Zumba Newbie

Options
Hello everyone my is Kimistry an im 37 and I refuse to carry these unwanted pounds around any longer. I finished my 1st week of Zumba class and it really kicked my butt. My goal is to git 90 + pounds off by April 27th that's my Jamacia weekend with my girlfriends. And in June is my biiiiigggggg day my WEDDING. So good luck to each and everyone on this site.

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Zumba is amazing! If you stick with it, you WILL do it! Come and join the zumba crew for some more support - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/155314-the-zumba-crew-january
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimistry, I am new here as well! How fun to be going to Jamaca and then your wedding Congrats and good luck to you! I've been wanting to try Zumba, and just got the xbox Kinect with the zumba game, and I have to say I can't get the moves lol I feel like a fool, but it looks soo fun! Maybe I'll have to start it up again :)
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A big welcome!!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Don't worry if you can't get the moves right away, it takes some practice. The key is to just move your body with the music so that your heart gets pumpin. The moves will come with practice and so does the fun!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and a future, healthier new body and heart. You are not being very kind to yourself. Set up your goals in terms of SHORT TERM GOALS (a series of them) and LONG TERM GOALS then a FINAL GOAL.

Try to think in terms of "Just 10", i.e. Just 10 more lbs. off.

You are being very unrealistic to expect your body to drop 90 lbs. by April 27th. Are you aware that losing weight too fast is MUSCLE WASTING weight, NOT fat loss? That process is very tough on your entire body systems and, it is very, very painful. For example, if you lost 35 lbs. in one month, you would be screaming out in pain to walk up 10 stairs. Been there~~~done that!

More realistic: to drop 90 lbs. of fat over a 12 MONTH PERIOD.

Keep up with your Zumba activity. It's a great cardio calorie burn.

Add me if you wish.

Claire :)
  • slowe2523
    Options
    Welcome Kimistry!!! Just be sure you take one day at a time. I love Zumba...I have the entire DVD set. :) Congrats on the upcoming wedding too.
  • Hijinxed_Heather
    Hijinxed_Heather Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimistry, I am new here as well! How fun to be going to Jamaca and then your wedding Congrats and good luck to you! I've been wanting to try Zumba, and just got the xbox Kinect with the zumba game, and I have to say I can't get the moves lol I feel like a fool, but it looks soo fun! Maybe I'll have to start it up again :)

I know exactly what you mean! Don't be discouraged by the complexity of the moves at first. I tried so hard to do exactly what they were doing, and then I realized I just needed to move around and have fun with it. I like how they constantly say on the DVDs that everyone has their own flavor to bring to Zumba because that is SO TRUE. I felt like a fool at first too, but that quickly faded the more I did the workouts. You learn to keep up and add your own flare to it. I don't care that I'm not the best dancer in the world; I just focus on how fun it is to do the moves MY way.

Try Zumba again. The music is addictive. I know you'll love it! =)
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    I try to be silly with my Zumba class. Some of the moves do make you feel silly and awkward at first, so it's best just to dive right in and get used to your body! Get creative as you learn the moves, but most importantly, move your body! All that really counts is that your body is moving so that your heart rate goes up.

I also did want to mention that 90lbs by April is a stretch. Try not to set yourself up for failure and try for 25-30 lbs by April, bit by bit. That way you get lots of little victories, and you get to lose weight the healthy way. We are here to help you do that!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I know exactly what you mean! Don't be discouraged by the complexity of the moves at first. I tried so hard to do exactly what they were doing, and then I realized I just needed to move around and have fun with it. I like how they constantly say on the DVDs that everyone has their own flavor to bring to Zumba because that is SO TRUE. I felt like a fool at first too, but that quickly faded the more I did the workouts. You learn to keep up and add your own flare to it. I don't care that I'm not the best dancer in the world; I just focus on how fun it is to do the moves MY way.

Try Zumba again. The music is addictive. I know you'll love it! =)

Thanks soo much... I'm not sure If I didn't really like it because it was on the xbox... I will try it again, and again :) glad that the xbox game came with a dvd as well!