Plateau???

Options
I weighed 194 for about 9 months consistently. I gained about 8 pounds over the holidays. Now my body is back at 194 and not budging despite my good caloric intake. Do you think that we naturally settle into a weight and our body gets so used to it that when we get there again, it doesn't want to budge? I know it sounds a little strange but I weighed 182 for about a year and wondering if when I get there again it will resist?

I know I'll get past it this week.... because I am determined but I was thinking about it today and wondered if anyone else had the same experience?

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in the first place because I had been stuck at a plateau of 157 lb for two years. For two years, I'd gain 7 pounds over Christmas, lose it again, and get stuck. I thought it was a matter of my body having a 'set point' it didn't want to go below, but now I think that was the point where my body went into "starvation mode" and quit burning calories at its normal rate. I actually increased my calorie intake by 200 cal/day and guess what? Continued to lose weight! Yip!
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It is true that your body will want to keep weight it has, or regain weight it's lost. I don't know that it's so precise as to stay around a particular number, though. I'd wager that you probably won't plateau at 182 simply because your body was that weight for a while (though you may or may not coincidentally plateau around there; there is no telling!). Good attitude, you can certainly get past it! :flowerforyou:
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The more muscle mass you gain, the more calories your bodiy need! Up them!
  • Phitommer
    Options
    I've read that in an article before, that your body will fight to stay at the same weight. To kick it out of that you have to change your workout (intensity and routine) - such as start to lift weights to build muscle, or change up your routine cardio workout. If you jog for 20 minutes a day, then add a 1 minute sprint in the middle of your run as well at the end. Or something like that. You have to give your body something new and harder to do!! Good luck!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts... I'll let you know how this week turns out.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Down to 189! Yay! Broke the plateau!
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Go you! :flowerforyou:
  • MoM2LayLa09
    Options
    wow! i thought i was the only one !!!
    i weighed in at 179 when I went into labor with my daughter in august 09
    i lost 20lbs of it 159
    I cannot get below 153 - like you, i got down to 153 then the holidays set me back to 158 and i have been at this for almost 3 weeks... i am back down to 153 and it really feels like it will never move but i'm not giving up and neither should you!! Its gotta move sometime... right??

: )
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Down to 189! Yay! Broke the plateau!

Awright!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have to go solely by how I feel and how my clothing fits. If I focus totally on the numbers on the scale I would have given up. Even though I haven't lost more than a couple pounds since Christmas, I have had three people this week ask how much weight I've lost and another person told me I looked "skinny" . Um, I'm 5'5" and weigh 225 lbs. There is no way I feel skinny, but that is the word she used. I'll take it! :smile:

I'm working out to Zumba 3-4 x wk. and Kettleworx 2-3 x wk. w/ a 7lb. kettlebell. I am also keeping under my calories. Weight isn't exactly dropping off, but I can tell that I'm toning, building muscle and LOOKING leaner. Right now that is enough for me.

I hope this is helpful to you! Keep your chin up and keep working hard!
  • missjeannemarie
    Options
    I agree with lkm that if I listened to the scale I would have given up, I continue to lose inches and tone, yet not losing a lot of weight. I think it's about being consistent and eventually your hard work will pay off. Just keep up the good work and keep doing what you are doing. Feel free to ad me as a friend for support and encouragement.

jeannemarie :)
  • Eidajan
    Options
    I too have stopped paying too much attention to the scale. I lost about 20-25 lbs several years ago and then plateaued at 157. I stayed there for many years, but then the weight crept back up to 164 which is when I signed up with MFP. I am now down to 158 and have been stuck there for 2 months. I am eating about 1200 everyday, if I burn 500 calories I eat half of it and in general have a balanced diet. I have noticed however that my clothes fit better, I have more energy and I look more toned. I hope that the weight will eventually come off too - my goal is 147. The message at the bottom of the food log keeps telling me I will weigh 149lbs in 5 weeks. Several weeks have come and gone and that has not happened. But I just keep doing what i am doing.