In need of some support/motivation

Options
I've been doing the C25K running plan, this was meant to be week 4.

My week 4 was awful. On days 1 and 2 I didn't fully complete the last 5 minute run, and today (D3) I gave up half way through my first 5 min run... Looks like I'll be repeating week 4 next week. *sigh* I did walk at my brisk pace for 2.4 miles, so I guess that's good.

My real concern is that I feel like I quit today without really trying. I've never really pushed myself before to achieve a physical goal. And in scared that I'm going to sabotage my own efforts :ohwell: I suffer from dysthymia (chronic depression) and have a awful habit of sabotaging myself in general. At the same time, I'm wondering if I'm being too hard on myself... In the last week, I've also started doing the JM 30 Day Shred, so that's been kicking my butt a bit.

I really want to complete the C25K and be able to run, not walk a 5K. I feel like this would be a tangible achievement. I want to be able to look back and say, "yeah! I did that! And I kicked a**!"

Any encouragement to help me accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mfergie889
    Options
    I exercise every day and try to run 4-5 days. Even now I have days where I feel like I need to walk part of it, and other days where I feel great and run the whole thing. I think at the early stage, you shouldnt be too hard on yourself, because then you never want to do it again. Listen to some killer music that really inspires you, and if you have a friend who runs, see if they will at least do one run with you sometime. My mom influenced me that way...I used to never run, but once I ran with her for 3 miles non stop, I knew I could do it and I pushed myself harder when I was alone. Once you run that last 5min with a friend, you will know you are capable!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself. Everyone has hard days...but remember...tomorrow is a new one. Just focus and think about why you want to lose weight in the first place. If you have to put up a picture ofit where you workout. It also helps to "whisper sweet nothings" to yourself while you workout. It sounds silly but encouragement from within is very powerful and reassuring!
    just remember the Lttle Engine that Could. LOL

Good Luck!
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    having a running partner really helps. I couldn't even run a mile this time last year but now I'm running 4 miles in 25 minutes on a good day, and I do this 3 times a week...You could always join a running club, also actually signing up for a 5k could really motivate you!

Strengthening your legs helps with running also and doing short sprints one day a week helps your endurance and burns fat faster.

just have patience with yourself. Everyone falls off once in a while you just need to not let yourself down just because of one bad day. Use that day to motivate yourself and remind yourself that you hate that feeling and don't want to feel that way anymore...

hope this helps...
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have completed 7 weeks of Couch25k and I KNOW it is hard and those last 5 min seems like forever and very very hard.
    As another fellow beginner runner these helped me to completed my runs maybe you will find them useful but do whats comfortable for you. Do you run outside or on the treadmill?
    In the beginning when it was really hard for me to run and I felt like the walking part wasn't long enough for me to recover I would pause the work out and walk 1 or 2 minute longer and then resume the workout and run the remaining time. Having a little longer walking break helped me to complete my work outs.
    Make sure you are not jogging too fast. Slow down and see if that helps with the breathing because right now you are trying to build endurance and not speed
    Make sure your posture is straight....I found when I used to slouch it made it harder to breath when running.
    Do you have the right running shoes? When I began I just had my Nike Free Run which I bought myself and liked, however they weren't right for running at least not my feet.. I went to a professional running store and they helped me to find the right pair of sneaks which I couldn't believe how much difference they made for me.

Hope this helps and you are at 4 week and thats really great! (I used to not being able to run 1.5 min :))
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it!! When I start to get tired at the end of a workout I try to do everything I can to not look at the timer. I know that 4 mins of running at the end of a workout seems twice as long as at the start so I try to get absorbed in what's on the TV or really focus on my breathing and posture. When I get to a point I really feel like I can't go on I'll check the time and I'm usually surprised to find I'm really close to the end of my "sprint". It's all about distraction and mind over matter! If you tell yourself you can't you probably won't be able to. Try to redirect your focus!

It also could very well be starting the 30 DS set you back. I've been doing a program that's one day cardio, the other strength, and the cardio workouts are significantly harder after a day of strength training! There's no shame in repeating a week. It's better than moving onto week 5 too soon and getting discouraged! Heck, I've done week one of a program for 3 weeks now.
  • micpen2
    micpen2 Posts: 10
    Options
    I consider myself a dedicated runner. I've been running for years. And even this last week I had a similar experience as you did. I had a rest day, then the next day I had a 2 mile run scheduled. Halfway through the run I bailed. I just wasn't feeling it. I was sluggish, tired, you name it. The next day I went for another run and just felt great. It was a long harder run than the previous 2 miler. The key is not letting one bad day ruin the habit you are developing. Just some days you don;t have it. And that is ok. Your body was just telling you back off a little, even if it felt menatl not physical. So just start a new the next day and you will be fine.

When you are following a published running program, you have to allow yourself some leeway. The designers didn;t have you specifically in mind. If you were working with trainer or a coach he would adjust the next days traiining to match how you are reacting to the plan. If you feel like you are pushing yourself to hard, then go back to the earlier week in the program. And that is okay. The key is to remember your goal, run a 5k. So keep at it.
  • Thirsty41
    Thirsty41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was doing c25k, one thing that helped me was realizing that the beginning was the hardest part. Once I made myself get through the first 1/4 of the workout I didn't want to stop anymore. Just tell yourself this is the hard part and it will get better in a little bit, you know it will. Don't try to over do it either. So do week four over again. Setback? Yes. Big picture? No big deal, forgive yourself... we do ;) I'm anxious to get where I want to be too.

3486495.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Well... I watched "The Worlds Strongest Dad" video on YouTube this morning. I had a great workout after that.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all made me feel better about the week.

@zbstngrl: I run on a treadmill. I like your idea of increasing the recovery... The important thing is the run (jog), so if walking longer helps me complete the run, then I've succeeded :)

@dspearsb: I'll try to think of the little engine and keep chugging :)

@WildcatMom82: I've been trying to avoid looking at the time... covered it with my towel today. I've been using some podcasts, but still turned on the TV in hopes that I would get caught up on something during the run portions. No such luck... I'll have find another way to amuse my brain.

I'm debating whether I'll repeat wk 4 or just move on to wk 5 (as someone on the C25K FB page suggested). Maybe if I do W4D1 and it goes well on Monday, I'll move ahead to W5D1 on Wednesday.

I'll have to reread this thread before my next attempt to give me a boost.

Thanks again, everyone!! :flowerforyou: