Starvation Mode

Options
2»

Replies

• AshleyyyB
    Options
    I have a question. If we are not supposed to fall below the calorie goal that MFP has calculated for us based upon our goals, why do they always say "so and so completed their food diary and fell below their calorie goal"? This makes no sense to me. Why would they celebrate falling below the net goal if it is better that we do NOT fall below the goal? Am I just interpretting this incorrectly? If it is better to MEET the daily calorie goal than it is to fall below, why wouldn't they celebrate meeting the goal instead of falling short? I'm totally confused now. Anybody?
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a question. If we are not supposed to fall below the calorie goal that MFP has calculated for us based upon our goals, why do they always say "so and so completed their food diary and fell below their calorie goal"? This makes no sense to me. Why would they celebrate falling below the net goal if it is better that we do NOT fall below the goal? Am I just interpretting this incorrectly? If it is better to MEET the daily calorie goal than it is to fall below, why wouldn't they celebrate meeting the goal instead of falling short? I'm totally confused now. Anybody?

Ideally, you want to get as close to your goal as possible without going over. I have my goal set at 1400, and I try to get within 50 calories of that (after exercise).
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    that was happening to me to...but one thing i started to do thats helping and it may not be for everyone. but i drink a cup of unsweet silk soy milk..with one spender packet in it right be for bed. i know everything says nothing before bed but i find it really helps me...

Personally I don't subscribe to the "nothing before bed theory". I always have a snack before bed - usually skim milk & fruit or a 100 calorie snack pack if I want something sweet or salty. Hasn't affected my weight loss. I still believe it comes down to calories in vs calories out.

As for what you are eating getting stored as fat - that's only going to happen if you over eat. As long as you eat your up to your calorie goal each day, you will lose weight. Make sure you eat your exercise calories too.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've seen so much conflicting advice about this by now...but I've just found an explanation - finally! - that makes sense to me:

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

In a nutshell: even if your metabolism slows down somewhat when your body thinks it's not getting enough food, this slowing down is nowhere near enough to offset the impact of reduced calories. So if you're eating 1,200kcal but still not losing weight, there must be some other explanation: either water retention due to too much sodium, time of the month, medication or muscles in repair mode after exercise, or increased average body density due to muscle building. The kind of reduction in your metabolic rate that can really interfere with weight loss only occurs once you have completely depleted your fat stores - the pictures of the subjects of the famed 'Minnessota study' really hammered it home for me!

Having said that, I wouldn't want to go below 1,200kcal in food per day, but from now on I won't feel compelled to eat my 'exercise calories' unless I specifically feel like it :smile:

That's a good article--one that everyone who uses the term "starvation mode" should be required to read. Here is another take on the subject that complicates things a little, but I think is still consistent.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when you wake up in the morning you are just really hungry because you haven't eaten for a few hours. I don't think that would qualify as being in starvation mode.

Yep. Hence, "break-the-fast" ===> "breakfast".
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    thanks for those links will have a look when I have more time.

Years ago when I ate well ie healthy and v little junk and was slim I would wake up hungry in the morning. So much so that I hated staying with friends who got up late cos I was despirate for breaky. I never felt deprived of food, OK , I was sometimes peckish but arnt we all.

I then started eating more and putting on weight and would rarely wake up hungry.

Now I am on this diet I am waking up hungry and loosing weight steadily.

I have set my net calories as 1100 per day but I do loads of exercise (run 60+ miles a week and gym) so end up eating just under 2000 and still having a deficit. I think that MFP overestimates the calories I use from exercise and I think I under estimate the calories I eat so really if I break even I have prob come in at 1400-1500 a day not 1100 which is what MFP thinks!
  • ajt1217
    ajt1217 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've seen so much conflicting advice about this by now...but I've just found an explanation - finally! - that makes sense to me:

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

In a nutshell: even if your metabolism slows down somewhat when your body thinks it's not getting enough food, this slowing down is nowhere near enough to offset the impact of reduced calories. So if you're eating 1,200kcal but still not losing weight, there must be some other explanation: either water retention due to too much sodium, time of the month, medication or muscles in repair mode after exercise, or increased average body density due to muscle building. The kind of reduction in your metabolic rate that can really interfere with weight loss only occurs once you have completely depleted your fat stores - the pictures of the subjects of the famed 'Minnessota study' really hammered it home for me!

