Meds & Health

Options
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with meds causing health issues with weight and other problems.

I recently had a kidney stone due to a pain med. I still have a stent inside and I am feeling yukky and sore.

I tried exercising on Friday. Well, it was actually more of a walk to the medical clinic for X rays. I was unable to continue and called a cab to rescue me. I am feeling frustrated with my pain and my weight.
Will the pain always stop me from losing more weight?

Josie

Replies

• JosieCan
    Options
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone has had experience with meds causing health issues with weight and other problems.

I recently had a kidney stone due to a pain med. I still have a stent inside and I am feeling yukky and sore.

I tried exercising on Friday. Well, it was actually more of a walk to the medical clinic for X rays. I was unable to continue and called a cab to rescue me. I am feeling frustrated with my pain and my weight.
    Will the pain always stop me from losing more weight?

Josie
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    A big factor in my weight gain (along with stress and just plain overeating) was the "cocktail" of meds I was on for my health conditions. You may want to investigate the side-effects that your meds commonly cause. I had a physician (note I said "had") who was essentially berating me for gaining weight, and when I researched my medicines, I discovered that all of them listed weight gain and increased appetite as possible side effects.

I found a new doctor, I no longer take any of those medications, and my pain has declined to almost non-existent.

Everybody's story and condition is different, so it does change regarding what your medications are and what your medications are for. My experience may not be yours, but you owe it to yourself to be a knowledgeable patient.

But, I believe with all my heart that weight loss, coupled with good eating and healthy lifestyle are the best medicine there is.:flowerforyou:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I was on lexapro for a couple of months and it definitely made me gain some weight, probably around 10lbs +

Everybody reacts differently to meds. tho

:flowerforyou:
  • jg55
    jg55 Posts: 4
    Options
    try drugdigest.org for interactions
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh geez ~ I can think of a whole list of medications, ranging from over-the-counter stuff like antihistimines to heavy-duty stuff like anti-psychotic medications, steroids and opiate-based pain medications that can cause weight gain, usually from causing constipation and/or fluid retention. Of course, this isn't usually something the conventional medicos will discuss with you, except maybe a word or two in passing .......they don't want to admit that more than once, the cure is worse than the disease! Have the name of your new doctor handy, Viviakay? My doctor didn't even mention the 12 point decrease in my blood sugar from the last test (12 points was enough to take me down past the cut off for diabetes) and the 48 lbs. I've lost in the past year. Instead, she wigged out on me for not having lost more and about my cholesterol that was still in the very high range, despite a 10 point drop. She ordered me to be more compliant with my diet, exercise more (1 hour a day 6 days a week isn't enough??) and put me on Lipitor. After a week of side effects so severe that I was barely functioning, I flushed that stuff, called her and basically said "OK, let's try something else". Her answer amounted to "take what I give you or find another doctor". I chose the "or" option and have an appointment with another doctor!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm on a couple of beta blockers for hypertension, and they definetly helped me pack on the pounds. AS I have been getting the hypertension under control, and getting my weight to go back in the correct direction, my doc reduced the amount of those drugs.
    And yeah, like my Celtic friend frithir said, if you don't like what the doc is telling you, (in terms of how to approach any issue by being proactive with your health) then get another doc!