Does anyone out there use an exercise bike?

Options
I just got one, whew I forgot how hard it gets lol, I figure I will leave the walking to be with the dog. i am trying to get into routine, I was just curious if anyone else is using one and is it working for you?

Replies

• SafariLara
    Options
    I use one, but only for part of my workout because my thigh muscles tire really fast. Its nice for watching tv at the same time... haha I even played the wii with my husband while peddling... but its way hard, and it doesnt keep my attention very well. I prefer dvds :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I use a recumbent bike (the one with the back rest) at the school gym so I can workout and read my school books at the same time. I love it because it is so much easier on my knees then the treadmill or elliptical.
  • johanneleger
    johanneleger Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can get a nice workout on these bikes. After a while, you can even use small weights to work your arms at the same time. And if you look online, you can find cycling DVD's to help you pass the time. Have fun !
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I use a recumbent bike. I like how quiet it is. I can do my workout early in the morning without waking anybody up. I have to use one of the preprogrammed workouts to keep pace. Otherwise I tend to slow down a lot.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If it's a spin bike (like they use in the spin classes) where you can adjust how hard it is to peddle... you should look up some spinning dvds... Spinning is really fun, I've gone to a few classes and LOVE it... Just wished they would offer the class more then once a week... I've heard you can loose major wight and inches in a short period of time doing spin! Good luck
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    never feel comfortable on the bikes so I end up using the cross trainer instead - will slowly work myself up to the bikes again as i would love to take spin classes
  • flossicle
    Options
    I use mine every day... it was very very hard @ first but if you take regular water breaks and keep @ a steady speed to start it soon builds your stamina and muscles up.. i do 10 mins every morning followed by 10 mins on the crosser.. then depending on the night, i try to do a further 20 mins on both when i get home, to complete my hour..it's great for burning fat and calories..enjoy..i wouldn't be without mine!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I use spin bikes at the gym and I have a turbo trainer (a fly wheel contraption that the rear wheel of my road bike gets clipped into, so I can cycle indoors on my road bike).

I don't use these "sit up and beg" exercise bikes where you're virtually sitting upright.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've got one set up however i find it boring and prefer going to spin classes where i feel like im pushing myself more. I can barely motivate myself to go on the bike anymore...but i hope youre more motivated than i am. Don't let me put you off!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I did an hour outside today. How much nicer to be in the fresh air then in the front room or a spin room. LOL
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like to use a recumbent bike as a warmup or cool down. Its much more comfortable to sit on and still gives my hamstrings a great workout!