Having said that, I wouldn't want to go below 1,200kcal in food per day, but from now on I won't feel compelled to eat my 'exercise calories' unless I specifically feel like it :smile:

THANK YOU so much for this post and the link. This makes sense more than anything else.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've read that an effective way to keep your body out of starvation mode is to cycle or zig-zag your calories. You eat a little over your limit on some days and a bit below your limit on others as long as in the end you still have an effective caloric deficit for the week. This sorta tricks your body so that you never enter the dreaded starvation mode. I am trying to do this to an extent. Some days I get right up to my calorie goal for the day, some days I dip below it, and some days (like days I don't work out) I go a bit above it....
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I find this article troubling. Besides the unprofessional quality of it (mis-spelling, bad grammar), which is fine if you're posting on a forum, but not if you're an expert writing an article. there's no citation for any of the facts listed in it. He goes half way into multiple topics and he's just feeding the fear IMHO. Granted he's feeding it from the other side of the coin, but still feeding it.

A lot of people like to be on one side or the other in this topic. I come at this from a different, and maybe more reasonable, slant.

So if you ask, "Is starvation mode real?" I'll answer yes, absolutely it is.

BUT

If you ask if 90 % of the people out there understand what starvation mode is (including many so-called experts), then I'll say absolutely not. It's a simple matter of science.

The body does not exist in an all or nothing state, I.E. starvation mode doesn't mean you stop losing weight. On the contrary, by it's definition, you'll still be losing weight. The simple, and proven facts are this:
    - In starvation mode, the body conserves it's energy stores by producing more of the hormones that store fat.
    - In starvation mode, the body suppresses the the hormones that grow muscle and alternatively use some of the protein it would use for muscle growth to replace the energy that has been shuttled away for fat storage.
    - In starvation mode, the body reduces the active metabolic rate by slowing down non-essential organ function and system.
    - Starvation mode does not mean you "stop losing weight".
    - In starvation mode the body actively looks for muscles that are not in use, and canabalizes that dormant lean tissue for energy production (to support the energy requirements lost).
    - Depending on the level of deficit, starvation mode can begin anywhere from about 48 hours (for severe starvation, or the total lack of incoming calories), to about 12 days in the case of moderate underfeeding. Along with this fact, comes the extent of the starvation mode that occurs, I.E. the body won't kick hormonal changes into high gear all the time, depending on the level of under feeding, there can be small changes that are hardly (if at all) noticeable to a person trying to lose weight.
    - Starvation mode is a function of available energy. In other words, the more extra energy you have, the harder it will be to reach a state where hormonal changes occur in earnest. That means that people with a lot of extra fat, can have far higher deficits without inducing systemic hormonal changes. I.E. larger deficits are more reasonable for someone with lots of fat, thus it's far harder for an obese person to reach true "starvation mode" than it is for someone looking to lose say... 20 lbs.

So I make a desperate plea. Can we PLEAAAAAASE stop saying that starvation mode is a myth? Pretty please? Can we rather say it's completely misunderstood by most people? And make our best attempt to educate instead of perpetuate the myth that starvation mode is some made up scary monster used to frighten people.

And for the love of all that is right and sane, can we please stop associating starvation mode with the number 1200, they have nothing to do with each other. 1200 calories is something completely different.

For all you guys that think it's a myth, show me 1, just 1 research project where controls are used (an actual experiment and not an observational study please), that doesn't show a drop in metabolic rate after prolonged underfeeding (to the time specifications for starvation mode I spoke on above), or a drop in the level of lipolysis in that same period. I see all kinds of articles, and blogs, and diatribes about it, but every study I've ever seen has these things in common. I.E. a drop in TDEE, a drop in lipolysis, and an increase in in vivo amino acid usage for energy (ketosis).
  • ajt1217
    ajt1217 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I find this article troubling. Besides the unprofessional quality of it (mis-spelling, bad grammar), which is fine if you're posting on a forum, but not if you're an expert writing an article. there's no citation for any of the facts listed in it. He goes half way into multiple topics and he's just feeding the fear IMHO. Granted he's feeding it from the other side of the coin, but still feeding it.

