"you will weigh xIBs in 5 weeks" are these accurate?

Options

Replies

• DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think you said this perfect... personally I know mine is off because I was dieting before I joined... and in 5 weeks I lost more then what this is predicting I will... its a good guide, but not perfect... I still liking seeing it even if I pass it up or follow it perfectly or fall behind.
    If you do the math, that statement is simply based on your original weight loss goal per week. So, if your goal is to lose 2 lbs. per week, in 5 weeks you will lose 10 lbs. (if you stay within your calorie goals). If you subtract that 10 from your current weight, you get your projected 5 week weight loss. It's important to remember, though, that we are not always going to meet those goals or may go over them (for a variety of reasons). It's simply a guide...nothing more, nothing less.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    It's not accurate for me at all. But then again I'm doing weight training, so I'm putting on muscle at close to the same rate that I'm losing fat.
  • gypsyrosedog
    Options
    Just for fun I am trying to remember to copy and paste the statement into my daily food notes so when I get 5 weeks under my belt (and after) I can look back and see for fun.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I really hope it's not accurate I'm looking at the Goals section not the food diary since I don't log food But I changed my workouts to 6 days a week for 30 minutes (even though I really do 60 minutes) and to lose 1 lb per week and it says I'll lose 5 lbs by March 6 Goodness I hope by March 6 I'm TEN lbs lighter not FIVE
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I am pretty sure it's close to be accurate. I wish there was a way in pick a date, and then it would tell you if your on track to meet your goal by then.

I agree I rather pick a date and it tell me if Im on track, ahead of schedule or falling behind .... As far as the current predictions I could see it being true if I keep losing weight at the rate I am losing it
    They do it this way because 5 weeks is 35 days. It makes it simple to calculate a weight difference because one pound is 3,500 calories.
  • heatsy
    heatsy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that it says "if every day were like today"...meaning if you ate the exact same things, same amounts, and burnt the same number of calories. mine varies greatly from day to day, depending on what kind of day I had. for example, on thursday i worked out for 2 hours and ate well-it said I would weigh 157 in 5 weeks. today i worked out for an hour but didn't eat great, and it said I would weigh 166. i wouldn't put too much stock in it.
  • vcmorse
    vcmorse Posts: 18
    Options
    how do you find it what section is it on
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    sometimes it is sometimes it isnt... its just an estimate/prediction. my advice? you will lose something if following it properly and something is better than nothing
  • carolinemacdonald22
    Options
    The key words is "if every day was like today." It has been accurate for me when I do that.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you have days like that everyday I have no doubt it could be accurate. But it's not 100%. People lose different and some may be gaining muscle but losing inches. It all depends.
  • teramae
    teramae Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I once got a fortune cookie that said I'd be married by 21. Well...Don't put stock in projections, just yourself.

Bummer...I got a fortune cookie a couple of weeks ago that said I wouldn't have to work for financial security, now I'm crushed!!

Also, as far as the projections go...I haven't been on long enough to tell, or even thought to write them down. But they seem to be on par with the 1.5 lbs/week I have been losing. So, I guess I will find out soon enough.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I wish it would go by 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes, seeing the lower number, makes me want to give up more than encourage me. I see something in the low 170's and I just want to be there NOW. Not in 5 weeks...5 weeks just feels like forever. 2 or 3 weeks would be so nice cause it feels like it's just around the corner. YET...the 5 weeks projection is probably better than none at all. Maybe some day in the future they will let us choose who many weeks out we want to project out. That would be so nice!
  • yvonnerab
    Options
    It hasn't been acurate for me, as durring my first 2 weeks it said I would weigh 218 in 5 weeks...well I've been on MFP for 28 days and I'm now at 214...today it says I will be 210 in 5 weeks...I'll check in again in 5 weeks and I'm betting I will be lower by a pound or 3.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    It says "if every day were like today".... I'm only 4 weeks in, but I have no intention of eating the exact same foods for 5 weeks to test this out. What you eat, cals in & cals out will fluctuate from day to day, as does the projection. I have used it in the past to decide if I will have that biscuit in the evening, I can see what I would lose if I didn't have it & compare it to what I would way if I did have it and then decide if I really want it :laugh: I assumed it was a motivational tool more than an accurate predictor.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would hope it is acurate but I wish it would take more than 1 day into consideration 'if you keep this pattern for x days you will weigh x '
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    That's a great question! And I feel sure it's probably pretty accurate :) Good luck to you!
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I really hope it's not accurate I'm looking at the Goals section not the food diary since I don't log food But I changed my workouts to 6 days a week for 30 minutes (even though I really do 60 minutes) and to lose 1 lb per week and it says I'll lose 5 lbs by March 6 Goodness I hope by March 6 I'm TEN lbs lighter not FIVE

If you don't log food what's the point of using MFP? Losing weight without a true calorie deficit means you need to burn all of those calories through exercise... in which case, good luck on those 10lbs. It's going to be a lot of running/etc!

I would say it has been pretty accurate for me. I think the accuracy really comes down to how honest you are with recording (every_single_thing that goes into your mouth), along with your base activity levels, etc. Remember that extremes in your weight will affect it too. Heavy people tend to lose weight much faster while light people tend to lose much, much slower. MFP tries to compensate for this using your BMR, but it can only do so much when you're at one extreme or the other.

Also remember if you're just starting your diet and eating healthy you're probably going to lose a lot of water weight, not actual fat. What it should say is "You would weigh Xlbs in 5 weeks if you were made purely from fat" :) since that's what the calculation is based on... and I promise we're all made up of more than that!
  • NewJay12
    NewJay12 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started 5 weeks ago - and I actually lost more than predicted. Like any of lifes endeavors - you get out what you put in to the program. 30 more pounds to go.
  • Tammysboys
    Options
    I am hoping it is true, would love to loose 20 pounds in 5 weeks:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I am hoping it is true, would love to loose 20 pounds in 5 weeks:flowerforyou:

this would mean you had a 2000 calorie deficit for today. That is far too low and you will not lose well if you are restricting calories this low. Just FYI
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!