Hello everyone, new here with a 100+ pds to loose..

Options
need so motivation to get my but in gear and start exercising. if nothing else at least walking. i just cant seem to find the want to.....

looking foward to any suggestions.

Thanks
Bunny

Replies

• Damchatay
    Damchatay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try working out with a friend
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. That's what I am doing. I have over 100 pounds to lose also, but I am aiming for 2 pounds a week, I haven't been here that long but I have lost 12 pounds since Jan. 2011. Remember it takes 30 days to change a bad habit, so stick with it for 30 days and you will see it will get easier. :happy:
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Those first few steps can be hard, especially when you have a significant amount to lose. We can all give you advice and support, but your real motivation has to come from within yourself. What do YOU want? Do you want to feel healthier? Do you want to add years to your life? Do you want to be strong for your family? Do you want to wear pretty clothes, or run into an old friend and have them be amazed at how awesome you look? Those are a few of my motivators. Maybe they'll work for you too. :) good luck on your journey!
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also have 100+ lbs to lose.

Have you tried Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home dvds? I really like them. It's what I do. 1 mile usually takes 12-15 minutes.

Good luck! You CAN do it!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Definitely start doing some exercise. My motto is that when I don't feel like exercising, I at least give it 5 minutes and it always keeps me working because I just needed to begin and once I begin, of course I don't want to quit.

Good luck on your journey. I stil have about 60 pounds to go.
  • pepsi2
    pepsi2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Bunny,
    One step at a time. Regardless of whether you feel like it or not. Get up and just go, once you start when its over you will be glad you did.. I have lost 40 lbs and still have 60 to go and I wish I could tell you it gets easier to get off the couch but it doesn't. i don't really enjoy exercise but know in order to achieve my goal I have to..
    One foot in front of the other.. Get some music to listen too and some good shoes makes its easier.

Pepsi
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Welcome aboard! Good luck on your new journey..we are all here for support. Once you start and you see a little difference you will continue to do great and feel better. There are a lot of great food and exercise ideas on here.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes I have 100lbs that I want to lose. I am however breaking it down into smaller amounts so it don't feel over whelming. My first goal is to lose 30 by the end of summer. If I do I am going to go get some pictures done to show off my new size. Feel free to add me as a friend and send msgs to chat.
  • heidiscool
    Options
    Hi Bunny,

I've lost 86 pounds out of a total of 140 to lose. I have to tell you that your motivation has to come from within. You have to focus on why you want to lose weight. For me it was that I was tired of feeling unattractive and unhealthy. I would have pains in my chest and wonder if that was it... I have two young children and wanted to make sure I stick around for them. I want to watch my little girl get married and meet my grandchildren. Once I reviewed all those reasons I set aside an hour a day to exercise and I do it every day. It has gotten to the point that I can't wait for my exercise time because it is solely my time. I put a DVD in and walk or ride my exercise bike or I go to a strength training class at the gym. If I can do it, you can too. Good luck,

Heidi
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm much the same as you. I'm finding keeping track of my calories a whole lot easier than getting up and exercising. I know I'm going to have to work in the physical activity, but I've been slow to do so.

But i'm a great cheerleader. Feel free to add me. One can never have too many friends...or cheerleaders! :)

(Welcome!!!)
  • valsdetermine2lose
    Options
    Hi there, I know exactly what you mean. I had to start slow then i adjusted to working out, walking on the treadmill. First i could only do 10 minutes and was sooooo tired and out of breath but by making effort everyday i increased to 30 then 40 minutes on the tredmill. I can do an hour walk now. I try and excercise at least 3 to 4 times a week. Every minute counts even if you do 5 minutes of walking trust me. It's been easier now to excercse but some days i drag myself out of bed to do it first thing in the morning to get it over with!
    I recently had a weight loss surgery and i need to step it up a bit and try 5 times a week. This is what i did, i bought a MP3 player ad downloaded all of favorite songs, gospel, r&b, jazz. The songs i choose are at lease 5 to 6 minutes long so if i listen to 5 songs thats around a half hour and a 1 mile walk. Hope you find a strategy that works for you and good luck!
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Commitment! You can do it!! My best advice to you is plan ahead for everything and stick to it as if there is no other option. I cook my eggbeaters, mushrooms, and turkey bacon for the week all on Sunday night then I know that's what I have to eat every morning. Plan your snacks, meals, grocery lists, everything! It seems like such a distant dream right now but before you know it, you will be 3 months down the road and at least 20-30 pounds gone and you will be tickled!!!
  • AmyMarie31
    Options
    Hi hun... All you need is some really up beat music and an mp3 player or ipod. Just make yourself do that walk for a week... You will feel the difference right away and look forward to that time to un wind and listen to some awesome music.... I now love walking! LOL Best of luck!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    I have 200+ to lose so i know where you are coming from.

Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home dvds!!

I have the 5 day slim down, i cannot advertise this lady enough lol you can pick how long you go there is warm up and cool down and it will keep you moving and help build up your stamina.

you can find dvd's at walmart or target for 9$

or you can just try her out here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk

and if you are feeling really good here is mile two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8b4P57jNsQ

this is what i tried before buying the dvd. good luck on your journey
  • merryxmas15
    merryxmas15 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel, bunny. I also have over 100 pounds to lose and I started with walking. After awhile I added some strength training and even some work out wii games just to prevent boredom. The motivation you're looking for is all over this site! People here are great and they always understand how it is when you know you should be doing something but you just can't seem to. You said you can't seem to find the want but I'm gonna disagree with you! You have it, its there you just have to let it out! Sometimes when I know I don't want to but I should be working out I start by just putting on my workout clothes. I may sit around in them for a bit but then I figure well I'm already dressed for it so I might as well. Also if you just don't want to go for a walk tell yourself you'll just go for 10 minutes then you may just start enjoying it enough (or not hating it too much anyway) that you'll go for a little longer. Also you can trick yourself a little by walking 10 minutes in one direction so even if when your time is up you still have to turn around and get back home so you actually walk for 20 minutes!
    Good luck bunny and just know that you can do this!!!! I'll send you a friend request and just keep on keeping on!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I have about 100 lbs to lose, too, and the task does seem daunting. Luckily on MFP there are tons of supportive people to be your cheerleaders when you need it :smile:
  • alarcher
    alarcher Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It truly is an uphill battle. I have 180lbs to lose and I can honestly say that it is really hard. If it weren't for my husband to help push me to excercise I wouldn't be down the weight I am. Excercise is the key no matter how little just keep active. If you need a friend add me and I will be there to help you.
  • soulforhire
    Options
    Try doing exercises in smaller increments. Everything I've read suggests that your body doesn't know when you do the exercise only that you're doing it. I have to pace myself when doing cardio due to a heart thing and it's easier for me to do things in 15 minute sets.

Try to exercise with a friend as well, but don't depend on them to make you exercise. I've found that the time I spend exercising flies by when I have a friend along. On those days that I don't have someone with me, I try to do something I really enjoy, which for me is swimming.

I've only been exercising since the beginning of the year with 100+ pounds to lose and the exercise is slowly becoming a habit for me. I'm losing around two pounds a week so that has been the motivation I need to keep doing it.
  • Surtec
    Surtec Posts: 5
    Options
    Okay I'll bite........how? I need all the help you can give!
  • velazqsa
    Options
    Hi and welcome. As many members have said, take it one day at a time. Try and make small goals and allow for some cheats every now and then. I find that walking with someone helps. If you have the means, try the Wii Fit Plus game. I get on it at least 3 time a week and it's a lot of fun even if its by yourself. Good luck and God bless.