Looking for a SOY-free Protein shake mix

Options
I love making smoothies, but I am very sensitive to soy products...(actually got hives from eating a fresh soybean 2 years ago) so I am looking for a shake mix that is not made with soy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can make your own? Use Almond milk, almonds, some frozen and fresh berries, banana and a tbsp (or 2) of peanut butter.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of options for healthy, soy free smoothies! :) I start with a base of greek yogurt, then add whatever fruits I'm in the mood for. For the protein, I buy whey protein powder at our bulk food store (mine is 17 grams of protein per 2 tbsp). I also usually add ground flaxseed for more fiber. So yummy and so healthy!

**Edited to add: I just realized that you were asking specifically for mixes....I don't have any suggestions for that, but without trying to be pushy I would say that it is cheaper and healthier to make smoothies from scratch. That way you know exactly what you are putting into your body. :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I can't do soy either, and have a less than pleasant reaction to whey, so when I make smoothies I add some powdered egg white. You can find it with the baking products in the grocery store if you want to try it. If you like it you can buy it online as a protein suppliment, just google it. It does come in different flavors and such online, I just prefer the plain no flavor stuff.
  • lisa4kids
    lisa4kids Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I can't eat almonds OR peanut butter! :(

I will see about the whey powder. I don't mind doing fruit smoothies with the whey/flaxseed, but I'd also like a premixed thing that is chocolate flavored...unless someone has a good recipe to make a chocolate smoothie from scratch.
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There are also rice protein shake mixes, pea protein, and hemp that my local organic market sells. Those might be worth a try. Good luck!
  • lisa4kids
    lisa4kids Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did find a couple of options...one was the hemp protein powder, so I am going to order both and give them a try. My hubby can use them if I don't do well on them. It was so hard, because I also didn't want any artificial sweeteners!!! Thanks for your help everyone.