Medical question....

Options
I know this isn't a medical forum, but maybe you guys can help me out (esp. those in the health field). My mom woke up this morning feeling extremely dizzy, like the room was spinning. She has been in bed all day because when she moves, she feels dizzy again. She has taken some meds to help with the nausea assoc. w/ the dizziness. It has helped some, but she still feels incredibly dizzy!! I told her it might be an inner ear problem, or something like BPPV or just a spell of vertigo. Not entirely sure- does anyone have a clue?? Maybe you have experienced something similar? She is a healthy middle aged woman, never had problems in this area before.

Replies

• liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    if it doesn't go away, I would just check in with your doctor or one of those Urgent Care places. Better to be safe than sorry. You can also run through symptoms on Webmd.com
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    my daughter experienced this last week
    she ended up with a terrible head cold and no longer has the dizziness.
  • denneg
    denneg Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi-

I'm a nurse - if I had a patient experience those symptoms, especially lasting all day, I'd want them to be checked out in the ER. She should have an EKG, have her vitals checked, check for an infection. It could be vertigo, which can come on suddenly, and if it is, they could put her on the right medication. Make sure she is taking in plenty of fluids, as dehydration can also cause dizziness. But, like I said, I think you might want to take her to the ER if she's not feeling any better by now! Or at least call her primary care physician and tell them what's going on. I wish I could help more, but that's the best advice I can do!

Good luck, and tell her to feel better!
  • badseedsister
    Options
    Not to alarm you, but this could actually be serious. I am an ICU nurse who treats patients with neurological disorders. I would definitely contact her doctor as this may be much more than an inner ear problem. She needs medical intervention,an evaluation by physician. This could well prove to be something very simple, but I don't advocate self-diagnosis or internet diagnosis.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am internal medicine physician. You are correct, could be benign positional vertigo (which usually manifests with changes in head movement) or vestibular neuronitis ( commonly referred to as inner ear problem although cause is largely unknown). BUT agree with others that if persists needs to see doctor as there can be more serious causes such as posterior cerculation (cerebellar stroke). The first two are statistically more likely and may be self limited but obviously no one can diagnose over the internet. There are other possible causes such as Meniere's disease as well.
  • Lutiebelle
    Lutiebelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing the same symptoms for years. Thought it was BPPV but just had an exam last week by an otolaryngologist and it turned out to be Meniere's disease. Not a lot you can do about it but at least I now know what it is.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor.