Sugar...oh Sugar

Options
Anyone else having issues with going over on the sugar intake recommended on this site? I am trying to cut out all sweets (I can't do it cold turkey, but im almost there...) but I keep going over my limit because of the fruit intake I have. I am told to eat fruit through out the day but I don't want to over do it on sugar...any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Answer in a nutshell: fruit is healthy; don't worry about it.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    look for the fruit that has less sugar....sugar is sugar....this is my #1 concern and I always check for sugar. try to eat vegetables through out the day also......the body can only handle up to 5gr of sugar at a sitting
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You should limit your fruit intake to when you wake up, before working out and after working out.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I agree! I don't add sugar to anything. I am usually under on my carbs but over on my sugar. I eat fruit and light and fit yogurt. I think as long as you are not drinking sugary soft drinks and watching sweets, you should be ok.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    that dar sugar is what makes our blood sugars spike and then bottom out and we are hungry again and crave anything and everything. I maintain 25-30 grams a day, About 5 grams 6 times a day! Keeps me nice and balanced.
  • shreddingit
    Options
    Im sorry you do need to worry about it...its healthy compared to junk, but the body sees sugar another way...
  • saidsaid
    saidsaid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, and I love it,,,,but I have been cutting my sugar intake gradually, it works.....and now my body is starting to reject sugar by itself...I think is a proccess.......
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Im sorry you do need to worry about it...its healthy compared to junk, but the body sees sugar another way...

No need to apologize, but I will never agree with this. Fruit is a whole, natural, traditional food. As long as you are enjoying a balanced diet (don't eat a pound of grapes every day) and you are within your calorie limits, you *don't* need to worry about it.
  • natsplat_20
    natsplat_20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I dont have anything on mine which says about sugar...just calories, carbs, fat and protein.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Not to go off track, but did anyone else mentally add, "Oh, honey... you are my candy girl, and you got me wanting you?" to the thread title?

Unless you experience fatigue from a sugar drop after eating fruit, I wouldn't worry about it. Sugar alone won't make you gain weight. Lots of sugar, especially processed, isn't good for you, but remember that professor who lost weight eating only Twinkies?
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I dont have anything on mine which says about sugar...just calories, carbs, fat and protein.

You can add in sodium and sugar under your settings to watch those intakes too.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options

The body "sees sugar another way".....???? I'm vastly confused by that statement and where you mean to go with it.

Sugar aside (the sugar in fruits is fructose which is a monosaccharide...the basic foundation of important carbohydrates), fruits offer an abundance of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants! They are considered a "nutrient dense" food and they SHOULD be a part of your daily diet! They are not even CLOSE to junk food.

The best advice I can give regarding fruits is be mindful of portion sizes and to keep them to 2 - 3 servings per day. They DO have more calories than vegetables, so keep that in mind. A few basic thoughts regarding portion sizes are that apples and oranges should be about the size of a tennis ball (stay away from the super sized fruits....they are much more than a portion size), a serving of strawberries or grapes should be about the size of your fist, a banana should be approximately 5 inches or less, pears about the size of a light bulb (this is a good rule of thumb for sweet potatoes and potatoes as well). Enjoy! :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    And if you love berries, they are tiny little powerhouses of nutrition! A serving size is a CUP! And berries are among the lowest in fructose when compared to other fruits. They make a great topping for oatmeal and greek yogurt. YUM!
  • shreddingit
    Options
    Anyone else having issues with going over on the sugar intake recommended on this site? I am trying to cut out all sweets (I can't do it cold turkey, but im almost there...) but I keep going over my limit because of the fruit intake I have. I am told to eat fruit through out the day but I don't want to over do it on sugar...any ideas? Thanks!
    as your striving for your first weight goal you may want to stay away from fruit as it contains natural simple sugar and may affect the stability of your blood sugar and trigger hunger pangs, Choose strawberrys, blueberrys and apples.