would say look for those that say "firming" although I don't know how well any of them work in real life. Hopefully someone else has some good experience. I wonder about that stuff they advertise that helps fade stretch marks. I wonder if that would work?

Let's hope someone else has some good feedback too because I'd like to know if there is anything out there that works better than a normal hydrating lotion.
  • MugetsuNoYoru
    Options
    I know what you mean. You hear about all those products but then you can't help but wonder if they're not just too good to be true. I'm sure there's several other people here that are going through this same situation. Let's hope they have some advice too.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This topic came up in a different thread a few days ago. Several posters said that they had had (or planned to have) tummy tucks to take care of this exact area.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, the ability of skin to contract depends on genetics/elasticity and exercise. I would also recommend keeping yourself well hydrated and getting plenty of fruits/veggies/healthy fats for skin health. In addition, although it isn't easy, be patient and allow time for your skin to catch up with that fantastic amount of weight you've lost. My brother lost over 100 pounds and he told me that it took at least a year before his skin settled. He was fortunate and has just a teeny bit of loose skin on his belly. He said he doesn't care, it looks a heck of a lot better than being obese! Best of luck to you!
  • MugetsuNoYoru
    Options
    I was hoping a tummy tuck wouldn't be necessary b/c I'm only 25 but I suppose I'll know in due time.

Thanks for the advice hozik. Playing the "wait game" sure is tough but it's true that one's body does need time to readjust after such a huge change. Your brother's story is inspiring and I hope I'll be as lucky as he was once I reach my weight goal. Best of luck to you as well :smile: