Negative responses from Family and Friends

Options
I am learning to ignore!!! That's all we can do. I am proving to the world that I can do this!!!!! We all can. What bothers you more, some changing the subject when weight loss is discussed or your efforts being ignored and joked about? I am learning to away. Like the song says, "I'm walking away a winner and walking back into my life".

Replies

• strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Good for you..don't let them bring you down. You've come too far!
  • Chuldemort
    Options
    It's the emotionally healthy thing to do.

It may be painful if the people who's supposed to support you don't, but, guess what? More reason to *****-slap them in the end!

In the end, we're all on our own in this.

:)
  • boxerbby
    Options
    good job! dont let anyone bring you down , we're in this together!:)
  • gingermim
    gingermim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Don't let them bring you down....you have come along way. btw I like your little saying at the bottom about ability.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Dont let them get to you, its is hard when people are like that
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    Good for you!! Don't let them bring you down. They are probably just mad they can't stick with it like you can and you're showing them up! I have some people in my life who have a lot more weight to lose than I feel I do.. and snide remarks are common to my ears. "Oh she's trying to be 'healthy'" or "ugh.. she doesn't need to lose weight" and while I am in my range... I would like to be my personal best - and that does not include flab and flub!

One thing to remember is that you are doing what you know is best for your life. They are miserable b/c they can't or wont choose to do it. Aim for YOUR personal best - whatever that is and they will remain miserable and unhappy. People's ugly looks and attitudes only spur me on to keep doing it. EVERYONE should be working out... not just as a weight loss tool but for health.... Just smile and keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:
  • MugetsuNoYoru
    Options
    It's terrible that the people who are supposed to support you are scoffing at you! But I just love you're attitude. Continue like this and when you reach your goals you can rub it all over their smug faces! :tongue:
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am with you on that saying! Love that song. It is actually a song that I play quite regularly when I need an extra emotional boost. I thought I had wonderful support, but I told my husband recently that I signed up for a 5K. He out right laughed at me. Thought I had gone off my rocker. It was just a bigger push to do it and get it done. I can not wait to prove to them that I started it, and finished it.
    You continue to take care of yourself, do what you know is right for you. They may never come around, but at least you know in your heart and mind that you did what you wanted/needed to do.
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ignore them there just jelous

you show them
  • DeanaMarshall
    DeanaMarshall Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If I lost 59 lbs, that would be all I'd want to talk about too. You go girl- at the end of the day you are the only one who has to live in that body. Make it a healthy and one you want to be in FOR YOU. Keep up the exciting work!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's funny, when I first starting showing a noticable weight loss my parents were both concerned about me. My mom kept trying to make me eat things that weren't healthy or fitting into my day, calorie-wise, and always with the excuses that "just this one time won't matter" or "it's a family event, it doesn't count". Of course, if I'd listened to that logic every time, it definitely would have matter and it most certainly would have counted. But she and my dad used to grill me about what I was eating, how much I was eating, making sure I was getting enough of the important vitamins and minerals, etc.

Eventually they both came to realize that I was going about this in a healthy way and that it was truly a lifestyle change, not just some fad diet or unhealthy calorie chopping kind of thing and they joined in as some of my biggest supporters. And my mom even asks me about recipes I've come up with, places she can find healthier meal ideas for her and my dad and has even talked about joining MFP.

But, my aunt, over Thanksgiving, became 100% convinced that I'm anorexic and/or bulimic. Not only did she make snotty remarks to me all night (but not about an illness) but she also announced to my entire family and family friends that I was clearly sick and that everyonewas ignoring it. (my hubby and I and my sister and BIL were at the "kids table" [by choice], so we weren't at the tablewhen that happened.) And when people didn't listen to her, she then called my mom a week later to talk to my mom about how serious my condition was and how blind my mother was being and that they really needed to get me to a doctor for some help. My mom spent an hour and a half on the phone trying to explain to my aunt everything I'd been doing and how I was doing it the healthy way, etc. etc. but my aunt just wasn't hearing it.

Sadly, it's actually caused a rift in my family with that aunt and uncle. We're still good with my cousins (their kids) but the aunt and uncle are even trying to cut them off from us. My other aunt and uncle/cousins are all much more sane and just super proud of me and everything I've done.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    everybody, thank you so much. so glad i have started with this site again!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    wonder if you're aunt is overweight. sometimes they see fit only as anorexic because you aren't fat.
    this is for wolfchild59