What is making you stick with it this time?

Options
What is making you stick with it this time?

For me it's not the things that motivated me to lose weight in the first place, because the motivations (for me) are always the same. I think it's a combination of things.

Number 1; MFP speaks to the control freak in me. I don't want to be told what food to eat & I do want to know exaclty how much calories, fat, sugar, fibre etc I am consuming. This way I can see & decide for myself which of these things I need to alter in my diet.

Number 2; The unbelivable support of my Fiance who is also the main cook in our house. He is supportive without ever making me feel bad & never tries to cheat on meals even though it would make meal making easier for him.

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It has to be MFP. Full Stop.
    It's on my phone and on my PC.
    I've also told everyone I know I'm going to lose the two stone - 28lb I want to lose and MFP posts to my facebook status too.

There is no getting away from it and after two weeks I still feel as good about it as I did on day one.

The support on here is amazing and the educational content in the community forums is great.

I AM going to lose the weight and this site and App are the reasons. :O)
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    doctor's orders and how much better I feel without eating the rubbish
  • LizzieBrayden
    Options
    I have just been through breast cancer and a hysterectomy. I stay on my diet like the nutritionist tells me to do because I want my health. Having been deemed in full remission, I want it to stay that way. Diet and exercise are two things that can help make that happen.

4372300.png
  • MissLadyInWaiting
    Options
    this time for is that when i look back and think about it i realise that if i had stuck with it i would be my perfect weight by now, but instead i'm bigger, and that just pisses me off and makes me think "i have to push through it this time because i refuse to look back and think i could be skinny right now"

MFP definately makes it easier, i use to suck at counting calories, but now i'm really good :D
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    Seeing results and all the support are keeping me on track. Also my closet filled with clothes that. Doesn't fit. I'm determined to get back to my pre-preg weight before my first child and then lose some more
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think before I was never that serious. I might eat only oranges one week but the next week i'd be in avocado m&m city, noshing forever. then i'd go back. i never really held myself accountable. my blood pressure started to go up, it wasn't bad yet but i could see where it was headed so i decided to take a stand and get the kind of body i've spent my whole life dreaming about. let's hope i'm as focused in march as i am now.
  • wonk1968
    Options
    My wedding (18 June) & also that ive been there before lost about 7stone last time & ran a marathon an ambition i had for quite a long time, Im not as big as i was before i started last time, but have decided i need to get fit to have a healthier life.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Mine is that I have to go to the doctor's office for yearly physical to get a discount on my health insurance. That and I want to loose the weight/mass and keep it off this time. I also changed what I eat and drink because of the dentist. The less pop I drink the better my dentist's bills are.

For my health insurance if my BMI (a joke if you ask me) is above 30 then I have to go every six months, and now I have to join a health program like Weight Watchers, or have a pedometer that uploads how many steps I take in a day for 13 weeks.

The Big Wake-up was in August when I went to the doctor and I had put on ten pounds since my wedding in May. I knew I could do better then this, and I have. I'm better looking and healthier now then when I was 25 years old. I'm only 15 lb. heavier then when I left high school ten years ago. And that motivates me even more.
  • CarthagoDelendaEst
    Options
    This is a brilliant question. I've tried to lose weight so many times before, I'm not sure what it is that is making me stick with it now, even when I slip-up. When I slipped-up in the past, I would just say "forget it" and go back to eating whatever I wanted. But now, I'm finding it a lot easier. I guess I have lots more tricks up my sleeves; I guess that I've picked them up from all my past attempts at weight loss. Now I look forward to meeting my goals. I look forward to eating well that day, knowing that it will make me feel less bloated, yet satisfied. I look forward to being able to tell my mum that I've lost another pound.

All these little things, at the moment, are making me stick with it, I guess.
  • StephanieConnelly
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for 20 days and started dieting 5 days before that but i'm already starting to feel healthier and have never stuck to a diet before for more than a week, I think taking Orlistat is helping as I know I can't cheat with those or eat anything with much fat in at all!
    I started to feel ill and tired all the time just before I started dieting and knew I had to try really hard this time and started the day my daughter started school so I knew i'd also be getting exercise everyday aswell taking her and picking her up as the school is about half an hour away! I am determined this time its just different to the other times I have tried!
    Good luck to everyone on getting to your goals and keeping healthy! :-)
  • Suzy_B
    Suzy_B Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have just been through breast cancer and a hysterectomy. I stay on my diet like the nutritionist tells me to do because I want my health. Having been deemed in full remission, I want it to stay that way. Diet and exercise are two things that can help make that happen.

