Cooking Challenge: Mushrooms

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the seventeenth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from Sparklewolfie who was the winner of the broccoli challenge challenge.

mushrooms.jpg

This week's challenge is MUSHROOMS!

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday February5th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Bumping to get in my topics... debating on whether to tweak a recipe from my menu plan for the week or come up with something for breakfast.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Bump...going to add my favorite :)
  • LizzieBrayden
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Cheese stuffed mushrooms
    INGREDIENTS: 6 medium portebella mushrooms, 6 tbsp garden philedelphia cream cheese, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tablespoon horseradish
    DIRECTIONS:Wash mushrooms. Scoop out stems and save. saute mushroom caps in butter for 3 minutes. Make sure to turn mushrooms and stir often. Drain mushrooms on paper towel. Mix cream cheese and horseradish together in a small bowl. Chop mushroom stems. Mix the stems into the cream cheese mixture. Evenly fill mushrooms with the stuffing. Place in oven. Broil for about 2 minutes (until cream cheese has browned on top)
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 188
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: My family and I LOVE these for a great vegetarian entree. They are very filling and I usually can't even eat all of a serving! Per mushroom, the calorie count is: 63 calories. Even though it takes three to make a serving, I can only finish 2 before I'm quite stuffed. (Hence the reason for the per mushroom calories :)) I usually serve these with steamed rice and beans for the meal. (Navy, lightly seasoned with fresh herbs) Got this recipe from my nutritionist when I asked her about a vegetarian entree that would satisfy my love of cheese and still be quite healthy for me. I've made if five times now.
    PICTURE (optional): Sorry, need a camera that works first :))
  • carmen62
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Roasted Marinated Mushroom
    INGREDIENTS: Portabello mushrooms(10 cals) , 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar ( 4.7 cals), olive oil spray per person (negligible)
    DIRECTIONS: Place mushroom on tray with baking paper. Spray on the oil, splash on the balsamic inside the mushroom cap and bake for approximately 2o minutes until wilted. Nice with some fresh thyme leaves scattered on it.
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 15
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 1
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: Absolutely delicious. Rich flavour. Obviously this is a side serving but easy to calculate more for a substantial meat substitute and incredibly easy to make.. My kids go mad for these.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    luv luv luv mushrooms! B U M P!!!
  • BootieBeGone
    Options
    bump
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM BURGERS, serves 4

4 portobello mushroom caps
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.
    2. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
    3. Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently.

As written (without bun or condiments, etc): 1 cap
    Cal: 93
    Carbs:8
    Fat:7
    Protein: 2
    Sodium 153

We make these all the time during the summer and they are TO DIE FOR! We LOVE LOVE LOVE them!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! The only mushrooms I ever eat are enoki... Hmmm Guess I'll find an interesting use for them this week! Thanks, Liz!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Make sure you enter the challenge!!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Mushroom & Barley Soup

1/3 cup pearl barley
    6 3/4 cups of Chicken or Vegetable stock (you can use low sodium broth if preferred)
    1 bay leaf
    1 tbsp butter (light butte if preferred)
    12 oz/350g mushrooms, thinly sliced
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 carrots, thinly sliced
    1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon (plus extra for garnish)
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parseley (plus extra to garnish)
    salt and pepper

Rinse the pearl barley and drain. Bring 2 cups of the stock to a boil in a small saucepan.
    Add the bay leaf and, if the stock is unsalted, add a pinch of salt.
    Stir in pearl barley, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
    Cook for about 8 minutes until they are golden brown, stirring occasionally at first, then more often after they start to color.
    Remove the mushrooms from the heat.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onion and carrots.
    Cover and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened.

Add the remaining stock and bring to a boil.
    Stir in the barley with its cooking liquid and add the mushrooms.
    Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the tarragon and parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
    Ladle into warmed bowls, garnish with fresh parsley and tarragon.

NOW ENJOY!!! YUM!!!

I don't know how many calories the soup has, but it is healthy especially if you use low sodium stock/broth, light butter, and sea salt instead of regular salt.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Curry Chicken and Mushrooms (based on: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Curry-Kabobs/Detail.aspx)

INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup light mayonnaise
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/4 teaspoon curry powder
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
    1/2 cup uncooked white rice
    1 cup water
    1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 tomato, diced
    1-1/2 green onions, chopped

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine the mayonnaise, garlic, curry powder, chili powder, and ground ginger in a bowl. Cut the chicken into cubes and place in the mayo mixture. Let sit for 2 hours.

2. Place the rice and water in a rice cooker. Turn on.

3. Heat Pam in a skillet and get hot. Put chicken and mushrooms in the skillet and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.

4. Serve the chicken over rice. Garnish with tomatoes and green onion.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 312 calories
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This recipe was actually designed to be cooked on a grill on skewers. Since I don't have a grill, I opted to cook it in a skillet. The curry could have used a little more spice, but I really enjoyed the meal as a whole.

I served it with curried chickpeas (cholay). I love Indian food.

PICTURE (optional): DSCN0248.jpg
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Last warning to enter your mushroom recipes!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Time to vote!! Voting ends Wednesday at 5PM PST!

edit - I always forget the link

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I've only gotten two votes! Keep voting!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Get those last votes in, because we're currently tied!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    aw, I didn't see this posted in time!!! Oh well, I voted :D

Today I made an enoki mushroom recipe too :tongue:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    aw, I didn't see this posted in time!!! Oh well, I voted :D

Today I made an enoki mushroom recipe too :tongue:
    I love enoki mushrooms! So good in soup :smile: How do you use them?
  • staceywoo
    Options
    bump so I have the yummy soup recipe! I love mushrooms :)