Running and weight loss

Options
I'm training to run a half marathon and have been running and dieting or about 6 weeks now. I've only lost about 5 pounds and I'm very discouraged. I feel like I'm working so hard and the training is going well, how can you run so much and not lose hardly any weight? A friend of mine mentioned perhaps I'm not eating enough? I don't know.....anyone that can help out there? I ran 25 miles this week. I'm a bit disgruntled.......

Replies

• jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    I've run 3 1/2 marathons and one full -- and am training for my second full -- running about 3 years consistently 25-50 miles per week -- and I have not lost a pound! VERY FRUSTRATED! Please let me know if you get any good suggestions! I certainly feel your pain!
  • kzskstir
    Options
    That really does happen. I have been running for about 5 years now and have gone through the same slump at times. Make sure you are eating plenty of protein to keep your body going, and for runners carbs are a really good thing! Just don't overdo. Keep working. Half marathons are a blast!
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hmmm... I am doing the same thing.

You might need to play with your calories. I had to lower mine a little further to start really losing. The guide they give you is a general recommendation, however, you might need something else. Try adding 50 calories or taking 50 calories away, that might be all you need.

Also be sure to watch you iron intake and your protein. If these get low you might be in trouble. If you have the iPhone app i know you can view these statistics, I'm not sure if you can on the web version. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Rochelle
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? With so much exercise you need to make sure getting enough nutrition.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I only lost 5 pounds after my full 14 weeks of half marathon training. 5 pounds in 6 weeks is awesome! I personally only strive to lose 1/2 a pound a week when i'm cutting back.

Also, depending your your weight and pace, 25 miles will only burn 2500 or so calories. Not even a pound, so it seems you're right on track.

You also should be eating more to compensate for your exercise and don't forget that your body shape is changing. Less fat, more muscle, which is more dense.