Trader Joe's

Options
We just got our very first area Trader Joe's. Yay! I went today and was overwhelmed....didn't even know where to start! Does anyone have suggestions for great healthy finds at Trader Joe's? I bought the Better N. Peanut Butter and a guacamole kit. I feel like I'm missing out not knowing what to look for! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I just load up on 2 buck chuck... but that is me.
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    their raw nuts are awesome, produce is super cheap.
    stay away from packaged things...they are "healthier" than _____ fill in the blank, but you should stick to the freshest stuff you can find there.
    have fun!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I do all my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. My food diary is open, so you can go ahead and take a peak at what I eat from there. =D
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love their mini blueberry fiber cakes --- like little muffins, tons of fiber and only 80 calories:bigsmile:
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you go into the food data base and typet in Trader Joes it will tell you all the nutrition info. Then you can decide what's healthy for you once you start clicking on all of them.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The hummus is good and the fresh salsa is yummy!! I also get their sweet potato chips for a snack. I get my berries from there and zucchini squash.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    TJ's is AWESOME for healthy eating- you're gonna love it.

I love their produce, fantastically-priced spices, frozen fish and veggies, gyoza potstickers, parmesan cheese, and fun condiments and sauces to jazz up your healthy cooking. Just try a few things each time and see what you like. Everything is so well-priced, it's hard to go wrong.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Basically use common sense....buy fresh as you can, read the ingredients if you cant recognize ingredients put it back on the shelf...
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Love Trader Joe's! I stock up on frozen veggies (Harvest Hodgepodge and Soycutash), frozen rice (brown and jasmine), Frozen pops like Fruit Floes (Caribbean, Lime, and Strawberry). Great hummus and pita chips, deli meats, coffee, scones, and breads. Hmmm, let's see, anything else??? The cookies are yummy but not necessarily healthy, LOL. Have a great time with it!
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Their almond butter w/toasted flax seeds is amazing. It's the crack of nutty spreads.
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy things at Trader Joe's are: simply trek mix (cranberries, almonds, cashews), mini bambino pizzas (in frozen section...each tiny pizza is soooo good and only 250 calories), and Barbara's cinnamon puffins cereal. (TJ's also has a lot of delicious treats that aren't so good for you too...it took me awhile to get over the "I don't know any of these brands" thing and just look at the products...they always have samples somewhere in the store too.)
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joes. I miss it. No help from me... just sayin' :)
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I think you'll love Trader Joe's.

Besides fresh produce, I always stock up on these:

TJ's brand hummus (lower cals than Athenos)
    100% whole wheat flatbread
    Spinach lentil dip
    their lines of simmer sauces like masala sauces
    they always stock up on their greek yogurt section (their own brand and other brands)
    ready made salads
  • jmbender4
    Options
    Trader Joe's is my favorite. I do most of my shopping there ! Too many things to name, but on my top list: Bran Flakes, Blister Pack peanuts, salted peanut butter, non fat yogurt .. the best part about TJ's is that their products are mostly free of what I call bibity bobity boo ( words I can not pronounce). Their frozen food section is great too !! The frozen asparagus tastes like it is fresh (once cooked). I do not know how that is, but it is great !! The only thing I have not cared for is the frozen fish fillets.

Have fun !!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe is my boyfriend.

Okay, but seriously, I love too many things from there to attempt a complete list, so I'll just try for my must-haves: frozen veggies (especially spinach, peas and green beans) and veggie mixes (Harvest Hodgepodge is amazing), raw nuts, olive oil, brown rice pasta, peanut butter and almond butter, crackers, lemon curd, tomato and roasted red pepper soup, cheeses, and a whole slew of little candies featuring dark chocolate.

Next time you go, give yourself a decent amount of time to walk around the whole store and look at everything.
  • njgirly
    Options
    AHHHHHH! I am addicted to Trader Joes!!! I love their cheeses, black bean soup, spinach pizza, granola bars, nuts....I can go on and on!
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is a copy from some other post that I replied about food shopping list.
    Some food items depends on the planned recipes but the ones that normally make their way to our cart are:

From Trader Joe's

Organic chicken breast
    Uncured Turkey bacon (30 cal per one link and there are total of 8 links per package)
    Smoked Salmon (the one that is 4oz and 250 sodium per serving instead of 500+ sodium)
    Uncured Turkey Hot dogs
    Organic Ground Beef (1lb 85% lean)
    Lean Ground Turkey Breast

Organic Brown Rice (They also have a frozen organic brown rice which is very handy)
    Organic Whole Wheat spaghetti

Organic Fate Free milk
    Organic Greek Yogurt (Honey and Vanilla ones are my favorite)
    Organic Free Range Eggs

Low calorie whole wheat bread (there are all kind of breads but the one i get is 40 cal per piece)

Frozen cooked plain Artichokes (1 bag is total 100cal and i find them very good as side veggie dish, you can add your spices and its very filling)
    I also buy cooking Canola oil spray to help with controlling oil calories
    Green beans
    Broccoli
    Baby Carrots
    Scallions
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Baby Spinach
    Roasted Seaweed Snack (60 cal for whole bag and its good way for me to substitute potato chips cravings )
    Multiseed with Soy sauce (great with hummus)
    Organic original hummus
    Raw Creamy Almond Butter
    Unsalted Crunchy Peanut Butter
    White wine: Gewurztraminer by Fetzer (110 cal per 5oz
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was just there today. I got a few tj greek yogurt in a few flavors, whole wheat pitas, and some hummus.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joes! I like to try something new every time I go. One of my favs though is the rice noodles. Noodles made from rice. Better for you than regular pasta.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love their cereal bars - my favorite is the "this apple walked into a bar". Get it. The fig flavor is also yummy.

I also like their precooked brown rice (frozen or from the shelf) and some of their tomato sauces and salsas are tasty as well.