Working overnight

Options
I'm wondering what people who work overnight do food wise. Do you wake up and eat dinner? What healthy choices do you eat at work?

I'm just curious because I normally work during the day, but tonight and tomorrow night I'm working 7pm to 7am, and it's throwing a bit of a wrench in my routine. I closed out my diary for yesterday at midnight, but the fact is, I still feel like I'm working on yesterday's food diary.

Does anyone else deal with this? If so, do you end your diary at midnight or carry it over?

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I worke graveyard. when I wake up for work I go in @ 11pm. I treat it like breakfast and put it in for the following day.
  • terisgray
    terisgray Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, working overnight for just a couple of nights will be hard. it is easier if done regularly.I found i needed a carb hit about 4am to keep me going, otherwise I felt nauseous, very sleepy and started eating crap!! Not good when you are a nurse!! I took fruit, vegetables, rice crackers, drank lots water. I did have a meal through that shift usually brought from home. i always needed breakfast when I got home otherwise woke early feeling hungry.
    I guess it depends whether your work is physical or desk driven etc as to what you need to keep you going and awake, especially for just two nights. I would still finish it off at midnight if this night working is only a rarity, and the calorie count will sort itself out over the week.
    Hope you survive it all and don't feel too lousy at the end!!
  • julie4760
    julie4760 Posts: 125
    Options
    I usually work from 8.45pm to 7.45am. I take fruit and ryvita for my supper and eat it before 12am. I've put all i'm going to have on the end of the days count then at 5am I eat breakfast so that goes on my new day but as I usually get to bed between 9am and 10am i've had a few hours busy to burn it off. Usually I wake at 3pm and eat around 5pm. Totally messes my planner up as I struggle to reach total calories but usually you find a way. Hope all goes well for you.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering what people who work overnight do food wise. Do you wake up and eat dinner? What healthy choices do you eat at work?

I'm just curious because I normally work during the day, but tonight and tomorrow night I'm working 7pm to 7am, and it's throwing a bit of a wrench in my routine. I closed out my diary for yesterday at midnight, but the fact is, I still feel like I'm working on yesterday's food diary.

Does anyone else deal with this? If so, do you end your diary at midnight or carry it over?

I've been working 11pm to 7am for the past 2 years. I eat the same as I normally would on a first shift day. I wake up and eat breakfast...then I have a snack...then lunch...I pack a snack and a dinner to take to work with me...

And I log it all onto the same day. I don't look at the clock for logging food. I look at the fact that I am awake these hours in a row, therefore that is my day.

I also plan ahead. If you look at my diary, I have a week planned out already. That way I just complete the "day" when I am going to work so MFP days are completed as they should since I know that I am having this snack and this dinner that I packed for work. (I am very diligent to eat only what is on my meal plan)

I hope that helps!
  • dniapas
    dniapas Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. I was driving home this morning and had a craving for a tomato, so I had dinner for breakfast, so to speak. I also packed some rice cakes to snack on, and I brought six 16.9 ounce spring waters, an apple and three 220 calorie sandwiches.

I go back to days this week, and hopefully I won't have to work nights again for quite a while. But if I do, I think I can plan ahead and make smart choices.

As an aside, I hopped on the scale today and saw that I lost another pound.