Question about walking

Options
Hi fellow MFPers!

I walk to work everyday, which according to Mapmyrun.com is about 1mile from my house to my work, and I walk it going and coming back (~2miles/day)...I am so used to this walk that I don't even know if it should be counted toward my daily exercise, especially since it doesn't really feel much like a workout to me, just a task of going from point A to B? Should I include it in my exercise diary?

Thanks for your advice and comments in advance!!

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    just my two cents but i only count deliberate exercise to "eat back" on my cals. if it's something extra i count it... if it's part of my normal day, i do not.
  • kaylenlawrence
    kaylenlawrence Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt consider it as exercise..just because you walk around mall you probably arent gonna count that as your exercise for the day,

i wish i could walk to work!
  • burlyn12
    Options
    I would not count it.. just add it as a little bonus when you do lose more! I only count the "work outs" i set out each day as my exercise time. That is nice you are able to walk to work hit two bird with one stone.. not paying for gas and more time burning off extra calories you might have forgotten about. :)
  • lisa4kids
    lisa4kids Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would probably just count different things that you add in. For example, I am not adding in housework because I do that every day anyway.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Does your body know the difference between a walk to work and a walk around the block? There are two places to possibly count it. Either when you are asked to select active, moderate, sedentary etc. I would use it to bump up from sedentary to moderate. The other place to count it is as daily exercise.

Do one or the other, but not both, and your numbers will be accurate.
  • charliecantu
    Options
    I think you should just keep it an everyday activity and not track it. Anything extra add that.
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it as exercise, just factor it in when setting your activity level. I walk a lot at my job (most days), and I'm always going up and down stairs but I don't count the calories I might burn from that. I also only have my activity level as sedentary.
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think everyone here reached the same consensus...only count deliberate exercise! Thanks everyone!! :)
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One last thought, I log everything that I would need to replace if I quit. So if you quit walking to work, would it have an impact on your calories and weight? Would the impact be enough that you would have to find another actrivity to replace it? If so, then logging it (actually think of recording it) gives you the most complete picture of your activities. Simply put, if stopping the activity would cause you to gain weight, wouldn't you want a complete picture of how many calories it is, how often you did it, etc?