How many calories should I burn?

Options
I usualy burn about 300 calories on average 5 times a week using my cross-trainer but how much should I burn to acheive weight loss? Which exercises works best?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    weight loss is achieved by reducing calories, eating whole foods, and exercising daily. Some days I burn under 200, other days I burn 400. It really does not matter, as long as you are exercising and getting your heart rate in the proper zone.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    as the sayin goes, cut 500 calories and burn 500 calories. You need to do more than just a cross trainer thou. Try add in some resistance or weight training. Muscle burns fat.
  • nmunson4
    nmunson4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try and burn between 1000 and 1500 calories a day just in cardio, and I do that 6 days a week. I have a goal to lose 10 pounds a month, and it's worked for me so far!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I burn 300-600 calories per workout and I try to make it to the gym 4-5 times a week. I always eat all my exercise calories and in 3 months I've lost 12 pounds and 12 inches.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Most weight loss is in the kitchen, and exercise is just a bonus. So as long as you're eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose, regardless of whether you're exercising. 300 calories 5 times a week sounds pretty good to me. :)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    30 - 60 mins at least of good cardio everyday i'd say. plus reduced cal intake. differant heart rate levels = differant effects. read up on a few sites. freedieting.com, howtobefit.com, build-muscle-burn-fat.com, fitwatch, etc. the third one has alot of info on heart rates and burning. others have handy calculators to roughly estimate things.
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    Goalseeker is right muscle burns more calories. My trainer tells me he doesn't care what kind of cardio I do as long as I'm moving. As your fitness level increases you will naturally start to burn more calories. So just keep moving!
  • Herenya
    Herenya Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usualy burn about 300 calories on average 5 times a week using my cross-trainer but how much should I burn to acheive weight loss? Which exercises works best?
    If you look at your tracker when you are inputting your exercise it will tell you what your target calorie burning should be for each work out. And since the tracker is tailored to you it will give you an accurate estimation of how much you alone should be doing. It also helps if you use machines that help you track the calories your burning during your workout so you are sure to be burning the amount you need.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Most weight loss is in the kitchen, and exercise is just a bonus. So as long as you're eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose, regardless of whether you're exercising. 300 calories 5 times a week sounds pretty good to me. :)

As usual, sound advice!! :0)
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have just been watching making sure I eat my 1200 calories and if I go to the gym I try to burn at least 300+ calories. I have been eating those calories back because I still feel as thought I will be at a deficit. Like the like post about the kitchen is where she burns calories I agree. I just excised to make me feeeeel goood. Oh, I been drinking water like crazy which makes me feeeel even bettterrr.