pilates reformer vs mat classes

Options
Over the weekend I went to my first pilates class with the reformer machines. It really worked my muscles and it felt like a strength training session! However, they are quite pricey at $75/hour.

Have any of you taken pilates reformer classes, and how are they better or different from the pilates mat classes? (I've only taken one mat class before so it's hard for me to judge.) I would like to see my body look longer and leaner, but I don't know whether the reformer classes are worthwhile and would offer more benefits than a free mat class would. Thanks!

Replies

• ReneeInEasley
    Options
    I have an aero pilates machine..but not sure about the reformer:glasses:
  • saltkm
    saltkm Posts: 7
    Options
    How do you like it? I'm not sure being a beginner if its right for me or not. QVC actually has it on easypay. I have bad knees and very weak stomach muscles.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I used to have a Pilates Proformer machine that I used in my home. This is similar but not the same as the reformer classes, which have intensive one-on-one or small group instruction. I have also done Pilates mat classes. And comparing the mat work to using the machine, I find that it’s a lot harder to go through the full range of motion when I’m battling my own body weight on the mat vs, being fully supported on the machine. But, the physical results are the same. For a more detailed discussion, this link might help: http://life.gaiam.com/article/should-you-do-pilates-mat-or-reformer . Or perhaps someone with reformer experience can pipe in.
  • ReneeInEasley
    Options
    I love my aeropilates - it is great - I can always feel a difference but in a good way