HELP!!!

Options
Im thinking of taking vitamins and only drinking my calories. No exercise. Then as I lose weight start eating slowly and working out. What are your thoughts on this??

Replies

• MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there's a way that you can do this healthily, unfortunately.

You're likely to be drinking far too much sugar, and also all-liquid diets are not good for your digestive system.
  • Julesfame
    Julesfame Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I suspect you will faint a lot! Plus you most likely will slow your metabolism and the goal would be to boost your metabolism for greater caloric burn.
  • Skye76
    Skye76 Posts: 28
    Options
    Probably not a good idea. Liquid diets play havoc with your digestive system, and your body will begin craving solid food. If you're anything like me, cravings can too easily lead to binges.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, my advice is to learn how to eat within your calorie range right out of the gate and most of all ...
    have patience.

My lack of patience has tripped me up for over 25 years. Had I just been satisfied with a nice, steady weight loss, I'd've been slim a looooooooonnnnnnnng time ago.

If I could offer you anything else, it'd be to make this about eating for a lifetime not a short time.
  • carmen62
    Options
    Please don't. You have to re-educate yourself to enjoy GOOD food and have a healthy relationship with it. Most shakes also have too much sugar in them, not good for your blood sugar levels and appetite control.

Up your vegis, lean, clean protein and complex carbs. Drink water. Avoid sugar and processed foods, and sugar hidden in processed foods.

Try and change your habits, change you life and avoid the whole diet mentality.
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    I am not sure about the liquid diet part, but I can tell you about what I did.

I lost the my first 25 lbs without working out. I used the guidelines from MFB

SLOWLY by surely I added cardio to my routine and am now at 30 minutes 5 days a week. My next goal is to add weight training.

Good luck on your journey!

Julia
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i tried this- i drank an Ensure in the morning and one for lunch and then dinner and a snack. i had the runs and painful gas and after 3 weeks i was only down 3 pounds. just a thought. . . .
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    My first question is why would you want to do this? If you want to eat extremely low calories you need to have medical supervision. You cannot do that on your own as there are things that could go wrong which you cannot see on the outside, but would need blood tests to watch for.

Second, I agree, this is not the best way to lose weight. There are many inherent dangers of pre-made liquid meal supplements as your exclusive nutrition even if you supplement with vitamins. I am assuming here you are talking some pre-made liquid meal supplement. If you are talking about making your own why take perfectly good food and liquefy it? Part of getting full is the actual process of chewing and swallowing. It is very hard to simply drink yourself full, and I would guess a diet based on that would be doomed to fail because of it. Remember the goal is not just to lose your weight, but to learn how to keep it off.

Third, you do not have to exercise to lose weight. In fact, if you are heavy enough it might be better to start dealing with your weight exclusively through diet and add exercise when you have lost some weight. All the weight loss research I have seen points to diet being far more important to losing weight than exercise.

My suggestion would be forgo the liquid diet thing and instead seek to eat a lower calorie very high fiber diet. Unlike liquid meals, that will satisfy your hunger and will help you to learn different eating habits.
  • allegoriedesoie
    Options
    You probably would see "results". But it'd be muscle you lose and not fat, which is NOT what you want. I recommend you do three things:
    1) find your BMR--this is how many calories you burn without exercising
    2) eat at least 1200 calories/day--if you eat less your body thinks you're starving it and will not lose weight after a while
    3) start exercising slowly--taking walks around your neighborhood or just walking whenever possible

since your BMR is higher than 1200 calories a day, you will have a calorie deficit although not a high one. I recommend when you start exercising, NOT to eat those calories back. A lot of people say you should, but I say no because you don't know exactly how many calories your burn unless you have an HRM. Even if you have an HRM, don't eat your calories. You create a bigger deficit that way.

Anyway, here's a link to a calculator that tells you what and how much to eat throughout the day depending on the choices you pick. It's hard to explain, but easy to follow once you see it:
    http://www.dietitian.com/calchelp.php

Hope this helps!