Question for those with PCOS

Options
If any of you are watching your carbs, how are you doing with that? I always seem to be over because I tend to eat things like cereal for breakfast or if I have an egg I have to have toast with it, and lunch is easily a sandwich or leftovers from dinner (which consists of many carbs), dinner is probably easiest for me to eat lower carb but I tend to like a lot of starchy vegetables or pasta. My snacks consist of granola bars or fruit which is high in carbs (for the most part). =/ I'm just having a really hard time trying to keep it in control. Any tips? Ideas?

Replies

• heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The Diet Solution is the best thing I've ever done since getting diagnosed with PCOS. Follow the protein plan. It is worth the money.
  • esthertsivia
    esthertsivia Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am usually going over my carbs too but am trying to replace cereal with eggs, brownies with fruit cups, etc., and it's making a big difference. Good luck!
  • tlusco
    tlusco Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey! I, too, have difficulty finding things to eat that aren't carb-based (cause it's so easy to find carbs and they're so cheap!). For breakfast, though, I've tried to cut out starches and add in vegetables, such as peppers, onions, mushrooms. I also eat all-natural peanut butter (has some carbs, but great for protein and healthy oils) with celery. Seeds and beans are good. Oatmeal is a carb, but the old-fashioned are complex and have higher fiber. Sometimes I eat soup. I think a lot of the problem with eating breakfast has to do with the fact we're programmed to eat certain things for breakfast. I'm trying to step out of my "comfort" zone for breakfast and try new things that I would have only considered eating for lunch or supper before. I hope this has helped give you some ideas and get the ball going, so to speak. :o)
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    If you have a stachy carb such as white pasta or bread, make sure you eat an extra protein with it. Try switching over to whole grain carbs. I'm a pasta/bread kind of girl myself, but switching over to the brown stuff still give me that satisfaction.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but I follow a lower carb/no added sugar diet. The best advice I can give you is to initially shop for REAL food. Lean protein and lots of veggies and fruit. Check labels carefully. You'll be surprised how much added sugar [corn syrup, molasses, honey, etc] is added into things. I've recently added in sugar free whole grain bread and brown rice, too. It's not EASY, but it is so so worth it.
  • prencesskl
    Options
    I'm an italian pasta and bread girl, so the carb thing only usually works for a week with me before I binge like crazy. I found that the metformin my dr prescribed really really really helped, and I don't have to watch my carbs as much.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on how many carbs, but the type of carbs. The reason low carb is successful for women with PCOS is because most women have Insulin Resistance, where there is too much sugar in the blood. In order to keep that under control you need to eat foods that break down in your body at a much slower rate, preventing your blood sugar from rising.

Cereal is probably not the best food to eat period. Even the healthier cereals have added sugars are are processed beyond belief. Having eggs with whole wheat toast is great, add a slice of bacon or turkey sausage and you have a well balanced meal!

What I do is I follow a Low Glycemic plan they use a Green, Yellow & Red Stop light system, where green light foods are foods you can eat and not worry about it, yellow are to be used in moderation and red are stay away foods. I do carb combining to keep my blood sugar at a good level, so if I have a fast carb (like bread) I eat a protein and slow carb to help it break down at a much slower rate.

I realized I didn't really answer your question. But you are welcome to check out my diary. I usually stay around 100-125 Net carbs a day! .. I've been doing really good lately. But I do tend to eat a cookie etc. which throws me way off.
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have recently been diganosed with dieietes. I try to keep my carbs 50 or under per meal this has helped with everything. I now get my period on a regular basis and my blood sugars are getting under control. It might help if you went to see a nutrisionist. They could really help you understand what types of carbs are going to work best for you. I do eat stuff I should not but if I eat a high carb meal I get on the treadmill with in 30 min. Excersie helps lower blood sugar. Good Luck on your journey.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I normally eat whole wheat breads and pastas and such, so I am glad that is helping in some way!
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I find that greek yogurt and egg whites are great protein breakfast options. If you need toast with your eggs I would recommend something like a high fiber - low cal english muffin, but try without the toast for a while and see if you stop missing it. I love scrambling egg whites with fresh salsa (basically chopped tomatoes and onions) and maybe a little cottage cheese and find that if I do it right I don't need anything else with it.
    Good luck.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Those carbs are awful, aren't they. The best thing you can do for yourself is to elminate all those procesed carbs, eat lots of veggies.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm an italian pasta and bread girl, so the carb thing only usually works for a week with me before I binge like crazy. I found that the metformin my dr prescribed really really really helped, and I don't have to watch my carbs as much.

wouldn't you rather fight the craving for the pasta ---it will subside in time and eventually you wont' grave it at all, than to be taking medicine every day?? I know I elminated all my meds with my diet.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    ejenn14 is right. My doctor also said the same thing. No white flour foods, whole grains are best because they don't have the blood sugar spiking effect like white flour foods do. I switched to gluten free brown rice pasta. It costs a little more but tastes the same. Not lower in carbs, but a slower digest which is ideal. I also found some pasta made from quinoa which is supposed to be really good. Try to incorporate for fibrous veggies. Leafy & dark green are the best. Mainly, with PCOS you have to remember that we are insulin resistant which makes it harder to lose weight. Once you get these sugary type foods out of your diet you will feel much better & the weight wont hang on as tightly. I also do a lot of cardio. My highest weight was 225. I've lost 70 pounds since then. But that has been over the course of 8 years. Within the last year I've lost 21 pounds simply by changing out bad food choices with better ones, carefully tracking my calories and regular exercise. Its not as scary as it sounds. Just start making 1 change a day with your food & before you know it you'll be eating a better balance :flowerforyou:
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What I learned from the books i read and low carbs, people don't know that how much fiber is in something takes away what carbs you are really getting. For example if 1 cup cereal is 20 carbs, but you are getting 6 in fiber really you are getting 14 carbs from the cereal. Some people who go on the low carb diets and only allow 40 carbs a day wonder why some get sick. because they are only counting the carbs and not figuring in the fiber factor. I have pcos and as long as I stay under 100 carbs a day I am doing great. I even feel better as well.

check out the PCOS diet book it is great, and the low carb bible I love the tow books, the low carb bible show al the low carb diets and what you benefit from them. ( like Atkins, south beach, and more) I got it on ebaty for like next to nothing.
  • adrienne4791
    Options

wouldn't you rather fight the craving for the pasta ---it will subside in time and eventually you wont' grave it at all, than to be taking medicine every day?? I know I elminated all my meds with my diet.

I agree with this because I am actually able to stop taking my meds! I am super excited by that! But I am a carb lovin gal but lately, I have replaced alot of carbs with high fiber and protein veggies and notice a huge difference. So metaforim is almost bye bye for me! Best thing that has happened since I was diagnosed 4 years ago :happy:
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just try to limit your breads and stuff, when you do eat stuff like that make sure it is high in fiber though so you get your fiber for the day. Also, step up the lean meat and fruits/veggies.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The Diet Solution is the best thing I've ever done since getting diagnosed with PCOS. Follow the protein plan. It is worth the money.

I have my concerns about this program.. I did some searching on the internet and it looked like it's been reviewed as a scam... and I have to say that when I looked at the website I wasn't satisfied that it was a genuine website or diet plan

I'd be interested to hear your feedback!