any seniors on here?

Options
I just wondered if there were any senior citizens on the board. I think dieting is probably different for us than for the younger folks. I would love to hear from you . We might could be some encouragement to each other....

Replies

• IndyRick
    IndyRick Posts: 172
    Options
    Well, I'm close, as much as I hate to admit it...I'm just a few years behind you! At any age, we can do this! :)
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That's what I think too!! But it's nice to know there are some more of us "older" folks on here.
  • elizabethlent
    Options
    Does 54 count as "senior"? I am a 54 year old female, and I have been using myfitnesspal since mid-June. Now at the end of January I just reached a 57 lb weight loss. I still need to lose about 40 more, but this whole thing is really working! Apparently, what they told us is still true: eating right plus a bit of exercise equals weight loss regardless of our age. As you're already finding out, using the website can sometimes be challenging as we sift through looking for just the right items and just the right servings, but it is absolutely worth it. This is the most successful I have been in years!
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    Well at 54, I qualify as a "senior citizen" by AARP standards! I've been on my weight loss journey since 3/29/10 but only found MFP in Oct. 2010. I've lost 92 pounds (18 since joining MFP) and have 17 more to go. I know everyone always says it's harder to loose weight as you get older but for me it has actually been easier this time. I think that's because for the first time, my focus has been on a healthy lifestyle rather than a "diet".
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Yipes! Count me in...58. I just began (again) and am doing really well on carb counting. It just seems so much easier and effective than low cal...for me anyway. I have lost almost 10lbs this month. Just hitting the gym for an hour or so a day....
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Well, it looks like I'm the oldest so far but that's ok. Just thankful to be here. I have just started on this program. A lady told me at church the other night about this. She said her mom's Dr. told her about it. I just joined wed. night so I haven't weighed because it hasn't been long enough. I'm just hoping to lose a lb or 2 a wk. My heart Dr. says that my heart is really good, but my blood #'s were terrible soooooo, I've got to eat healthy and exercise at least 30 min. a day. Until I started using the database to figure all the different #'s I didn't realize how much I was putting in my body. It's really an eye opener. By the way I am 63 soon to be 64 and thankful to God for every yr. he's blessed me with.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Define 'senior'. I'm 57 but I run half marathons and have friends who are over 70 running marathons. Retired 6 months ago so more time to exercise! At least for women it certainly is harder to lose weight after menopause but the same principles for weight loss and exercise apply. Weight training may be even more important to decrease risk of osteoporosis and falling as one ages. I remember thinking my mother and grandmother were ancient when they were in their 40's. Its just a number after all. Physiologically I think I'm about in my 40s and I know people in their 30s who are in way worse shape than I am. So things sag a bit more but keep fighting father time!! Jack LaLane just died at 96............he was a real inspiration!
  • kjpalmer57
    Options
    I just now joined and I am 53. I am trying to stay motivated. I am one of those yo-yo dieters. I now have 60 lbs back of what I lost in 2002. I just joined a gym and so far, I am averaging 3 days a week. How are you doing?
  • hilaryfagan
    hilaryfagan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, im a 58, soon to be 59 year old starting out again to lose 1.5-2stone in total. I have always been interested in health and fitness but not always practised it. I feel that having the right frame of mind goes a long way and it is going well at the moment. I was encouraged also by my 2 daughters who have been on this site and both lost weight. So, good luck to all you seniors out there,never let age be a barrier to what we can achieve.
  • IndyRick
    Options
    We seniors rock! :)
  • IndyRick
    Options
    I absolutely agree with that. And, I think we have better attention spans than some of the younger folks, which helps!
  • cassieinor
    Options
    As much as I don't like to admit it......my age number says senior......but my brain says otherwise....LOL.
  • bevee98
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new on MFP. I just found the site today and I am so excited to get started. I will be 64 years old on Valentines Day and I have at least 150 pounds to loose. To see that in writing, it seems like a task that will never be achieved. I look forward to communicating with all of you.
  • leanandmeanmachine
    Options
    Hey, I'm considered a senior also, I'm turning 51 in about 2 weeks. I've lost 13 lbs thus far, and I have an additional 90lbs to loose. I'm gonna do it too. Lets continue to motivate each other!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 58 and just starting out on a 140lb journey. Look forward to finding people in my age bracket to keep me motivated...
  • Lutiebelle
    Lutiebelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yep, we're here! I'm 70 years old and also looking for seniors who can relate to senior issues. Friend me so we can talk!