Question about muscle

Options
I have read here that is takes months to build muscle. I've read you cannot build muscle while in a calorie defict. My question is, after 2 months of walking/jogging every other day then Slim in Six the other days, the tops of my legs and my arms are harder and feel tighter. So is this what you call toning or strenghening? If so, what exactly does that mean?

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• Skye76
    Skye76 Posts: 28
    Options
    How long it takes to build muscle depends on genetics more than anything else; some people struggle for months, while it comes very easily to others. When you refer to not being able to (easily) build muscle while in a calorie deficit, you're referring to the addition of muscle mass. It sounds more like you're strengthening your muscles and getting rid of the subcutaneous fat on top of them. Muscles can be very strong without being bulky or massive; I've watched relatively slender guys out-armwrestle huge guys.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I have read here that is takes months to build muscle. I've read you cannot build muscle while in a calorie defict. My question is, after 2 months of walking/jogging every other day then Slim in Six the other days, the tops of my legs and my arms are harder and feel tighter. So is this what you call toning or strenghening? If so, what exactly does that mean?

Thanks for any input.
    A good website (though its focus is more for body builders, but do not let that put you off) is http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm.

This has information in simple to understand language about muscle and the impact of exercise, especially the "stupid myths" section.

It may help answer your question
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    There are different ways to "build muscle" and they confuse a lot of people. When people are talking about it taking forever to build, they are talking about increasing the size and number of the individual filaments of the myofibrils in the muscle. Actin and myosin are the filaments inside the myofibrils that are actually responsible for the contraction of muscles when you are exercising. They are actually damaged when you use them and are repaired and rebuilt over time and actually grow only during rest periods. So, if you allow adequate rest and give them the proper fuel, they can grow in size and number within 12 weeks or so of heavy weight training. The other way we "build" muscle is to store extra glycogen in the muscles to fuel later workouts. This can happen after only one heavy workout. When you store that glycogen in the muscles, you store it in three times as much water as you are storing glycogen. The glycogen and water fill up the sarcoplasmic reticulum that surrounds the actual myofibrils. When that liquid space is full from the added glycogen, then the muscle can feel harder and fuller, but it isn't actually muscle fibers that are growing. Here is a picture of a muscle fiber.

increase-muscle-size.jpg

The section labeled sarcoplasm is what actually grows first from the added glycogen storage. That is also what most body builders grow more then anything to get mass and size and not so much strength, but that is what they show off with. The little actin and myosin filaments that appear to be sticking out of the myofibril are what you want to grow to actually increase strength. They can grow, even in a caloric deficit if you are properly fueling the body. You have to provide plenty of carbohydrates to the body to replenish that glycogen so that the protein you are consuming can be used for repairing and rebuilding those filaments. If that is happening, as little as 20-25 extra grams of protein a day can lead to a pound of muscle building a week. Unfortunately, too many people are afraid of adding the extra carbs that are required to spare the protein and the protein they consume is actually used to make that glycogen instead of to build the muscle fibers.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    @maeflower - thanks for asking I have been wondering the same thing.

@kimwig - your direct link didn't work for me. But I read this article which I found interesting

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/mythtoning.htm

The Toning Myth
    "I just want to do a toning workout"

"What's a good toning exercise for ..."

If I hear either of these phrases uttered again I will scream! There is no such thing as a toning exercise! "Toning" is an imprecise and dangerous term and its not just an academic issue, its important to your success. The problem is that "toning" has no exact meaning and thus results cannot be measured or obtained. If you tell your trainer that you want to get a "toned body", you are set up for failure from the start!

When you grill people who are "toning" what it is they are trying to accomplish, most of them say they just want their muscles harder. Well, news for you. The way to make your muscles "harder" is not to lift weights but to remove that layer of fat under the skin and to do this requires cardio and reduced caloric intake - not weight lifting!

resistance training makes muscles stronger and bigger

cardio and diet makes you leaner, more defined, and harder (by removing squishy fat)

If you don't know exactly what you are trying to achieve, you will never achieve it.

