What are some benefits of jogging/running?

Options
Just curious on what people have noticed about themselves after they started jogging/running.

Replies

• PureAndHealthy
    Options
    It's an awesome quick calorie-burner!
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have soo much energy when im done running and it regulates my sleeping habits. Its also an excellent way to get rid of belly fat :love:
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    burns more calories than the other exercise and my legs are toning up
  • sjbringhurst
    sjbringhurst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    People have noticed that my skin looks healthier since I started running...???
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is great, more energy, healthier heart (lower resting heart rate), more endurance, feel accomplished.
  • foleydil
    foleydil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always get fewer headaches and feel healthier in general after running for a couple weeks. Plus my energy levels go way up!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    When I was running (I really want to get back into running:sad: ) It's been awhile.
    But anyways, I had nice calves :bigsmile: and I actually had some definition in the top part of my stomach (got excess skin from losin weight sooo...)
    Now, just weight trainin and cardio, don't have awsome calves or noticable definition in the top part of my stomach:brokenheart:
  • Echoshill
    Echoshill Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Buy great, not good, shoes.

Of my regular weekly routine, it is my favorite exercise of running/biking/swimming. However, it is also the one that will hurt you first if you are sloppy in your warm up, form and/or cool down.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Not to be a thread killer, but I've always heard that jogging/running is terrible for your knees.

Is it really terrible for your knees or have I just been told that because I've had knee surgery 3 times and they don't want me pounding on it?
  • Larry7995
    Options
    My knees hurt after I run for a few days, I am hoping if I take 20 lbs off that it will help.
  • foleydil
    foleydil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here is an excellent article about the effect of running on your knees.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

Basically, it says that running doesn't affect your chances of arthritis or joint problems in the future. It also argues that running can help maintain healthy cartilage around the joint, since cartilage does not have blood vessels, and requires joint movement to receive oxygen.

That said, it's important to start out slow and build up the muscles around your joints, otherwise you could be in for serious injury. Just ease into it, be sure to take a day or two off for your muscles to recover/grow, and you'll feel the positive effects soon!
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Options
    I notice more energy, definitely more muscle formation and definition in my legs, my weight loss accelerated when my weekly mileage went up, and my belly fat is finally decreasing! And the endorphins kick in after a run and I always feel great, even after my long runs!:happy:
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    1. Feel more energised
    2. Stomach fat disappeared
    3. Toned up a lot more
    4. Improved fitness

And i agree with what Echoshill said about the shoes, you will have much less strain on your feet with the appropriate footwear so ask ur shoe store about the right shoe for you.
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Running will boost your overall energy level over time. When I run before work, I know the rest of the day will be easy. Endurance will go up like crazy. Instead of flopping on the couch after work I had energy to bike ride with my boy.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It burns a lot of calories. I did it for awhile. I've stopped now though because I was having knee and ankle pain. The low impact exercises I do now are just as effective and my joints don't hurt.