how much sugar...?

Options
So even when I try to avoid high sugar and high carb foods I always go over my recommended limit. I don't eat bananas anymore, for example, because they contain as much sugar as I am allowed in a day. I also read somewhere that fructose is very readily stored as fat and encourages storage of foods eaten subsequently as fat. I really have a hard time losing weight, it just doesn't come off easily for me. I would be willing to REALLY cut sugar if necessary. But I would really prefer not to because I am vegan and so I generally eat a lot of fruits and legumes which have sugar. So, in your experience, does sugar inhibit weight loss?

Please don't explain to me that weight gain occurs when you eat more calories than you burn or what the macromolecules are. I am not stupid. I took high school bio. I know the basics.

Replies

• mitziehtrd
    Options
    It's the type of sugars that we eat that depends on weight loss. I'm diabetic so I try to stay away from simple sugars, like white sugar, white potatoes, white rice, basically if its white it has simple sugars in it. I eat ALOT of fresh fruit and veggies. Look for things that are high in fiber and protein. Like lagumes. When I feel hungry and I know that I shouldn't I'll have a handful of peanuts or almonds, then wait for about 30 minutes. And try not to eat anything 2 hours before you go to bed, that'll help in losing to. Good luck let me know how you do.
  • jensadzewicz
    jensadzewicz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and sugar has always been a problem for me but in all the research I have done I have discovered that naturally occuring sugars are good for you. Stay away from processed sugars. That's about all I can say. Hope it helped.
    Jen
  • keybelle
    Options
    Complex carbohydrates (whole grain, oats, etc.) are supposed to be the best kind. Artificial sweeteners are supposed to be a problem for some reason because they "trick" your system into something, so I have given them up except maybe a diet coke or two a week. Fructose, or fruit sugar, is pretty much processed like sucrose, so it seems that all of the information is conflicting. I just try to stick to whole grain toast or steel cut oatmeal. I think it was Dr. Gott that said no white flour, no sugar. I wonder if you get enough protein. Getting enough protein seems to be really important to feeling satisfied and full for awhile.

What I have done is substitute those Fiber One Oats and Chocolate Bars for when I really have a sweets craving, and they have quite a bit of carbs, but then I don't binge on chocolate. I've recently started eating one of those Pure Protein Bars once a day or every other day. They are low sugar, 20 g of protein, but they still have some carbs in them. They stay with you without adding a bunch of carbs.

Good luck!
  • reasonablyvain
    Options
    Complex carbohydrates (whole grain, oats, etc.) are supposed to be the best kind. Artificial sweeteners are supposed to be a problem for some reason because they "trick" your system into something, so I have given them up except maybe a diet coke or two a week. Fructose, or fruit sugar, is pretty much processed like sucrose, so it seems that all of the information is conflicting. I just try to stick to whole grain toast or steel cut oatmeal. I think it was Dr. Gott that said no white flour, no sugar. I wonder if you get enough protein. Getting enough protein seems to be really important to feeling satisfied and full for awhile.

What I have done is substitute those Fiber One Oats and Chocolate Bars for when I really have a sweets craving, and they have quite a bit of carbs, but then I don't binge on chocolate. I've recently started eating one of those Pure Protein Bars once a day or every other day. They are low sugar, 20 g of protein, but they still have some carbs in them. They stay with you without adding a bunch of carbs.

Good luck!

I have noticed there is a lot of conflicting information! Bread is not really a problem for me. I have never much liked it and as long as there is no earth balance (vegan margarine, which they clearly tried to make sound far healthier than it is lol) I don't eat much of it.
    I have definitely heard about complex carbs verus simple carbs and also that the fibre in fruit slows it's digestion. I really just want the botttom line on sugar. I'm not knocking back lattes or cokes yet...my sugar shows as high.

Oh yes, and I do get plenty of protein. usually with the help of some fortified soy products in BUT at least I'm getting enough.