Do you really think you are eating real blueberries?

Options
http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=7EC06D27B1A945BE85E7DA8483025962

Hi all,
I am a major fan of truth in advertising particularly when it comes to the food we eat.
I came across this video that explains exactly what "Blueberry Bits" are.

So I hope you have not had breakfast yet, You might not want that Blueberry muffin after you see this.

Replies

• biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nice article! Thanks for sharing! I'm a bit disgusted now though. :(
  • BlkOnyx488
    Options
    Me too. It made me flashback to all the fake fruit I have eaten over the years YUCK
    Nice article! Thanks for sharing! I'm a bit disgusted now though. :(
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine what Im about to read ... glad I only eat fresh blueberries ... no muffins, pancakes, cookies, .... i want that fresh picked berry
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know about that. I'm guilty of thinking there are REAL blueberries in even seemingly healthy foods...boy, do I know better now!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I guess if I want a blueberry muffin, I'll have to make them myself - from scratch!
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    good article...it's one of those things where we 'know' what we're eating isn't high quality, but we assume there is something good in there...sadly we are often mistaken :(
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Those companies go on the assumption that the average consumer is stupid, in a hurry and won't stop to read a label. I was guilty of that for a long time. I think consumers are realizing that just because big company says it is so...it ain't necessarily so!! Bleck! I fed that crap to my kids! Not really sure who I am more angry with because of that...myself or (insert big company name)!!!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, and i see the point of the video and do find it disgusting that the companies do this, but unfortunately a lot of people have no choice but to pick the artificial ones. The real berry products pointed out in the video cost two to three times as much. I would love to be able to have them, but i certainly can't afford them, not even a basket of real blueberries to cook with, unless it is July. As much as i do not want the chemicals etc. i like the taste of the blueberries and so if i want them, i have to buy the fake ones. (thankfully it is not often, because even these 'healthy' foods are pricey).
  • shaheerahs
    shaheerahs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Man, it really stinks what they pass off as food these days. Just to save money I guess. It just enforces the fact that we really need to the label on everything we buy now.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    great video! thanks for sharing...I am a HUGE lable reader when I shop, and I am always trying to avoid stuff like this...I make my own muffins that way I actually know what is goig in them - like real blueberries :)
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yikes!!!! I never eat any food with HFCS or hydrogenated foods so I personally don't feel scammed, but it's ridiculous what the food administration thinks is okay to eat. How can we make a change?
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was actually impressed that my GM Oatmeal Crisp Triple Berry is not one of the "fakers" out there. Real fruit and no food colouring.

However, my Kashi Toasted Berry Crisp has dried blueberries and cranberries that have evaporated cane juice, vegetable glycerin, rice flour and expeller pressed canola oil (cranberries only). Kinda funny when I thought Kashi was a "high end" better cereal choice.
  • BlkOnyx488
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashi_Company
    Kashi may have had humble beginnings with good intentions, but they unfortunately got purchased by **INSERT MAJOR FOOD BRAND HERE* So now I would not touch them with a ten foot pole :(
    Unfortunately they are still allowed to do commercial showing people hiking through remote villages looking for natural food. it doesn't find it's way in the box anymore *sad*
    I was actually impressed that my GM Oatmeal Crisp Triple Berry is not one of the "fakers" out there. Real fruit and no food colouring.

However, my Kashi Toasted Berry Crisp has dried blueberries and cranberries that have evaporated cane juice, vegetable glycerin, rice flour and expeller pressed canola oil (cranberries only). Kinda funny when I thought Kashi was a "high end" better cereal choice.
  • BlkOnyx488
    Options
    I think the only way to change it. is to become more informed and make different choices. I have read articles about how consumer useage of HFCS has dropped 24% so of course the makers of HFCS are trying to get the right to rename the product "Corn Sugar" To intice us to return to the product. They want us to believe it's natural, even though it's made from the same Genetically Modified Corn that is fed to cows to make them grow to full size in half the time. Our bodies were not made to process all this extra corn they put in our food.
    Which is considered by many a leading cause in the Obesity epidemic we are facing today.

Yikes!!!! I never eat any food with HFCS or hydrogenated foods so I personally don't feel scammed, but it's ridiculous what the food administration thinks is okay to eat. How can we make a change?
  • BlkOnyx488
    Options
    I know it's tough now a days, I use coupons whenever and where ever I can. I always use coupons for toiletries and soaps and cleaning products, I make my junk food like whole wheat white chocolate chip cookies. If I am going to cheat I might as well work for.
    My goal every shopping day is to knock off 25 to 50 dollars off my bill. when I do that I find I can choose more organic products.
    Thanks for sharing, and i see the point of the video and do find it disgusting that the companies do this, but unfortunately a lot of people have no choice but to pick the artificial ones. The real berry products pointed out in the video cost two to three times as much. I would love to be able to have them, but i certainly can't afford them, not even a basket of real blueberries to cook with, unless it is July. As much as i do not want the chemicals etc. i like the taste of the blueberries and so if i want them, i have to buy the fake ones. (thankfully it is not often, because even these 'healthy' foods are pricey).
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! consumers do need to be more informed, It's amazing the crap manufacturers try and sneak past us.
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    it is disgusting what we have been putting in our systems over the years. Just goes to show, the old way of making things from scratch although time consuming and sometimes more expensive is the way to go.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes! The carton says "Blueberries" very clearly. :tongue:
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I've been having one of those days where all I want to stuff down is processed, sugary rubbish. You've just reminded me exactly what is in those foods and I am disgusted with myself for what i've eaten today. I am now, once again, determined to make next week all about cooking from scratch and eating well.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm very glad I grow my own blueberries in my front yard! It's so nice to be able to go out on a summer morning and pick what I need for our pancakes. I also happen to live in an area where blueberry farms are all over and have u-pick rates. I pick mine and freeze them so I have them all winter. If you live anywhere near one of these it's a good deal and you know you're getting the real thing.