"you will weigh xIBs in 5 weeks" are these accurate?

Options
When it says at the bottom of your food journal, how much you'd weigh in 5 weeks, is it accurate? Like has anyone done this, and it said you'd weigh a certain amount & then at the end of 5 weeks you weighed that?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I lost even more than had been predicted! Stick to it, it works!!! Welcome!
  • papcap
    papcap Posts: 2
    Options
    Great Question. I haven't been on this site for five weeks yet, but I sure do hope it's the truth.:smile:
  • tina722
    Options
    Thank you very much! & Great job!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I once got a fortune cookie that said I'd be married by 21. Well...Don't put stock in projections, just yourself.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure it's close to be accurate. I wish there was a way in pick a date, and then it would tell you if your on track to meet your goal by then.
  • aeevr
    aeevr Posts: 34
    Options
    It's absolutely not accurate.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    It's absolutely not accurate.

if you joined in January 2011, how can you report on what will happen in 5 weeks? You haven't been here 5 weeks!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I WISH I would weigh that in five weeks. Sorry....but not so much.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    ditto question to you redcat...how do you know if you just started this?
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Just remember its what you eat from day to day, mind has changed a few different times in the week I have been on here. If you eat bad they yeah it prob wont be accurate. Its just guess by what your eating for that day, but Im sure its close to accurate. Well I guess at least lets hope so! :) Why dont we all look at it says we will weight in 5 weeks and post back here and see if it was accurate for each of us
  • BlkOnyx488
    Options
    It says if you ate like you are today... it doesn't take into account for women at least the wonkiness our bodies go through During out T.O.M I know my body will not lose anything for at least 5 days. it doesn't matter how good i eat.

But someone said it worked for them. I think it's a good motivator for those of us ME who get discouraged easily
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Every person is different. It just takes your statistics and your calories and gives you a number based on it. It doesn't account for poor metabolism, inaccurate calorie burn/intake numbers, or a million other factors. Just work hard and see if you can obtain that goal.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    it has not been accurate for me at all
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure it's close to be accurate. I wish there was a way in pick a date, and then it would tell you if your on track to meet your goal by then.

I agree I rather pick a date and it tell me if Im on track, ahead of schedule or falling behind .... As far as the current predictions I could see it being true if I keep losing weight at the rate I am losing it
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just remember its what you eat from day to day, mind has changed a few different times in the week I have been on here. If you eat bad they yeah it prob wont be accurate. Its just guess by what your eating for that day, but Im sure its close to accurate. Well I guess at least lets hope so! :) Why dont we all look at it says we will weight in 5 weeks and post back here and see if it was accurate for each of us

Well when I first started about 2 weeks ago I was around 280lbs. Mine said I'd be about 255 in 5 weeks. I am down to 266 or so now. So it might be a little off. But I'd say it's damn close.
  • bromk
    bromk Posts: 34
    Options
    If you do the math, that statement is simply based on your original weight loss goal per week. So, if your goal is to lose 2 lbs. per week, in 5 weeks you will lose 10 lbs. (if you stay within your calorie goals). If you subtract that 10 from your current weight, you get your projected 5 week weight loss. It's important to remember, though, that we are not always going to meet those goals or may go over them (for a variety of reasons). It's simply a guide...nothing more, nothing less.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,178 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how accurate it is. As mentioned it is based on every day being exactly the same as the one you just logged. That is rather unlikely if your life is like most peoples. Add to that the fact that simply figuring calories in - calories out and adding up the deficits does not take into account things like you losing water weight (something you will do if you change your eating habits and start losing weight) or various other things. When I started losing weight, it when very quickly, and I am pretty sure I would have been well ahead of the predictions. Now, I might be closer, but I have already taken off more than 65 pounds and based on my experience I lose closer to the 2 pounds a week I am shooting for. At times though, I will still lose more or less due to other factor as well like how well I sleep, stress, and all the rest. It might be close as you progress, or it might not. Since I just started I can't say. Shoot for it and see what happens.
  • aalexander0607
    aalexander0607 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This feature is based on the fact that 3,500 calories is equal to 1 lb of fat. So in theory, not counting exercise or metabolism, if you are under your calorie limit, then the program will calculate 3500 divided by the number of calories remaining for that specific day and the answer will give you the number of days...which is what it is telling you. So in theory yes it is exactly true IF you eat the same amount of calories every single day and burn the same number of calories. So it is just a rough estimate.

Don't pay too much into it. Just keep doing what you're doing! It is only trying to motivate you. And it will happen if you keep it up and stick to it!

GOOD LUCK :)
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I keep track of my 5 week projected #'s. Every couple weeks I take note of the number thats projected on my iPhone.

Surprisingly I have met almost all of them!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    lets not forget it says "if everyday were like today.." so you might have a really low number one day and a higher number the next..so it depends..but if you consistently keep getting the same number then absolutely i think you will get there in 5 weeks! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!