HELP, IM ADDICTED!

Options
Okay, serious question............

I am addicted to peanut butter and I cannot stop eating it

(yes, I am aware of the healthy fats and protein in it but its only good in moderation.. 2tbsp TOPS)

but I am ADDICTED to it and tend to eat then what I am "allowed"

how do I stop this? (& no not buying it is not an option when you live with 5 other people)

If you can see my diary I am a very STRICT eater and I dont have a problem giving up anything else, so what the deal here?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    ummm, according to your ticker, it does not seem to have affected your success. Remember, it is not the worst thing you could be addicted to. I love it too. Thankfully, on my program I am allowed 1 tablespoon a day.
  • AADLONG
    AADLONG Posts: 12
    Options
    Well I have learned with myself I can't just cut back on things I have to completely stop. You may have to stop for a bit and then try it again. Or you can take your servings and split them up in something so you get a little at a time.
  • jenniecustodio09
    Options
    Try Better'N Peanut Butter from Trader Joes! It has half of the calories and tastes just as good (I actually think it tastes better!)
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe the reduced fat or all natural. I haven't tried them so I have no idea how they taste!
  • heidiscool
    Options
    We all have trigger foods and that sounds like yours. I have a couple and I just don't start eating them. They are in the house but I ignore them. (Like cases of girl scout cookies right now...) Try going a week without peanut butter. Then go two weeks. After awhile your addiction will fade. Can you live with never having it again or just once in a very long while?
  • bethann1976
    Options
    PB2 from Bell Plantation. You can search the threads here, a lot of us have found local stores that carry it.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    maybe use it as a reward... like if you workout a certain amount of time and are under your calorie goals you can have one spoonful or add it to your breakfast so you can enjoy the benefits of the protein & already had some, so you won't crave it by depriving yourself the rest of the day. :o)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Freeze a teaspoon of it so it takes you a really long time to lick it all off. :wink: It'll let you savor the flavor a lot longer without eating as much.

Unless your tongue freezes to the spoon like the Triple Dog Dare kid in A Christmas Story. :embarassed:
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i might be an addict too. at one time i would just randomly eat spoonfuls of the stuff. also i'm a recovering sugar addict, my church just went on a fast where we couldnt have any meat or sweets along with other stuff. now that its over i dont have that crazy craving for sugar as i've got used to it. so maybe you should just try like a week without it. or better try to go one day without it and go from t here
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    How much are you actually having? I flipped through your diary and it looks like you're having 0, 1, or 2 tbsp per day. 1 or 2 tbsp per day is perfectly good.
  • melle27
    melle27 Posts: 23
    Options
    i love peanut butter but i have to stop eating it .i feel with you .i looked at your pictures and you look good every now then. some peanut butter would be so bad. smile
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    I have been good with it the past few days but my problem is im trying to keep my protein at 130grams.... peanut butter only has like 7 per serving so when I eat peanut butter I SHOULD be eating something like cottage cheese... some days I will skip my egg whites for a tabespoon of PB which is fine for my calorie intake but not fine for my protein.. see what im saying?
  • BrandeeJ
    Options
    When I have serious cravings I try to figure out why I'm craving it. Is it just because it tasts good, or maybe I crave something sweet because my blood sugar is low or I crave red meat because I haven't had enough protien for a while. Some times I crave things for emotional reasons because it's a nostagic food for me. What ever the reason if you can figure out why you want something you can focus on the reason your eating it and stop when you have met that need. A nutritionist helped me learn this technique and I promise it works. Another thing that works for me with cravings is to go ahead and eat the food but I measure out a serving and put away the container. (my thing is peanut m&m's) I hope that helps.
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of funny, as I was addicted to peanut better for about a year! But the good kind.

I eat Sanitarium (An Australian brand) 100% peanut- Natural Peanut butter (Crunchy- but you can get smooth as well) At least that way i know I am eating peanuts alone- it tastes amazing when you are used to it! I CANT eat the other crap anymore- it makes me feel so sick! It has to be 100% peanuts for me or nothing!

ps: your weight loss ticker suggests you are doing well anyway! Why cut out the peanut butter? I think you should just do an extra 10 minutes exercise each day to make up for the peanut butter calories rather than cutting it out- it's not like it's hot chips!!! :)
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    Spread it thin --

Slice apples and then dip a tiny amount of peanut butter on each one. Don't dip from a huge amount, just spread a little bit on the end of each slice (or every other slice).
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have been good with it the past few days but my problem is im trying to keep my protein at 130grams.... peanut butter only has like 7 per serving so when I eat peanut butter I SHOULD be eating something like cottage cheese... some days I will skip my egg whites for a tabespoon of PB which is fine for my calorie intake but not fine for my protein.. see what im saying?

Sorta kinda. But I think you have room to have your little bit of pb every day, and still get all the protein you need. Have it before or after your eggs or cottage cheese (not instead of). Play around and set up a theoretical meal plan for tomorrow - I bet you can fit 1 or 2 tbsp in, and still be within your calorie and nutrition goals. Your fat has to come from somewhere; might as well have it be peanut butter.

Sorry if this this was like the opposite of what you're looking to hear, but I'm definitely not going to say quit eating it! I'm having a mad love affair with peanut butter.

edit: fix typo
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    throw away all the spoons in your house.... come on seriously it could be something worse like PIZZA
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    @ 305 bahahaha... I do consume my peanut butter but im haven a hard time keeping it at 2 tbsp a day. like right now im looking at a granny smith green apple and a jar of peanut butter asking to be eaten. =/ hmmmmmm
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    go for it add a little xtra protein to your diet
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    WE ARE ALL ADDICTED, and if you want to do something about it read 'The End of Overeating' by David Kessler.

Conditioned hypereating is a biological challenge, not a character flaw, says Kessler, former FDA commissioner under presidents Bush and Clinton).

Since the 1980s, the food industry, in collusion with the advertising industry, and lifestyle changes have short-circuited the body's self-regulating mechanisms, leaving many at the mercy of reward-driven eating.

Through the evidence of research, personal stories (including candid accounts of his own struggles) and examinations of specific foods produced by giant food corporations and restaurant chains, Kessler explains how the desire to eat—as distinct from eating itself—is stimulated in the brain by an almost infinite variety of diabolical combinations of salt, fat and sugar.

Although not everyone succumbs, more people of all ages are being set up for a lifetime of food obsession due to the ever-present availability of foods laden with salt, fat and sugar.

This book has been my most important diet tool and I highly recommend it.