A lot of people like to be on one side or the other in this topic. I come at this from a different, and maybe more reasonable, slant.

So if you ask, "Is starvation mode real?" I'll answer yes, absolutely it is.

BUT

If you ask if 90 % of the people out there understand what starvation mode is (including many so-called experts), then I'll say absolutely not. It's a simple matter of science.

The body does not exist in an all or nothing state, I.E. starvation mode doesn't mean you stop losing weight. On the contrary, by it's definition, you'll still be losing weight. The simple, and proven facts are this:
    - In starvation mode, the body conserves it's energy stores by producing more of the hormones that store fat.
    - In starvation mode, the body suppresses the the hormones that grow muscle and alternatively use some of the protein it would use for muscle growth to replace the energy that has been shuttled away for fat storage.
    - In starvation mode, the body reduces the active metabolic rate by slowing down non-essential organ function and system.
    - Starvation mode does not mean you "stop losing weight".
    - In starvation mode the body actively looks for muscles that are not in use, and canabalizes that dormant lean tissue for energy production (to support the energy requirements lost).
    - Depending on the level of deficit, starvation mode can begin anywhere from about 48 hours (for severe starvation, or the total lack of incoming calories), to about 12 days in the case of moderate underfeeding. Along with this fact, comes the extent of the starvation mode that occurs, I.E. the body won't kick hormonal changes into high gear all the time, depending on the level of under feeding, there can be small changes that are hardly (if at all) noticeable to a person trying to lose weight.
    - Starvation mode is a function of available energy. In other words, the more extra energy you have, the harder it will be to reach a state where hormonal changes occur in earnest. That means that people with a lot of extra fat, can have far higher deficits without inducing systemic hormonal changes. I.E. larger deficits are more reasonable for someone with lots of fat, thus it's far harder for an obese person to reach true "starvation mode" than it is for someone looking to lose say... 20 lbs.

So I make a desperate plea. Can we PLEAAAAAASE stop saying that starvation mode is a myth? Pretty please? Can we rather say it's completely misunderstood by most people? And make our best attempt to educate instead of perpetuate the myth that starvation mode is some made up scary monster used to frighten people.

And for the love of all that is right and sane, can we please stop associating starvation mode with the number 1200, they have nothing to do with each other. 1200 calories is something completely different.

For all you guys that think it's a myth, show me 1, just 1 research project where controls are used (an actual experiment and not an observational study please), that doesn't show a drop in metabolic rate after prolonged underfeeding (to the time specifications for starvation mode I spoke on above), or a drop in the level of lipolysis in that same period. I see all kinds of articles, and blogs, and diatribes about it, but every study I've ever seen has these things in common. I.E. a drop in TDEE, a drop in lipolysis, and an increase in in vivo amino acid usage for energy (ketosis).

So why does MFP itself tell you exactly the opposite if you log under your calorie goal? Lowers metabolism, makes weight loss difficult, you must have at least 1200 calories minimum, yada yada yada...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

So why does MFP itself tell you exactly the opposite if you log under your calorie goal? Lowers metabolism, makes weight loss difficult, you must have at least 1200 calories minimum, yada yada yada...

