Crunches too loose/tone belly/side flab!

Options
Hi MFP's,

I want to know how many crunches should I do to morning and night to tone/loose belly and side flab?

Secondly, I want to tone my arms; should I do push ups? if so, how many?

Lastly, I want to tone these THIGHS of mines... Lunges? Should I just GET back into the gym? HELP!!

ADD ME A FRIEND... I NEED SUPPORT and I could be YOUR support system as well :)

Happy Weight Loss!

Replies

• CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I just reccomend getting Jillian Michaels dvd No More Trouble Zones---she focuses on all those areas!!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    you should do a mix of cardio (to help reduce fat % so muscles show through) and strength training :) so yep hit the gym! find something you love to do for cardio so that you dont get bored and add in some weights and youll be all set! oh and dont forget the whey protein. I got to the gym 3-4 times a week and on top of classes and weights I do about 60-70 crunches/situps x
  • TeddyCharlton
    TeddyCharlton Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on Susan Powters' workout and stretch and messaging in her videos. They are low impact and yet effective. You know your body, research many and trade videos to see if you like them. Just go any where any thing for 30 minutes. Wishing you the best. tm
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP's,

I want to know how many crunches should I do to morning and night to tone/loose belly and side flab?

Lastly, I want to tone these THIGHS of mines... Lunges? Should I just GET back into the gym? HELP!!

Happy Weight Loss!

Check out this challenge. I'm on week two of it right now...second time trying to complete it. It will help you tone up. I'm doing the Pushup, sit-up (though, i do crunches as it's easier on my back) and squats...

http://www.hundredpushups.com/challenge.html
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Hi MFP's,

Happy Weight Loss!
    As the saying goes "abs are made in the kitchen". If you have "belly fat" eating changes are the key to getting rid of that (aligned with appropriate exercise).

Exercises such as crunches etc, will help tighten the muscles, but if you have not removed the "fat layer" with changes to what you eat you will probably not see the difference you want.

Resisitance training (weights etc) wil help with muscle tone, and good muscle burns calories (fat does not!).

That is just my thoughts and opinion.
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    Doing crunches is really good for building abdominal muscle but the best way to lose belly fat is to do cardio to burn it off. Just think about it this way...if there's fat in front of the muscles, the muscles won't show!

and don't believe it when people say muscle turns into fat...they are two completely different types of tissue that are formed by completely different cells. It just appears that way because for most people trying to lose weight they are doing a mixture of cardio and strengthening exercises which burns fat and builds muscles at the same time.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Definitely need to say I agree with kimwig on the discovering abs section of this post, she covered pretty much everythinG I had to say.

One thing though, if you're built like me in that thighs are the main trouble area, and it seems that no amount of cardio fixes them, lunges and squats are a great idea! I honestly used to run 10k a day, and my thighs never shrunk. Or even seemed less jiggly for that matter. I was always too afraid to train them because I thought I'd bulk up, but when I started doing Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred, (tons of lunges and squats in there) they actually started to visibly slim down, for probably the first time since puberty LOL.
    Not to mention it'll do wonders for lifting your booty =p
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Doing crunches is really good for building abdominal muscle but the best way to lose belly fat is to do cardio to burn it off. Just think about it this way...if there's fat in front of the muscles, the muscles won't show!

and don't believe it when people say muscle turns into fat...they are two completely different types of tissue that are formed by completely different cells. It just appears that way because for most people trying to lose weight they are doing a mixture of cardio and strengthening exercises which burns fat and builds muscles at the same time.

Totally agree
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just reccomend getting Jillian Michaels dvd No More Trouble Zones---she focuses on all those areas!!

Seconded. This is a great overall workout. It's like the 30-Day Shred, but more intense. I've done that one as well as her "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" workouts 10 times each now and am loving them!
  • charleyh
    Options
    Hello, I am Charrley & 16 And Have Just Started This A Week Ago Tomorrow, I have Lost 7Lbs In 4 Days On A Restricted 700Cal Diet And Then Burn It Off. I Have More Energy Now Which Is Great. I Started At 238Lbs And 5,4in. I am Now 231. My Goal Is 130Lbs. How Can I Get There Quickly. And Also How Many Sit-ups Should I Do? :) x x
  • vburnett01
    vburnett01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Research has shown that you cannot spot reduce. Your body chooses the places it will drop fat off. You can do 100 crunches a day, but if you have fat over top of your abs, you willl never see the "6 pack" until the fat is decreased.

How do you do that? The best way is cardio exercise. If you do a combo of cardio and crunches, you will see the results you are looking for a bit sooner. Remember: DO NOT TRY TO SPOT REDUCE. Just work your whole body and let your body do the rest for you!

Love ya! I'm going to bed now! Your neice and newphews are driving me crazy! :-)