Soda

Options
Why must I love you so... =[ I think we need a mountain dew support group. I swear, soda is my biggest downfall and the biggest reason I am why I am today! Anybody feel me on this one?

Replies

• esthertsivia
    esthertsivia Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for sure. I am totally addicted. At one point I was having 4 cans a day. Now, I am down to 1 a day. I am not even aiming for 0 at this point. One coke puts me over my daily sugar and it takes away half a meal's worth of food...
    but...
    I love it....

:(
  • LizzieBrayden
    Options
    Just think of what that corn syrup can really do!! I don't drink it as I am allergic to corn (as well as wheat, soy, and casein) :)) Good luck getting the soda out of the way.

4372300.png Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    soda is my vice, but i barely drink caffeinated pop any more and have reduced my consumption to a few a month
    but i feel your pain i don't think i can cut it out completely lol
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about switching to diet? Soda in general isn't that good for you, but at least with diet you aren't taking in all that extra sugar. I know that diet doesn't taste "as good" as the regular stuff, but you'd save a lot of calories and letting it go would help you get to your goal faster. You could also try drinking low calorie sports drinks like Powerade Zero or G2. Those taste sugary but aren't as many extra calories.

Stick with it! :)
  • VictorVegaJr
    VictorVegaJr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about switching to diet? Soda in general isn't that good for you, but at least with diet you aren't taking in all that extra sugar. I know that diet doesn't taste "as good" as the regular stuff, but you'd save a lot of calories and letting it go would help you get to your goal faster. You could also try drinking low calorie sports drinks like Powerade Zero or G2. Those taste sugary but aren't as many extra calories.

Stick with it! :)

That's what I have been trying to do. I like G2 and Vitamin Water Zero. They are both good, I just still love my soda.... I'm trying to kick the habbit completely or at least get it to being reasonable. I guess it's something I have to work on. One thing I try to do is only drink soda when I go out to eat and never at the house. I only eat out like twice a week so it isn't that bad.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Since I started on MyFitnessPal 7 months ago, I have been drinking diet soda instead of regular. I still crave regular coke but definitely not as much.

The big difference is we only keep diet soda in the house now, so to get a regular one it requires a special trip. When it really comes down to it, there are may more things I'd rather spend my calories on than something to drink.
  • rbcool
    rbcool Posts: 20
    Options
    I feel ya ! I like regular classic coke. I mostly drink Dasani water , but sometimes I get a yen for something else to drink
    so I take a couple of sips (about a quarter to a half cup) of coke. One bottle lasts me about 7 -10 days. You may want to cut back gradually, so that it's not too uncomfortable for you .
  • Katymom22
    Katymom22 Posts: 121
    Options
    I just quit mountain dew 2 months ago i replaced it with sobe 0 calorie life water(strawberry kiwi lemonaide is my favorite!) I was drinking on the upwards of 8 cans a day!! i just started mfp and have lost weight pretty easy and i think its because i quit the mountain dew cold turkey!!:wink:
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I gave up my precious soda when I started doing this, and haven't had one in three weeks now. I usually drank around four sodas a day (large glasses at home, 16 oz bottles at work). I still have a couple of Dews in the fridge waiting for me, but I haven't given in to temptation yet. Sure - I would love to have one, but I haven't been craving soda. One of these days, I'll just have one again, but each day I think about it, I think, "Well, I've gone xx days without it, might as well go without one more day."

The diet drinks will save you the calories and sugar, but the sweetness is still there. Diet or regular, that will make you hungrier.

I will drink my soda again, but I'll limit them, and it could take a while to get through my supply in the basement.
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Diet Pepsi or thought I was- once I did without it for a few months it no longer tasted as good as I once thought it did
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I quit smoking three and a half years ago. I quit drinking diet coke (a six-pack-a-day habit) three years ago and it was easier to quit smoking. I know it's hard, but it can be done. I did it because I wanted to quit ingesting artificial sweetners. Soooo three years later I went to India, and of course got "Dehli Belly" (the Indian version of Montezuma's revenge), and drank a coke in an attempt to settle my stomach (regular, but made with cane sugar since it was bottled internationally). I had to let it go flat. I couldn't stand the carbonation and it was WAYYYY to sweet. A few days later I wanted to see if it was the illness that made the coke unappealing or just that I no longer like cokes. Guess what - still couldn't do it. It actually made me feel sick! On the other hand, I am now severely addicted to coffee....
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    Diet Pepsi was my drug of choice...however, I have been on a "get rid of the soda" mission for about month now and I haven't had one in ...geee, almost a week and ya know what, I haven't missed it! I have discovered a little secret that really helps me drink water ( not a water drinker at all)'. I put a small piece of raw Ginger in the bottle sometimes I also add a cucumber w the Ginger...sometimes a strawberry or any fruit that I like. So refreshing and I find that I am now craving my "spa" drink instead of the Pepsi. Give it a try...my son loves this way of drinking water and it's gotten him off the soda too.
  • Bmorrow
    Options
    Diet Pepsi was my drug of choice...however, I have been on a "get rid of the soda" mission for about month now and I haven't had one in ...geee, almost a week and ya know what, I haven't missed it! I have discovered a little secret that really helps me drink water ( not a water drinker at all)'. I put a small piece of raw Ginger in the bottle sometimes I also add a cucumber w the Ginger...sometimes a strawberry or any fruit that I like. So refreshing and I find that I am now craving my "spa" drink instead of the Pepsi. Give it a try...my son loves this way of drinking water and it's gotten him off the soda too.
  • Bmorrow
    Options
    Funny
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OOh Ginger in your water is a good idea. I have not drank sodas (anything carbonated) since 2007. I had terrible heartburn, throat pain and after many physicians visits and eventually major throat surgery I havent drank them since. Now, I can't even drink them. They taste terrible. Once you don't drink them a while they no longer taste good. Try it.... You will be suprised...
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I got those horrible headaches when I tried to go cold turkey. Now I drink a regular coffee, not the sugary kind. I don't have the headaches and I'm not drinking my calories.
  • Nina_Crowson
    Options
    ooo soda. its been 4 weeks and honestly i dont miss it now. The first 2 weeks were so hard, i wanted to hit the coke button instead of the water button in the vending machine here at work. LOL. But im ok now. Good luck!! : )
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    1 year 2 months no soda. haven't missed it one bit. When I did consume soda, I drank regular not that diet crap! I just went cold turkey. haven't looked back since!