I think you know the answer to that already.
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Sorry but that's a bit of a cop-out reply - if we knew the answer already, we wouldn't be asking :smile:

Whilst I love MFP and feel confident that it's going to be a major help for me to achieve my goals, I do think it can be a bit inconsistent with regards to advice. Yesterday I was 400 kcal under my target because I did a load of exercise. When I completed the day's entry, MFP told me "If every day was like this, you'd be XX kg in 5 weeks" - I can't remember the exact figure, but it was definitely more than 5 pounds weight loss. Now surely that sounds like an encouragement - "keep this up and you'll meet your goals early!" So why insist that going below 1200 kcal is bad for you and will put you into starvation mode? I'm not saying that starvation mode is a myth, but I think it would be a bit rich for me to blame changes in my weight loss patterns on it, when I know I am sitting on a generous store of fat :smile:

I'm no natural scientist, but whilst I accept that dieting has all sorts of effect on your body and metabolism, it still doesn't make sense to me why my body would go into starvation mode just because I eat 1500 kcal and exercise 4-500 kcal per day. If it's true that at the first sign of (mild) food deprivation, our bodies start breaking down muscle (a precious and important resource that is energy-intensive to cultivate), then why did we evolve to store energy in the form of fat in the first place? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe if you ate very little and didn't do any exercise, I can kind of see the logic behind the body breaking down unused muscle, but surely you'd also be losing fat, and probably faster than you'd be losing muscle. And if the reason that my net calories are 'too low' by MFP standards is that I am exercising, surely my body must be trying to build muscle to cope with the demand, not break it down before it remembers to turn to its trusty fat stores?

I know that our metabolisms are complicated, but I believe there are some basic underlying principles that govern the general direction of changes in fat and muscle, which must make sense or they wouldn't have evolved. At the same time, each of us has different genes, different weights, ages, diets, lifestyles etc., so of course no two persons will lose weight exactly the same way on a day-to-day basis.

Which is why the blanket approach of "eat your exercise calories/don't ever go below 1200 kcal or you'll stop losing weight" just doesn't sit with me...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Sorry but that's a bit of a cop-out reply - if we knew the answer already, we wouldn't be asking :smile:

Whilst I love MFP and feel confident that it's going to be a major help for me to achieve my goals, I do think it can be a bit inconsistent with regards to advice. Yesterday I was 400 kcal under my target because I did a load of exercise. When I completed the day's entry, MFP told me "If every day was like this, you'd be XX kg in 5 weeks" - I can't remember the exact figure, but it was definitely more than 5 pounds weight loss. Now surely that sounds like an encouragement - "keep this up and you'll meet your goals early!" So why insist that going below 1200 kcal is bad for you and will put you into starvation mode? I'm not saying that starvation mode is a myth, but I think it would be a bit rich for me to blame changes in my weight loss patterns on it, when I know I am sitting on a generous store of fat :smile:

I'm no natural scientist, but whilst I accept that dieting has all sorts of effect on your body and metabolism, it still doesn't make sense to me why my body would go into starvation mode just because I eat 1500 kcal and exercise 4-500 kcal per day. If it's true that at the first sign of (mild) food deprivation, our bodies start breaking down muscle (a precious and important resource that is energy-intensive to cultivate), then why did we evolve to store energy in the form of fat in the first place? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe if you ate very little and didn't do any exercise, I can kind of see the logic behind the body breaking down unused muscle, but surely you'd also be losing fat, and probably faster than you'd be losing muscle. And if the reason that my net calories are 'too low' by MFP standards is that I am exercising, surely my body must be trying to build muscle to cope with the demand, not break it down before it remembers to turn to its trusty fat stores?

I know that our metabolisms are complicated, but I believe there are some basic underlying principles that govern the general direction of changes in fat and muscle, which must make sense or they wouldn't have evolved. At the same time, each of us has different genes, different weights, ages, diets, lifestyles etc., so of course no two persons will lose weight exactly the same way on a day-to-day basis.

Which is why the blanket approach of "eat your exercise calories/don't ever go below 1200 kcal or you'll stop losing weight" just doesn't sit with me...

so, I agree with much of what you've said. And my previous post essentially says the same thing in different words. Which is why I said " I think you already know the answer". Which is also why it isn't a cop out.

