vegetarian recipes

Options
so pretty much im a poor veggie who doesn't know how to cook..
anything easy and healthy that you can think of?

Replies

• Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend checking out vegetariantimes.com or their magazine. I have been a vegetarian for 9 years and I use stuff from their website at least twice a week!
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    to save money, stock up on frozen veggies when they are on sale, try and focus mainly on whats in season and if its cheap enough to buy extra try to do that and preserve it. make a weekly menu with repeating ingredients, so you have fewer things to purchase. I'm a Pescetarian, You can add me if you'd like ,my food journal might give you some ideas.
  • SKINNYMOMOF5
    SKINNYMOMOF5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    soups!
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    to save money, stock up on frozen veggies when they are on sale, try and focus mainly on whats in season and if its cheap enough to buy extra try to do that and preserve it. make a weekly menu with repeating ingredients, so you have fewer things to purchase. I'm a Pescetarian, You can add me if you'd like ,my food journal might give you some ideas.

thats one i havent heard before whats a "Pescetarian"?????
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options

thats one i havent heard before whats a "Pescetarian"?????

A vegetarian who occasionally eats seafood :)
  • tracym97
    tracym97 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I keep brown rice and potatos cooked and in fridge at all times. It allows me to make quick and easy meals. I also keep alot of frozen veggies. I do like to do fresh veggies also but sometimes they don't look so fresh or if money is running low I have them in the freezer. Sometimes I just throw some veggies in a ziplock steam bag heat some rice or potatos and top the whole thing with some salsa. You can't get much easier then that. I also make a veggie and rice soup. I take a 28oz can no salt tomatos 2 bags of frozen soup veggies and either water or veggie broth. Then I just add a palm full of whatever seasoning you want. I use Ms dash or Italian seasoning. Then after about 20 min of simmering I add some precooked brown rice or potatos. I also tend to keep some sort of lentils or chili made up, both go great over rice or potatoes then add steamed veggies or salad and you have easy and healthy meal. I hope this gives you some ideas. Tracy
  • ajikan81
    Options
    I'm a mostly vegetarian as well, and I make a lot of meals using various types of beans or lentils with vegetables. Google 'black bean chili' and you can find some really easy ideas to make a healthy and filling meal. Also, adding chickpeas or beans to a good salad is a really good idea. There are quite a few blogs online that have vegetarian cooking ideas. One I like is called Cheap, Healthy, Good (or something like that). It has mostly veg meals, and at the end of the meals they do a price and nutritional breakdown of each meal.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Well, depending on your definition of "easy", black bean burritos could be something to throw together.

1 can black beans (drained)
    green pepper chopped
    1/4 to 1/2 cup onion diced.
    Shredded cheese
    Light sour cream
    Salsa verde
    Sprouts or Spinach
    Diced tomato
    Tortilla

Sautee the onion and pepper, then add the black beans. Add packet of taco seasoning or season yourself (let me know if you'd like a recipe for homemade taco seasoning).

Can get super low calorie tortillas from La Tortilla Factory (50 each). Fill with the bean mixture, add the toppings (sparingly on the dairy, or can obviously skip if you want to save the calories). I entered this in the recipe calculator using the Garlic and Herb tortillas, light sour cream (2 tbs per burrito) and 1/8 cup of shredded cheese (per burrito). Calorie count came out to 215 per serving. It may actually be lower than that (189 per serving) if I stretch the ingredients and make more burritos out of it.

They're REALLY good and my non-vegetarian partner LOVES, even REQUESTS them! :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Buy ziplock freezer bags. You can then buy quick sale produce, roast or blanch and freeze. This way you have your own frozen veg. if you have one in your area, join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). It's another way to get good produce inexpensively. If you like beans invest in a crock pot and cook your own. Again, you can freeze them in ziplocks.

Vegetarian times is a good magazine for recipes
    I recently bought The vegan Soul Kitchen cookbook and love it.