Morning vs. evening workout?

Options
Hi all!

I really love morning workouts, but due to scheduling conflicts, I've recently had to shift all my cardio to late at night (I'm talking about like 9-10pm!). I've heard that late night workouts can affect sleep and induce insomnia, but I've never really had that problem.

Do you know of any advantages/disadvantages to a morning workout vs. an evening workout? What do you like to do?

Cheers,
Jenny

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I fit my workout in when I can, morning noon or night, if I was strictly morning minded and something came up I'd miss the workout for that day, not interested. Same with the others I'll adjust when I can / where I have to. I've never had problems sleeping after a workout even my 2am canoe trips across the lake under the full moon... my how I miss those. Haven't been in the canoe in way too long.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I prefer doing my workouts in the morning because a lot of the High GI carbohydrates I eat when I wake up and before and after working out out are breakfast cereal.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best workout is whenever you can get it in, and whenever you feel best while working out. So you should feel no problem whatsoever with working out out night. That's when i usually do my workouts.
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My workouts are much better quality in the evening or at night. I, too, often work out at 9 or 10, and I'm much looser, get warmed up easier, and have more stamina than if I try to jump right out of bed and work out. If I do work out in the morning, I try to keep it easy like walking or riding the stationary bike.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about when you work out as long as you do. If work is getting in the way for a morning work out then night time it is. If you feel you need to work out in the morning to jump start your metabolism, you can do a quick 15 minutes of jumping jacks, jogging in place and squats to get that heart pumping and muscles engaged.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Double post :bigsmile:
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    As long as you're working out, you're good! If you start to experience problems with your sleep, talk with you doctor :) I work out first thing in the morning because I feel the energy all day, I love early morning workouts!
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a weird schedule where on 3rd shift I work 12.5 hrs then I go to workout right away when I get out in the morning. If I don't do that, there is a good chance I won't get my workout in for the day. On my off days, I like to sleep in a little later then get my workout in around dinner time.

As for sleep, I have never had a problem with sleeping during the night or right after a workout. On my work days I have a hard enough time trying to sleep before I go back in. It's usually broken and I'm always waking up 2-4 times so the most I usually get is about 4 hrs of sleep total. Now today for example, I did a double water aerobics workout. I was so tired, I went home and ate then went right to bed. I slept straight through but ended up waking up an hour early because the kids decided to have a fight right in front of the bedroom door. Otherwise, I was able to get in about 6 hrs of uninterrupted sleep. :drinker:
  • lovebrittnie
    Options
    well what i have noticed is that when i work out in the morning about 30-60 mins after breakfast i feel more energized and ready for my day... and mentally i think i continue to make better food choices because of it. and at night After a good hard work out i think it helps me sleeps... at least i feel better when i'm sleeping... but this can all really just be in my head

but often times when i work out in the morning it is because i want to get it out of the way and make sure i do it... when i work out in the evening sometime between 9 and midnight. its because i'm just getting in or because i hate going to the gym when its crowed
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above comments about exercising whenever you are able too. Any exercise is good, and if you do find you cant sleep at night try a lighter exercise such as pilates or yoga.
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)