A bit confused

Options
Hi I have just started yesterday and looking at my meals for today hit a problem someone will be able to help me with

Lunch Ham sandwich. looking for calaories. home made 240...... home made with 1 slice of bread 540.. so which will I use and I used 2 slices of bread.

Dinner. Roast pork dinner 900 ........roast pork and apple dinner 380.

These are big differences and choosing the wrong one will not help me

Has anyone else had these issues and what would you do

thanks Ann

Replies

• aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    Try adding all of the ingredients seperately, ie, the brand/type/size of breads can be very different, as can hams, etc.
  • bstiver
    bstiver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For that kind of stuff I either add everything in seperately (for the sandwich) or create my own recipe.
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I am logging food, I log it by ingredient, not by meal. For example if I have a sandwich, I search for my brand of bread (I use a 35 calorie wheat bread) then I search for sliced ham (by brand if possible) then I add my mustard, lettuce and cheese (if applicable)

With the pork roast dinner...it's all about preparation. When you search for pork roast, try to be specific with how you ate it...was covered in sauce? Was it sitting in drippings? If it didn't seem healthy I'd probably pick the option with more calories. (Also check serving sizes, you might only eat 3-4 ounces and the serving size might have been for 7-8)
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I try to use the entries that are already available...but if they seem too far off then you would need to add by seperate ingrediant. Which bread, which lunch meat - brands can cause a big different in calorie count so something like that I would enter seperatley.

Don't give up...it is worth the effort once you get the hang of it. Feel free to add me if I can help in any way.
  • wendysmith18
    Options
    I'm new on here but I look up the bread I use ie hovis 50/50 and then the ham and salad etc, so my ham sandwich with coleslaw and cranberry sauce works out to 324 cals, then I've saved it as a meal because I will eat it again. I did the same for roast beef dinner yesterday, that worked out to 620 cals.
    I hope this helps (and makes sense)?
    Wendy
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If I can I log everything individually ... yes it takes a little more time but it ensures my calories are accurate ... I also tend to double check the calories that come up because sometimes people enter the wrong information of companies change things about their products
  • janski2
    janski2 Posts: 70
    Options
    Put foods individually. For instance, I have 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped radishes, 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes, 1/4 head of lettuce in my salad. I don't just put side salad. I want to know how much fiber I am getting. I lose faster the more fiber I eat. Get a little scales and weigh your pork and put in how much you ate. You can look at my food diary. Just ignore the weekend. I eat really weird o the weekend. Good luck.
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    I log items separately unless it is obviously the same thing - such as a store bought sandwich.

If in doubt you can just add up the calories and quick add them - so for a ham sandwich - check what the packet says for the bread, ham etc and add them up.

Then you are likely to be reflecting what you have eaten.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I always put the pieces of my meal in individual. I would put in my bread, then my meat, then my toppings and so on. After you have all of the individual items logged, create a meal and call it sub sandwich. This way you know you have the correct calorie amount and from now on you never have to figure it out individually again because the specific sub you made has been figured out for you.
  • coxan56
    Options
    Hi Thanks. All that advice came very quick. I will do what everyone seems to be doing and add it seperately

Thanks Ann
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Definitely log everything separately.
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    wow glad i read this post

i had my ham sandwiches down as 240cals each

just worked them out from the actual calories on the packaging and there 78 cals each

individual from now on !!

allthough just totted my sunday dinner up at 690 haha