Fish

Options
I am just now starting to venture into cooking fish for my family. So I am wondering, if I buy fresh fish how soon should I cook it so it doesn't go bad? I bought it today.

Replies

• LizzieBrayden
    Options
    I cook fresh fish within two days. (Either the day I buy it or the following day) :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I cook fresh fish within two days. (Either the day I buy it or the following day) :)

I concur. If you can't get it cooked in that time, freeze it.
  • capnananda
    capnananda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will just make it for dinner tomorrow. Thanks. :happy:
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If kept below 40 degrees you have about two days. best bet is to freeze immediately and thaw when it's going to be used. you should always thaw under running water. I put it in a pan and let water overflow through the pan and fish. Best bet is always use market fresh fish the same day there may be times when it's a day old already in the case.
  • crazeness
    Options
    I agree I would use it the day I buy it or the day after. If you can't just freeze it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I eat fish 3 times a week, and I always buy it fresh on Sundays when I go grocery shopping. If I am making fish on Sunday or Monday, then I put that fish in the fridge. If I plan on cooking fish the other days of the week, then I freeze it. I have never had problems doing so. Buying fish from the fresh market always tastes better than the already frozen stuff, and it is nothing but fish as opposed to fish, salt, preservatives, etc...