Stuck with 5-10 lbs to go

Options
I am SO close to my goal weight, but the scale has been stuck for three weeks. I'm eating between 1200-1500 calories, depending on if I work out (more calories on the days I do), I do interval training or run 4 days a week, drink plenty of water, and eat mostly "whole" unprocessed foods. Help! What can I do?

Replies

• CarthagoDelendaEst
    Options
    You may not want to do this, but I would eat more. Maybe 1800 calories, of course all healthy foods, for 2-3 days. This will give your body a shock, and hopefully break your plateau.

Also, vary your workout, do something your body hasn't experienced before/in a long time.

Your body has probably adapted to your exercise/eating habits. Change it up.

Hope this helps :)
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat....until last week, when my weight went up! It's so frustrating to work out each day, drink all of this water, and eating well (generally, I eat very well....sometimes I don't make great choices, but rarely do I ever go over 1200 calories) AND then GAIN WEIGHT!!!!

The only thing I can suggest is that you be stubborn! I am trying my best to stick with this. To tough it out, and keep it going! I'm being more strict with myself about every bite I eat being logged in to my food diary, and I've added an extra 1/2 hour of work-out each day (which is tough for people who don't have the time).

The other thing I would say is to NOT try any fad diets. I was 2 lbs. away from my goal range, and I tried a fasting program to cleanse and to jump start my weight loss....Well, I gained 3 lbs.! I lost most of it, and then I tried the slow-carb diet from the book 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss (eating high amounts of protein).....You guessed it! I gained another 3 lbs.!!! So, now I am sitting 4.4 lbs. higher than I was! My plan now is to go back to eating "normally" (before I tried these fad diets). I was losing, at least!
  • CarthagoDelendaEst
    Options
    Part of your problem is that you are not eating enough. Eating under 1200cals causes your body to try to hang on to every morsel fo fat you are trying to lose as you are technically starving your body of what it needs.

Once you eat more, you will probably gain weight, but then as you gradually decrease it again, the weight will come off, once your body is convinced you are feeding it enough.

Don't eat below 1200 cals, especially if you are exercising!
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    I am not eating below 1200. On days I exercise, I eat around 1500.
  • CarthagoDelendaEst
    Options
    Sorry Slender, my second post was not aimed at you, but at Sporty98.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eliminating any known food allergens? The most common are wheat (gluten), dairy and peanuts. A lot of people think these things cause inflammation which is related to weight gain etc. You might want to check out Ultra Metabolism. It's a book and website.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard/read, you should change your goal to 1/2 a pound to 1 pound a week at the most (I'm assuming you have it set higher, since you said on non-exercise days you eat around 1200 - but I could be wrong), and expect the last 5-10 pounds to take much longer than the rest took. The less you have to lose, the less your body tolerates a high calorie deficit. It will hold onto weight much more at a lower weight/bodyfat % than it will when you were more overweight.

If your goal is higher, then decreasing your goal loss per week will increase the calories you are supposed to eat - eat them! Lower deficit will mean slower loss, but your body will appreciate the lower deficit more and is more likely to "cooperate". A slow loss is better than being stuck!

PS - this is a great thread explaining the concept of needing a lower deficit as you get closer to your goal:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I'm reading the reply's with great interest as I am in the same position - just those last few lbs! While I dont weigh myself on a set schedule, generally I have stayed within a couple lbs (173-175) one way or the other for quite some time. I was surprised when I recently weighed myself after dinner at the end of the day and was 171! Then I checked again early the next morning and was 169! I wish I could say exactly why but I cant. I even splurged and had some pizza that weekend!! The only thing is that maybe it took 3-4 weeks since I joined this site and modified my eating habits for my body to start adapting. I see you have been with MFP a long time so that may not help you. I guess my point is just that maybe you can find a way to switch things up somehow, give it a little time, and see if that helps. Stay strong and dont get frustrated - Best wishes!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Try to eliminate starches after lunch, or after breakfast if you can manage.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My body does not want to budge off of 145. Also eating 12-1500/ day. I'm staying the course. I'm sick of the gym , so tomorrow I'm gonna do some yoga or something different. I want to lose another 5 lbs, but I'm trying to enjoy my new bod no matter what! I'm hoping by the summer I'll br in tip top form:)
  • walkers345
    walkers345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been on the slow carb regimen for two weeks. I had my second cheat day on Saturday where I went completely overboard and gained 4 pounds. It was extremely therapeutic and freeing, but I was very full by the end of the day. The week before, I gained 2.5 pounds after my cheat day, and it took me until thursday to lose most of it. I was still .5 pounds up from my start weight, I didn't lose anymore the rest of the week. So, in total, I was .5 pounds up from my original weight..uugghh.

