im sick, do i eat less, same, or more?

Options
Okay so i am sick with sinus stuff and have an infection. My throat is super soar and i am going to the doctor tomorrow (i have a doctor weigh in. Yay!) but i was wondering if i should eat more calories, less, or the same since i am sick and my body is functioning differently.

Replies

• scotty38886
    scotty38886 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would reccomend just to eat foods that wont irritate your throat eg: soups or smoothies etc . Maybe take some vitamins just to help you through your bug, also drink lots of fluids as your body will need them to fight the infection, I doubt you will be excersising much so I would relax for a couple of days instead of prolonging the bug by draining yourself. Im sure a couple of days without a consistent calorie intake wont matter, the main thing is to get well and drink fluids :)
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    see above ... that's the best advice!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Yup, don't worry about calories. Drink, rest, and listen to what your body needs. Get well.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a serious infection that requires medical intervention, normally being sick (like a cold) doesn't have a drastic effect on your body's metabolism, so eating the same amount of calories won't hurt. The only thing that it does affect are the kinds of food your body can handle, so if you have a sore throat, drinking plenty of broth and soup is fine. You can even exercise if you're up to it. Just make sure your fluid intake is keeping you well hydrated, and take into account if you're breathing is labored, you do what you can tolerate enough to get a sweat going. Rise in body temperature can help fight off infection, which is why we develop fevers in the first place.