Baby Spinach

Options
dmhat6278
dmhat6278 Posts: 25 Member
The "use by" date on my bag of baby spinach is in two days. There's too much left to just eat with light ranch dressing. Any ideas?

Replies

• schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Saute it and use with either eggs or egg beaters in an omelet
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Sauté with onion, garlic and mushrooms. Or steam it. I use it like lettuce in a sandwich. You also could Blanche and freeze it for future use.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I use it with walnuts and blue cheese for a salad. Or sauteed in olive oil with garlic--delic!
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Quiche! Or Soup!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oh that should be easy to use up - jut add it to anything else you are cooking!
    - It's great shredded finely and added to soup or rice or casserole.
    - Or finely chop 1/2 (or more if you like it) or garlic, saute it for a minute or so in a non stick pan (add olive oil if you eat it) then saute the baby spinach for about a minute. Great alongside grilled chicken or fish or spinach.
    - Or, cook up some onion, garlic, chilli, ground coriander, ground cummin, add a tin of tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes then add the spinach. Cook till it wilts, then add some decent sized chunks of red capsicum (pepper). Add paneer (Indian cheese - you can make it yourself from skim milk and lemon juice) cut in chunks. Yum! Or, maybe even better, google a real recipe for palaak paneer, just leave out the oil when you are cooking the veges. My recipe isn't authentic, but related to the Indian one!
  • sybiltoney
    sybiltoney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can make creamed spinach with low fat sour cream and low fat cream cheese. Super easy.
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes sounds like a spinach omelet for breakfast, a salad with spinach and some tomorrow night.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    Toss it in soup, or cook it in any vegetable dish.

Dip it in cottage cheese!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I love it stuffed into a pita with hummus and fresh sliced tomato!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Make a smoothie!!!!

http://greenmonstermovement.com/ Recipe link is on the right hand side!!
  • kirstengirl
    Options
    Make a Green Smoothy. They are delicious and you cannot taste the raw spinach. Even my kids love them! I make mine with a bit of plain lowfat yogurt, a half a banana or a small whole one, some frozen berries and either orange juice or water, ice and a huge handful of spinach. Blend it up and enjoy!
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Make a smoothie!!!!

http://greenmonstermovement.com/ Recipe link is on the right hand side!!

Thx for the recipes. I was wondering how people make these :)
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Also, your spinach might say it expires in 2 days, but it will probably still be ok. If you still have some by the exp date then just go through it and throw out any leaves that don't look ok to you :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Put it in a fruit smoothie! Chop it up super small and serve it with rice. If you make anything with ground meat, or if you make something like a lentil loaf, chop it up and mix it in there. Put it in pasta sauce. Really, just put it in just about anything! It's a magical food.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Just a note- if it's not visibly gross, I often eat produce past the "best by" date. But all the uses mentioned above are good. Boiling it or steaming it helps because it shrinks down a great deal after cooking and you can eat more of it. ]

HTH
  • dmhat6278
    dmhat6278 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for all the great ideas!! It's nice to have new ways to use healthy ingredients.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    I like to freeze spinach then add it to fruit smoothies when I make them. It turns out great if you just freeze it fresh. No need to blanch or otherwise cook it.