I have been doing everything right EXCEPT, I have been having about 1--2 cups a day of 40 calorie a cup almond milk with my decaf coffee in the morning. I usually have one cup when I wake up and one cup mid morning. I don't know if almond milk has lactose in it, but I think I may need to cut it out altogether. :( I run 3-4 times a week and do weight training 2x a week, I have noticed that I definitely have a lot less energy during my workouts. Of course, my post-binge workout is amazing, and I can run for miles. This week, I am going to cut the almond milk and see where that gets me. I usually am around 1200-1600 calories a day, and am a little frustrated with the NO Weight Loss. My sister and brother-in-law have lost 5lbs and 7lbs in the first week!
  • walkers345
    Options
    Sporty98, have you had any more progress?
  • amysambora
    Options
    I am SO close to my goal weight, but the scale has been stuck for three weeks. I'm eating between 1200-1500 calories, depending on if I work out (more calories on the days I do), I do interval training or run 4 days a week, drink plenty of water, and eat mostly "whole" unprocessed foods. Help! What can I do?

I am in exactly the same boat as you. 5-10lbs left to go, eating 1200-1500 calories and working out 4 days a week. Unfortunately the less you have to lose, the slower your progress. I've been stuck at virtually the same weight for over a month now. I have, however, lost inches. I haven't been measuring but all my clothes are looser and people keep commenting that I look smaller. Try to not focus on the scale so much! It may not be moving right now, but you're still working towards your goal. it's hard, but keep at it and hopefully the numbers will start to change soon!
  • walkers345
    Options
    Thanks Amy,

I intend to keep at it. I, too have about 10lbs to lose. I haven't lost any inches yet, but I have been told my face looks thinner. It's great that I actually enjoy this way of eating. It's not really difficult to do, and I just feel mentally great that I'm putting only good things in my body (for 6 days a week). I will not to put so much emphasis on the scale.

:smile:
  • walkers345
    Options
    :-)
  • aesoprok
    Options
    I know a lot of people are going to dissagree with me, but i'm going to give you the truest response i can, from experience.

Drink a lot of water, unsweetened tea, and black coffee. Replace 1/4 of the calories you consume in carbs with lean protien and vegetables. Make sure you do a half hour of cardio each day. The average diet should be made up of no more than 30% calories coming from fat - try to cut that down to 10. You can do that by substituting vegetable broth for the butter / oil you usually use to cook foods.
  • amysambora
    Options
    I finally managed to lose a pound this week, and it was the day after I had a 'cheat meal' - a big ice cream sundae with nuts and chocolate sauce! The cheat meal thing was something I hadn't done since I started MFP, I've had treats here and there (don't believe in depriving myself) but I hadn't had a blow out like that - maybe it kicked my metabolism into gear? So that could be something to try.
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    I know a lot of people are going to dissagree with me, but i'm going to give you the truest response i can, from experience.

Drink a lot of water, unsweetened tea, and black coffee. Replace 1/4 of the calories you consume in carbs with lean protien and vegetables. Make sure you do a half hour of cardio each day. The average diet should be made up of no more than 30% calories coming from fat - try to cut that down to 10. You can do that by substituting vegetable broth for the butter / oil you usually use to cook foods.

She's totally right on this one!
  • HunterEQGirl43
    Options
    Slender1:
    Also remember that muscle weights more than fat. So while you are working out, muscle is building.
    That's why people who are muscular sink and people who are fat float in water. I too am having
    trouble with the last 5 pounds. Im at 110.65 now but my goal is 105. A suggestion eat healthy
    amount of protein and still workout like you are. I also suggest avoid eating red meat. Focus
    on eating more "healthier" meats such as fish, seafood, or turkey. I'm not saying others meats
    are bad for you, I just know that in seafood and fish, they're low in fat and have a good amount
    of calories if cooked and served "healthy," along with great amounts of protein. But also remember
    this amount of protein needs to be put into "to go use."