Sugar

Options
I don't understand. I get 28 g of sugar a day.
I had some 2% milk- that's 12 g of sugar.
A cup of apple juice has 31 g.
An apple I believe has 13 g.

I understand that this would mean I can't have any junk food (like cookies or soda).
But I can't even have two glasses of milk and an apple?
Is there anything sweet I can have?

I only had brunch today. I had 3 scrambled eggs, a quarter cup of cheese, a glass of milk, and one piece of toast. Half a tbsp of butter about.
And I'm already over my daily sugar.
I feel okay , because vitamin wise I'm doing great, but I haven't eaten my afternoon snack (thinking peaches in a fruit cup) or dinner.

But how can you POSSIBLY stay within the daily sugar unless you only eat vegetables and meat? Really?

Replies

• c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yep the sugar allowance is really small. all my fruit and even some veggies, plus any rice or almond milk puts me at like four times the sugar. personally, I look at it this way. if I am overdoing it was sugars from fresh raw fruits and veggies I feel comfortable with that over using sugar up with soda, donuts and candy. I know some people say a carbs a carb and sugar is a sugar, but at this point sticking to no fruit and staying under that sugar amount is completely impractical and im losing anyway.so yeah :)
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    fruits naturally have a large amount of sugar. and I've realised to only take some of the readings here with a grain of salt. Yes, my oranges have a lot of sugar, but its different sugar than the processed things in soda or foods. Butter has a surprisingly large amount, but as long as you watch your processed sugar intake you should be ok
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    THose sugars are what makes our blood sugars spike and bottom out, causing our metabolism to be messed up and allowing us to be hungry and crave food again. I usually stay between 25-30 grams of sugar a day!
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    I mostly ignore my sugar values - I tend to eat a lot of fruit so easily go over the limit. However, if I was eating a lot of 'junk' or processed food, then I would do something about it.

You shouldn't give upfruit or milk - they have too many other beneficial nutrients in it. As long as you are satisfied that what you are eating contains 'good sugars' then I wouldn't worry too much. :smile:
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with you after breakfast I am user have way 50 to 75% of my sugar (24 grams) and this if with fruit, milk, and whole grain cereal. So I just have said the heck with it. All long as it is fruits, vegetable and whole grains it healthy.
  • esthertsivia
    esthertsivia Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ok, how do you do that? What do you eat that doesn't have sugar in it? We NEED fruit.
  • esthertsivia
    esthertsivia Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    And thanks everyone for the comfort! I feel better now. I'm going to a nutritionist next week so hopefully I can get some more insight on this 28 g number... haha