new to the myfitnesspal

Options
Hello all, I just found out about the myfitness pal earlier this week. Actually my wife found this as an app for her droid phone, Then of course I had to get it too and now I've been surfing the message boards for the last 2 days.
First of all please forgive me if this is a bit long, as I have a lot I need to get off my chest. I am male,5 ft 8 inches tall, and currently weigh 254 pounds. I feel like for the past few years I have been a yo-yo. In 2009 I got down to the low 220s and then gained it all back. Did the same thing in 2010, I got down to the low 220s and then gained it all back. My wife is also over-weight with me and we again are trying to lose weight again and we are hoping that the 3rd time is the charm. I feel like for whatever reasons my wife and I do really well with our diet and exercising and then for whatever reasons we get comfortable and just stop exercising and watching what we eat. I mean I know very well how to drop weight via diet and exercise it's just that we have the toughest time sticking to it. I truly do want and hope this 2011 year to be the year I get my 32 year old body and health back. I love reading all of your posts and look forward to receiving encouragement from everyone on here. I have been exercising everyday using either my stationary bike or elliptical and I did wonder if I was supposed to "eat" all my extra working our calories and trust me I have ready many, many response on that, so I think I know the answer is yes now haha. Anyway sorry this is so long.

Paul
current weight: 254 goal weight 164

Replies

• barbarabelk
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I hope it works well for you!

I don't have any experience being yo-yo like, but the only advice I think I can give (And I am by NO means an expert) is to not think so much of this as dieting, but as a lifestyle change.

I have tried many diets, but the idea of eating only meat, or only carbs, or only 1000 calories, etc, always makes me walk away after a short time. With MFP I am now keeping very close track of my calories, but coupled with exercise I don't feel deprived at ALL. I know that as I start losing weight, I will also have to decrease my calorie intake, but I also feel that hopefully by then, I will also be able to burn much more than I currently do at the gym, therefore STILL not depriving myself. When I near the end of my weight loss, I might stop tracking my calories after a time, but only if I feel like I am capable to determining what I CAN eat on a daily basis without gaining. I also do not plan on quitting the gym after I reach my goal. I'm in this just as much for health as appearance!

I hope you are able to reach your goals, and ultimately I hope you are happy doing what you're doing!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You and your wife are gonna love it here!
  • SexyRed66
    Options
    Welcome to MFP,

If I was not on this site...I know I would have gave up the first week...I love the support I get from strangers, it just like having a family helping and supporting with weight my loss...Good luck to you and your wife.