Please explain sodium and drinking water????

Options
I'm confused about sodium (retaining water, not losing weight, why it's bad...) and also drinking MORE water to help LOSE water weight? Maybe I"m just not even understanding this right. But correct me if I'm wrong by saying the more sodium you eat the more water you'll retain, because sodium is salt and your body needs the water to help get rid of the salt??. And the more water you retain the less weight you'll lose? Is that right???

And secondly, how is it that drinking MORE water will help you lose water weight? Or is that not even true??? And also, what is a good amount of sodium to be eating each day. Mine says 2500 per day (I beleive...)

So am I correct in saying if I cut down my sodium, or at least stay within my range of 2500 per day, then I'll lose more weight? This past week I only lost .4 lbs.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I dont think it will make you lose more weight, but it will give you more acurate weight readings not to mention the health benefit. Drinking tons of water has so many wonderful effects. Yes, it flushes out overloaded fluid in our body retained by sodium. It keeps us from getting dehydrated, but I drink my water to help eliminate fat. The fat you lose when you lose weight has to come out some how. It gets filtered through your kidneys and you pee it out. So drink up!
  • mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I always weigh more the day after I go over on sodium. I mean like a couple pounds! I think that water flushes out your system and it makes you feel fuller. On another note though...sodium is not good for your blood pressure either.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bump (did I do this right? I'd really like to see the answer to this).

Also, some people on here have said that it is possible to be drinking too much water (not like a drowning myself point, but 20-25 glasses/day). Is this an impediment to weight loss?
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    With water goes sodium. Remember that they go hand in hand. When you drink more...you urinate more...thus you get rid of your body lets you get rid of some extra sodium. When you eat a lot of salt...and not a lot of water...you retain the water because you have so much sodium. P.S. diet soda has lots of sodium in it if you are a diet soda drinker. I started drinking my water hard core and I have definintely seen the difference!
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also many times when you feel hungry you are actually thirsty. If you drink water say 15 mins before eating your meals you should actually feel fuller faster.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, reducing the amount of sodium you consume will help you lose water weight that you've been retaining.

Your body retains water for a number of reasons, one of which is not drinking enough water. Our bodies are something like 70% water, so if you aren't consuming enough your body will hold on to it to make sure it has enough to help perform normal daily functions. When you start drinking more water your body stops holding onto the water because it knows it's getting enough.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I changed my sodium goal to 1600/day, and usually come in around 1000/day. It is true that drinking more water will help keep your body from retaining water - if your body is getting enough it will flush more out rather than holding onto to. I've found even if I drink extra water when my sodium intake is high it doesn't counteract it. It still takes a couple days for the water weight to leave.

Too much sodium and weight loss is a little tricky. Salt won't actually keep you from losing weight, it can just mask your efforts by making you retain water. I can gain as much as 5 lbs if I have a bad salt day - but I know I haven't actually gained 5 llbs. Initially when you lower sodium you will see big losses, but it's water weight - not fat lost.

Lowering your sodium intake is great for general health, not just weight loss. It's a little tricky learning how to cook/what to eat and stay within your goals - but once you get there it's pretty easy to maintain.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I will try to sum this up. When you are over on sodium, your body will retain water(and the weight that comes with it). The best way to get rid of the extra sodium, is to up your water intake and flush it out. The extra water removes the surplus of sodium and allows you to lose the "water weight" retained by the body to deal with the extra sodium. Sodium is a b*tch. Try to stay under!
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bump (did I do this right? I'd really like to see the answer to this).

Also, some people on here have said that it is possible to be drinking too much water (not like a drowning myself point, but 20-25 glasses/day). Is this an impediment to weight loss?

I can't say if it will effect your weight loss...BUT if you do drink too much water it can create an imbalance in your elektrolytes, thus, causing harm.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    sodium retains water making you look bloated cut down on salt and up your water