Looking for a healthy substitute to bread & tortillas!

Options
I know Lettuce is probably the healthiest choice I can think of to cram some nutricious food between and eat like a sandwich. But any other suggestions? I'm trying to avoid white flour.

Replies

• jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    We have a thing in australia called 'mountain bread' it is similar to lavosh bread but it comes in many varieties including gluten free, rye white and wholemeal, it is great can I use it to make wraps, quesidllias, and cut it up and toast it and have it with salsa in place of corn chips, there is a while recipe book that you can get that revolves around this type of 'Bread'
  • drosenbauer
    Options
    Corn bread?
  • SmellyMelly13
    Options
    I always use whole wheat/wholegrain tortilla's... the lowest cal I can find.

I tried the lettuce wraps for a while, but I found that when taking them to work for lunch or something they just didn't keep me full. The protein/carb combo will help keep you full, so if you take the carb out just be prepared to be hungry again in a couple hours.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I like the wholemeal ryvita they are really nice with some low fat cream cheese and cucumber but you can top them with almost anything x
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat low carb tortillas are very good and low calorie! :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Can you eat whole wheat flour products? Organic whole wheat bread is great and you can find whole wheat tortillas as well.
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I have these on standby in my fridge and/or freezer:

Orowheat Sandwich Thins - 100 calories / piece
    Flatout Light Spinach Flatbread - 90 calories/piece
    Trader Joe's 100% whole wheat flatbread - 130 calories / piece
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    What about corn tortillas?

Are you just looking for a gluten-free carb?
  • bdavis1
    bdavis1 Posts: 13
    Options
    You may want to try a bread made for diabetics. I if you read the nutrient values on them it's great, no sugar, high fiber. They even come in whole wheat or whole grain. I really can tell the difference.
  • bonniecameron68
    Options
    A good bread substitute is the squirrelly bread or steady eddy bread found at most grocery stores and costco. It can be a bit dry to eat plain, I always toast mine, much better toasted.
  • dawnkitchen
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet, but I just picked up La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortillas. They're 80 cals per wrap (they're the large ones.. like 10"?). The package says low carb, but I'm not worried about low carb, so I'm not sure off hand what they are.
    At any rate, my personal trainer recommended them.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Try Flat Out.
  • chrysnel
    Options
    A good bread substitute is the squirrelly bread or steady eddy bread found at most grocery stores and costco. It can be a bit dry to eat plain, I always toast mine, much better toasted.

I agree! I love Silver Hills bread - and my 3 year old son loves it too! It's the only kind I buy now - my favourite is Mack's Flax.
  • sptsimone
    Options
    Any and all Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain flourless products. I have had the bread, tortillas and hamburger buns and will never go back to traditional bread again!
  • JANROSE828
    Options
    Yes the Ezekiel Bread is great and They also have it with sesame seeds and also raisin bread.. Delish!!!!:wink:
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat pita, it's really low carb and calorie and a pretty good tortilla substitute. 60 calories 8 carbs per pita
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet, but I just picked up La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortillas. They're 80 cals per wrap (they're the large ones.. like 10"?). The package says low carb, but I'm not worried about low carb, so I'm not sure off hand what they are.
    At any rate, my personal trainer recommended them.

This is what I was going to recommend, I love them. I make sandwich wraps, breakfast burritos and burritos with them.

I also use the Flat Out Light flatbreads for sandwich wraps and personal pizza crusts, but I think they have white flour in them, I'm not positive on that though.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and my favorite sliced bread is the Sara Lee 45 Calories & Delightful 100% Whole Wheat. Yes, it has HFCS as an ingredient, but it's one fo the very few things I ever eat that has it in it, so I don't really worry about it. Sara Lee also has 100% Whole Wheat 80 Calories & Delightful Hamburger Buns that I love for both burgers (turkey or salmon) and for regular sandwiches as well.

The previously mentioned sandwich thins are also very tasty and Orowheat/Arnold's recently chnaged their recipe so it no longer has HFCS, but I love the hand and mouth feel of actual sliced bread SO much more when I'm eating a sandwich that once I found the Sara Lee bread I stopped by the sandwich thins.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    lettuce wraps. Butter letter is my favorite since it really holds foods well. If you want to avoid white flour Whole foods has an entire section of gluten free breads. I've only trued bread made with brown rice so far. It's okay, but taste better toasted. Mostly I just stopped eating as much bread.
  • carolynbe
    carolynbe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Ezekial Sprouted Whole Grain bread. I tried to eat bread only once a day.