I'm very glad to hear that you're in remission! Your health is a very good reason to stick with it, Good Luck!!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    MFP has made me feel for the first time in my life like I'm not on a diet I plan what my main meals are every morning put them in here and see what cals I have left for my snacks so I can have the mars bar the packet of crisps or the tube of fruit pastilles all the things I would crave and avoid and then one day just consume all in one go. I still want to achieve the weight loss so I can enjoy my sons life more and be a more active part in it but I love my food and MFP has given me that back in moderation that is
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I promised myself that I would be healthier in my 30's then in my 20's. That is my motivation. I have 6 months till my 31st Bday & I want to lose the weight and feel great by then. That way I am being true to my mission to be healthier.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    MFP has made me feel for the first time in my life like I'm not on a diet I plan what my main meals are every morning put them in here and see what cals I have left for my snacks so I can have the mars bar the packet of crisps or the tube of fruit pastilles all the things I would crave and avoid and then one day just consume all in one go. I still want to achieve the weight loss so I can enjoy my sons life more and be a more active part in it but I love my food and MFP has given me that back in moderation that is

so true..i think it's the moderation factor, understanding that you can still eat your 1800 calories your BMR wants you to..you just have to exercise first. moderation and being able to understand exactly how the weight gets lost, and knowing exactly when you're going over. if i didn't keep track there's no way i would have lost any weight without just starving myself and then gaining it all back in a month (been there done that like 100x)
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For me never had to do any type of dieting...calories controlling....always had some sort of exercise routine in my life! Any how I was going through about 10/12 cans of coke (full) in a week....mixed this with bacardi and you can guess!... Still did my 3 x week jogging...but weight just remained the same....we as a family have always eat healthy (hubby being the main chef and he does cook/prepare everything)...I also to be fair didn't watch my portions.....

So reason for sticking with a cal control is: my hubby, my 2 children,myself...have lots of outfits in my wardrobe and I refuse to buy any new....will fit back into those. MFP also and all the people on this journey which gives such positive support.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated because like you I like being able to pick and choose my own foods.

I like that I have 24 hours of access whether I am home on my computer or on the run with my phone

I now have a child to live for and being a single parent 4 hours away from any real family I am all she has and she is all I have

I have my mother and sisters support as they too have joined and are losing

Last but not least my blog which now has opened my life to the world and there are people I dont even know reading and supporting.
  • Serenity79
    Options
    Definitely MFP. I've been here for almost a month now, and I think this is the longest that I've ever stuck to any 'diet' in my life! Normally after a couple of weeks I'd get bored, or give in to cravings and then think I might as well scrap the whole thing, or just get overwhelmed by the 'diet plan' and what I'm 'allowed to eat'. None of this has happened with MFP. I can choose my meals and know exactly what I'm eating, plus logging it all appeals to my computer geek side, lol. I'm never far from my computer, phone or iTouch so I'm always able to log. I've done food diaries before but after a while you get lazy and forget to write stuff down. With MFP I can't wait to log everything in!!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think wanting to be at a healthy weight when I get pregnant (so I can be all belly) is what is really motivating me right now. I've lost 20 pounds in the past, but by the time I got to 159 (and I wasn't even at the healthy weight range yet) I felt so good that I just... stopped. What kind of sense is that?

Now that I know I have to be healthy for me and the babe, plus it's way easier to lose the baby weight when you're already at a normal weight, is this huge driving force.

I feel so amazing. I don't ever want to do this to myself again!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I'm a planner and MFP makes it so easy to plan everything beforehand. Seeing the changes in my body is keeping me motivated. It's also always in the back of my mind that my my father was diagnosed with diabetes when he was only a little older than I am now.
  • tkrepps
    tkrepps Posts: 15
    Options
    I just started 3 days ago. I can't say that this is different, but I have learned not to say this time is it. I only get myself discouraged and people get tired of hearing it. I did not tell anyone that I am doing this, because I have heard in the past "you always say that and it never happens". That hurts when no one has faith in you, but they are right. I need to have faith in me this time. I am going to take this one day at a time. I have never stayed with something more than 3 days so after today I will have hit a new success. I do love the support on MFP and I need that support. So many people seem to be writing about my life and I see that I am not alone. Thanks to each and everyone of you.

Tracy