baking chicken breast question

Options
I wanna bake chicken breast in the oven...I usually bake it in a glass baking dish with tin foil over the pan...i think i usually cook it to long....what should i pregeat my oven to and how long should i cook them for! it will be like 7 breast! a weeks worth of lunches

Replies

• MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Baking chicken breast almost always turns out poorly. The breast is too fat free to give good results unless immersed in apple juice or apple sauce. Even then the moisture tends to leach out. The best way to max nutrients and an awesome flavor is to get a good quality meat hammer. Lay out the breasts and hammer flat with the spiked side of the hammer (both sides) till it's about 1/4-3/8 inch thick (note lace paper towels around where you'll be hammering or you'll splatter meat particles all over). Heat a tsp EVOO in a non stick skillet and flash fry them for about 80 second per side. I use my favorite B-B-Q Rub just before i through them in the pan. Low Cal, good fat. incredible chicken.
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    i poach my chicken in a covered frying pan... i don't know if that affects the calorie coulnt or anything, but it keeps them nice and moist, and you don't have to pay too much attention while you cook as long as the water doesnt run out
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    also a slow cooker works okay, just add lots of water
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I usually roast my chicken breast for twenty minutes uncovered. I preheat my oven at 400. I seasoned them normally the day before and put them in the frig, but you can do it 30 minutes before you cook them. Before you put them in the oven put a little water in the bottom of the glass pan and take a knife and cut little slits in the breasts so they will cook evenly.

I never have a problem with drying because I never over cook them.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Try a crock pot they come out so tender in juicy when done in bbq sauce, jerk sauce, any good marinade it falls off the bone. **drools** now I want chicken!!!
  • liam75
    liam75 Posts: 2
    Options
    Cook slowly with some liquid in the baking dish, cook on a lower heat! If it is still a tiny bit pink when you have finished it, the internal heat keeps cooking the chiucken for a while afterwards
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I bake my chicken breasts, by all means, and I tend to just put it on a cookie tray no cover or anything. Depending on the thickness of the breast I will slice them to half thickness.
    Overcooking them this way happens only if I try to cook them too fast which for me here is anything over 375 F, I do almost all my baking / oven based cooking at 350 F
    Usually 15 minutes per side, I keep an extra breast beyond whats for dinner that I'll slice to check for state of "done" if I don't have my meat thermometer handy.
    And if it's for lunches for a week don't be afraid to put different spices / herb blends on them just to change the taste a bit.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I never have dry chicken when I bake it. I wash off my chicken when prepping in ice cold water. I usually use a marinade- there's a lot of low cal marinades you can make with healthy herbs ad spices. I usually use light olive oil and water for the marinades. Keep about 2 Tbsp. of the marinade set aside before putting the chicken in it. I preheat the oven to about 375 degrees and bake chicken breasts for about 20-30 mins- basting with the 2 tbsp. of marinade about halfway through. Buy a cooking thermometer and you'll perfect your oven time quickly and know that the chicken is cooked enough. :)
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am making chicken for dinner on Sunday too! I am using a low fat yogurt to dip pieces in and then rolling in cornflake crumbs to make a mock fried chicken in the oven. Low fat plain or vanilla yogurt, 5 cups of cornflakes, a bit of garlic powder, pepper, or any other spices you like. Package of chicken legs, thighs or breasts. Dip chicken in yogurt,roll in crumbs and spice mixture, place on baking sheet, lightly spray with cooking spray, bake 350 degree oven for 30 min. 116 calories per chicken leg if you use that. I plan on serving it with some spaghetti squash seasoned with garlic, onion and chopped tomato as a side dish for a nice low calorie Sunday Family meal.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Baking chicken breast almost always turns out poorly. The breast is too fat free to give good results unless immersed in apple juice or apple sauce. Even then the moisture tends to leach out. The best way to max nutrients and an awesome flavor is to get a good quality meat hammer. Lay out the breasts and hammer flat with the spiked side of the hammer (both sides) till it's about 1/4-3/8 inch thick (note lace paper towels around where you'll be hammering or you'll splatter meat particles all over). Heat a tsp EVOO in a non stick skillet and flash fry them for about 80 second per side. I use my favorite B-B-Q Rub just before i through them in the pan. Low Cal, good fat. incredible chicken.

I pound them out using the bottom of a can of soup or whatever I have on hand! Works great. But is 80 seconds really enough on each side?
  • scottg9999
    Options
    I have tried a bunch of ways of preparing it, but so far blackened has been my favorite (especially if you like spicy food). It is quick, chicken comes out very moist and no need to add any additional calories in the process. If it sounds interesting google a recipe and go from there, you can adjust rub ratios with whatever spices you prefer.
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i bake mine in little foil "envelopes" with some onion and spices. 25 minutes at 350.
  • marniehodges
    Options
    I spray my glass baking dish with pam spray and bake on 325 for an hour and they are never a bit dry. I always buy boneless, skinless breast that are pretty big and fat though; delicious sliced very thin the next day for a sandwich or in a salad. Also yummy if you boil in water with some low sodium chicken broth added, shred finely, add a little fat free mayo, lemon juice, ginger, finely diced onion and finely diced celery to make a great chicken salad to use on sandwiches, in tortillas or pitas. :bigsmile:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what has been added to the chicken before you even get it. Watch the labels for additives like broth or water or any other juices. Those will contain extra sodium and sometimes fats. If you get the all natural chicken with no additives it will come out dryer when you cook it. Usually I just wash the breasts and put them on a foil in a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes depending on how thick the breasts are. I put the "skin side" (even though the skin is gone) up and look for them to just start turning to a light brown/beige color. Then I take them out and put them on a rack to let the fat drain off and let them cool before bagging them and putting them in the fridge. You can always use a meat thermometer too, about 160-165 for chicken breasts without skin.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I am making chicken for dinner on Sunday too! I am using a low fat yogurt to dip pieces in and then rolling in cornflake crumbs to make a mock fried chicken in the oven. Low fat plain or vanilla yogurt, 5 cups of cornflakes, a bit of garlic powder, pepper, or any other spices you like. Package of chicken legs, thighs or breasts. Dip chicken in yogurt,roll in crumbs and spice mixture, place on baking sheet, lightly spray with cooking spray, bake 350 degree oven for 30 min. 116 calories per chicken leg if you use that. I plan on serving it with some spaghetti squash seasoned with garlic, onion and chopped tomato as a side dish for a nice low calorie Sunday Family meal.

Oh I'm trying this!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I bake it with a sauce of some kind (like spaghetti sauce), or a marinade. It will get too dried out and gross otherwise. Usually a big breast will take around 25-30 minutes (covered)...just cut into it and see if its white!