Why does Mike put 1200 calories as a floor? I don't know, you'll probably need to ask him on that one. Maybe for legal reasons, maybe because he's human and suffers from the same flaws as the rest of us. You have to remember, Mike (the site creator), isn't any more of a nutrition expert than the rest of us. He's a person who had success with this method, and saw a need to create the site and did so. You can easily email him In MFP by just sending an email to "Mike". Incidentally, if you get an answer from him, please share it (if he's ok with that) as I'd like to know also. I've had emails with Mike before, he's a reasonable and genuine guy, if you present him with something solid and present facts, then I'm sure he'll listen and take it under consideration.

I will say that the research proves what I've stated in my previous post, I can post some of this research by request if you like, but I've already done so in numerous other posts so I feel reposting citation every time I post, in a forum is a little redundant. Feel free to pm me if you want to read the research though, it's black and white what happens to the body in both a reduced calorie diet and the total absence of calories as well.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    that was happening to me to...but one thing i started to do thats helping and it may not be for everyone. but i drink a cup of unsweet silk soy milk..with one spender packet in it right be for bed. i know everything says nothing before bed but i find it really helps me...

Personally I don't subscribe to the "nothing before bed theory". I always have a snack before bed - usually skim milk & fruit or a 100 calorie snack pack if I want something sweet or salty. Hasn't affected my weight loss. I still believe it comes down to calories in vs calories out.

As for what you are eating getting stored as fat - that's only going to happen if you over eat. As long as you eat your up to your calorie goal each day, you will lose weight. Make sure you eat your exercise calories too.

I agree. I doubt that eating before bed has any significant impact on weight loss/gain. I avoid it simply because I will have indigestion really bad if I eat within 30 minutes of laying down to sleep.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thats your body becoming a monster. Thats good. Its asking you to feed it because its burning the cals you take in.
    Start looking to eat a slow burning carb later at night. some mihgt not agree but if you had otameal as your complex carb before bed you might not wake up in "starvation mode". I hate feeling like that mentally it makes me feel unstable and bingy for food
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I stay under 1200 calories every day for the past 15 weeks and have consistently lost weight.

NOT advisable in the long term!

hard to says , not sure you are eating enough, maybe this will help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

"Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode) "

Good luck on your journey!
  • shanamalena
    Options
    You know my Ob told me I needed to get down to 135 pounds.... She said do whatever you gotta do to lose the weight. She said eat 500 calories a day and on the weekends eat 800 calories. She said eat mainly fruits, vegetables, and protein.

And that is all she said about it........lol Well first of all I was shocked when she said I needed to get down to 135 pounds. I was thinking 145 pounds. I was also surprised when she told me to eat 500 calories a day. She didnt say anything at all about exercise. lol But anyways.........

C/S

But I believe in the starvation mode, but I just think that everybodies body is different on how it handles different situations. And I think it depends on what type of foods you eat, but then it still goes back to your body. I think it is good to take a multi-vitamin on any diet. Really it may good to take a multivitamin period. I also heard of ways to trick your brain to think it is getting food, so it does not go into the starvation mode.

But I always have wondered about the gastric bypass and lipo-band how you can only eat so much. And all these other diets where you consume 500 calories a day. And I have never read anything about people dieing....

Oh you know one thing I definetly wondered about is FASTING......It suppose to be good for you to fast once a month......??? Okay, whats up with that??

And also I had met this woman long time ago from Moracco. And once a year they would go like one month not eating or drinking anything during certain times a day. Like they wouldnt eat or drink anything until like 8 at night.........??

IDK......But I know one thing I seen on tv where alot of asian people are soo skinny because they eat alot of fish. Something about the amino acids are good for you. Plus everyone knows that fish, turkey and chicken are some of the best meat to eat. But anyways when I go grocery shopping tomorrow I am stocking up on some fish!! Im going to start eating a fish, rice, and vegetable for dinner everyday. And eat some type of chicken or turkey for lunch. I do not care to much for beef anyways. I know I have been feeling so much better since I have been watching what I eat. No more junk food!!

But to all the critics.....!! I know my statements may not make any sense nor use correct grammar...Or whatever!! IDK..... Ya'll need to read the book "The Shack"!!! LMAO........xoxoxoxoxoxoxo