Healthy meal suggestions

Options
I'm a picky eater, and I'm struggling coming up with some yummy healthy meal and snack ideas. I love chicken. Love salad. Love raw veggies and fruit. I can not stomach fish, do not like rice and adore potatoes and bread. I mostly eat wheat bread (not sure if that's much better than white?)

I try to avoid red meat, but sometimes I do have a burger or lean piece of steak.

Love almonds, eggs, cereal.

Ideas?

Replies

• safetypins
    Options
    My new favorite thing is ground turkey with cabbage, red onion, and a different chili powders. I put hot sauce on it when its done and put it over lettuce with a light vinegar and citrus for dressing.

It might now sound great, but I adore it.
  • NikkiLynn76
    Options
    Also is pork super bad for you? We usually have the lean cut pork chops once every two weeks or so, baked.
  • sdornbush
    Options
    What I have found is eat the things you love, but eat in moderation! It sounds like you have the right idea with limited red meat, and wheat bread. Betty Crocker has a cook book website that is really good maybe you could check it out!
  • safetypins
    Options
    Also is pork super bad for you? We usually have the lean cut pork chops once every two weeks or so, baked.

Couldn't tell you. I only like pork if its roasted and cured, so I don't eat it often.

I hate pork chops too.
  • Dgimson
    Options
    I take onions, mushrooms and whatever veg I have leftover and dice them and store them in the fridge for lunch/breakfast. When it's time to eat I'll saute them using PAM. Whenever they are about 90% complete I'll add an egg and scramble in the veggie mixture. For fun I've started to add salsa (one of my biggest cheats is salsa and chips so this keeps the munchies at bay). Sometimes I'll add 2-3 handfuls of raw spinach and cook it down before I add the egg. It's filling, yummy, and low in calories and fat.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bread is absolutely better for you than white. Make sure it's natural whole wheat bread and not just crappy white bread disguised as whole wheat. Lean pork is a great source of protein, absolutely.

As far as actual meal ideas, I probably don't have the best advice since I eat pretty plainly. But you could always have some grilled or baked chicken with a sweet (or regular) potato and some steamed veggies on the side, since you say you like all those things.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lean pork is fantastic. Try the lean pork loin roast with a dry spice rub cooked low and slow. It's like barbeque but without the calories.
    You can also slow roast with lime and chili and put it on a whole wheat/low carb tortilla with some cuban slaw. It has no mayo, but a lime juice jalepeno dressing on it. I usually hate slaw, but this is AMAZING! (see Bobby Flay)

Fritatta/ crustless quiche is good too. You can use low fat cheese in it and add spinach/onions/tomatoes or anything you like. Salsa is a great option, too. (see Paula Deen)
    I actually like salsa on a baked potato. It gets some veggies in and takes out the fat from butter, etc.
  • SafariLara
    Options
    On the whole wheat vs white bread thing I found out something cool in a nutrition class this week.

You should only be eating HALF of your bread/rolls etc that are made of wheat flour, the other half the time you should eat white.
    My professor said the reason for this is that even though wheat bread has the fiber and nutrients that white bread doesnt, the government requires all white flour to be enriched with added vitamins etc, so you actually get much more balanced nutrition when you eat some of both. Random but cool. ANYWAY

As far as healthy meals, I love to cook up a chicken veggie stir fry! no rice, and Alot of the sauces you can use are low/no calories, and low/o sodium. Can't beat that!

There are alot of healthy and low calorie meals you can make using a little pasta, some veggies, and lean meat.
    Try allrecipes.com. They have so many great recipes!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I would check out eatingwell.com and cookinglight.com - or subscribing to one of these magazines. There are tons of great healthy recipes for all types.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    Ive been using Rocco DiSpiritos "Now Eat This" cookbook, all the recipes are under 350 calories and they are all modified versions of American Classic foods...I absolutely love it.