@trainingwith tony - science is a weak spot for me in comprehension. You mention carbs and protein at the end of your response. Do you have suggestions for WHICH carbs are necessary to consume and ideas of calories or grams of carbs based on body weight etc? Or know where I can find this information? I have been working at upping my protein intake and I think I eat plenty of carbs - mostly in the form of fruits, vegetables and some whole grains but I am alway wondering how to get it exactly right.
  • thadeous
    Options
    I second the scoobysworkshop.com suggestion. he's been building muscle for decades and has a lot of great information. He also has a fun qwirky personality that isn't off-putting like a lot of muscle heads
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great replies.

Seeing a picture of the muscle is fasinating.

The website http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm has a ton of information. Thank you. I wonder what the author would think if he knew a 45 year old, chubby lady from MO was enjoying it so much. :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    @trainingwith tony - science is a weak spot for me in comprehension. You mention carbs and protein at the end of your response. Do you have suggestions for WHICH carbs are necessary to consume and ideas of calories or grams of carbs based on body weight etc? Or know where I can find this information? I have been working at upping my protein intake and I think I eat plenty of carbs - mostly in the form of fruits, vegetables and some whole grains but I am alway wondering how to get it exactly right.

I understand the science being a weak spot. I hated science until I got into my ex phys major. For some reason, it makes much more sense for me from an exercise perspective then it ever did in biology or chemistry. Those were horrible classes! LOL

As for how much you need, it really depends on what type of training you are doing. If you are trying to focus on strength building, you have to train with heavy weights and you should consume between 1.5 and 2 grams per kilogram of body weight of protein and 6 to 8 grams per kilogram of body weight of carbohydrate per day. If you are more focused on endurance type training (marathon training for example), then 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight of protein per day and 8 to 10 grams per kilogram of body weight of carbohydrate per day is more appropriate. The average person who is just looking to be healthier and provide adequate fuel for general workouts, 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight and 3 to 5 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight is sufficient. These recommendations are based on getting the best performance out of the body, not necessarily weight loss, but body fat will be burned as a side effect of optimal performance while training. As for the type of carbs, it depends on when you are consuming them in relation to your workouts. Simple sugars will help more if they are consumed immediately before, during, or immediately after exercise. They are available to use for fuel quickly so that you are using them before glycogen if you consume them right before, and you are using them to replace glycogen used later in the workout and at the end of exercise. Complex carbs are more beneficial for performance if they are consumed a couple of hours before exercise and throughout the day to replace lost glycogen from workouts and normal body function. Protein is actually best consumed after your workouts with carbs so that the carbs are used to replace glycogen and the protein is used to repair and rebuild muscle tissue. In most people, the body can only process 25-30 grams of protein at a time, however, so you need to eat your protein over the course of the day to get adequate protein for all the processes it is used for in the body.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great replies.

Seeing a picture of the muscle is fasinating.

The website http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm has a ton of information. Thank you. I wonder what the author would think if he knew a 45 year old, chubby lady from MO was enjoying it so much. :)
    I am glad that you are finding the scooby site useful (sorry that the direct link did not work first of all, it must have been my incorrect cut and pasting). But at least you have got to it now. The credit for me being able to point you in the direction of this is my other half, who has used what Scooby has to say extensively. He (my other half) has lost over 110 lb now, and developed his body in the direction he wants to.

Has helped us to learn that nutrition is one of the most important things to get you into shape, as if you have a layer of fat covering the muscle you can't really see it.

At the end of the day, it is not just about the science (and I am saying this as a scientist), it is about understanding the basics in simple terms, knowing what food in / food out does for you, and finding something that works for your lifestyle. At the end of the day you are trying to get a lifestyle that keeps you at a weight that you want...
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    He would nod his head and say you're on the right path.